"Dude, Where's My Car?" - April 22, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Very well said, @DrTom
Ray
Colin

Post by Colin »

A bit late in the week, but this is a great driving song. I will think of this meta when listening to it on my next road trip…

One world. One planet. One future.
Darth

Post by Darth »

This puzzle, like any good art, produced a lot of comment! I submitted DAYTONA and thanks to my podracer landed on the "sand" quickly -- note I was careful not to say "the beach" in case it would be considered a spoiler. :lol:

When a few other muggles mentioned a certain Lincoln Continental logo to me, I started to think I had landed on the wrong planet! After all, Lincoln is a place name and Continental might make sense in terms of the USA occupying a large part of North America. The three vertical lines seemed like in good placement, too, and sometimes that's how a meta can come together. As a visual person, I could "see" it and then I started to doubt myself.

But I had to trust the creator... It was clear that the two AZ combinations as well as the NM and WA were planned parts of the construction even though the CO and CA combos were harder to discern (especially COCA and CODA).

However, when I went back to my scribbling, I saw I had mistakenly read CAHN as CAAN giving me the A when I first solved... :shock: :oops: Panic and embarrassment! I was now only 85.7% sure I had the right answer. Just so you know, I had made an error in arriving at the correct answer.

R.png