"Body Language" - March 25, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our Sunday report finds 4 on the ship and 217 on the shore or a shore or stepping into the jaws of a crocodile

vandono joined the ship's contingent to form a fourth for bridge

and making their way to shore are

JaneGummy
TheDeej
mrmd
regfish
katnahat
Ann
mikeB
Notbitter
JRS51
Kas
patpatchica
Prozach
PhantomPhan
Olof
Jarrod
JoeFlanders
sphorning
Anaerobe
DannyWalter
martimeryard
SamanthaA
khanthedane
femullen

I love the young kid's stories. Been there, done that with two generations of toddlers
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

ship4u wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:51 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:49 pm Alas, I am most assuredly not on shore, despite my snarky claim. Once again, I committed the dreaded "Grilled Ham and Cheese" offense. A "Grilled Ham and Cheese, or "Ghac" (which is exactly the sound made by one who commits such a faux pas) is when you're in such a hurry to show how smart you are that you make a stupid/very stupid mistake and send in a super-quick but super-wrong answer; resulting in public shame and a complete erasure and destruction of a smug smirk. (a "ghac" differs slightly from being "pageanted," because the latter phenomenon stems from a group of solvers being fooled by a constructor; whereas a "ghac" falls to one fool alone). Having done so means a) I should be found guilty on one count of POE, b) all but 9 solvers get to move one step closer to the top, c) I should spend the rest of the week doing naked push-ups on a coral reef (you'll want to avoid picturing that), and d) I don't deserve the Guinness I requested. Still gonna drink it; I just don't deserve it.
My Jesuit friends believe in the importance of Humility and they actually pray for it. "Let me realize that when I am humble I am most human, most truthful, and most worthy of Your serious consideration."

There ya go, @Al Sisti , don't you feel better now?! (interrobang) :)
Sometimes a gourmet meal needs a simple sorbet thrown in to cleanse the palate, in order to regroup and better savor what follows... and sometimes that sorbet comes in the form of humble pie.
OliviaL

Post by OliviaL »

On shore. Celebrating with a Gallo in Guatemala!! Salud!
anaerobe

Post by anaerobe »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:26 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:49 pm Alas, I am most assuredly not on shore, despite my snarky claim. Once again, I committed the dreaded "Grilled Ham and Cheese" offense. A "Grilled Ham and Cheese, or "Ghac" (which is exactly the sound made by one who commits such a faux pas) is when you're in such a hurry to show how smart you are that you make a stupid/very stupid mistake and send in a super-quick but super-wrong answer; resulting in public shame and a complete erasure and destruction of a smug smirk. (a "ghac" differs slightly from being "pageanted," because the latter phenomenon stems from a group of solvers being fooled by a constructor; whereas a "ghac" falls to one fool alone). Having done so means a) I should be found guilty on one count of POE, b) all but 9 solvers get to move one step closer to the top, c) I should spend the rest of the week doing naked push-ups on a coral reef (you'll want to avoid picturing that), and d) I don't deserve the Guinness I requested. Still gonna drink it; I just don't deserve it.
My Jesuit friends believe in the importance of Humility and they actually pray for it. "Let me realize that when I am humble I am most human, most truthful, and most worthy of Your serious consideration."

Sometimes a gourmet meal needs a simple sorbet thrown in to cleanse the palate, in order to regroup and better savor what follows... and sometimes that sorbet comes in the form of humble pie.
Something tells me Al's descent to the level of the rest of us mortals will be short lived. My suggestion is we not give away his spot on page 1 of the weekly forum juuuuuust yet..........
Guy

Post by Guy »

Ashore !
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Ashore. I think I’ll have a 🍸.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:26 pm

I believe that more than on serving will be available tomorrow
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Late start, quick finish. To me it could be two answers, both meaning the same thing. I am a deductive logic kind of person and that's why Shenk's meta are fairly straightforward; Gaffney's are more based on inductive logic. Anyway, i'll walk the dark side of inductive path for my submission with this one
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

On shore! Fun swim!
It's a coffee table book about coffee tables
Barney

Post by Barney »

‽‽‽

My accomplishment of the day.
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

On shore, but would have stopped at the floating raft had I not been nudged to keep swimming.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Got one toe on shore, I think.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Just had an opportunity to look at it in O’Hare on our way home from the worst spring break ever: clearing out the home of lost family member.

I think I see what I need to do to solve, just don’t have the mental energy for it. Or a pen and paper. I think I could do it if I had one or the other.
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Have I been away? Nope, just been stumped.

Until now. First meta solve in over a month. Feels good. I submitted a wrong answer, but I don't care. I know what the right answer is!

Was it really like this in medieval times? What do they need the shields for?
Comic_20220210.jpg
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Made it to the ship at least. I am so stressed out. Anyone else?

I’ve been doing Wordle, German Wordle, hello wordl, Absurdle and lately spelling bee on NYT.
Bill_Swerski_13

Post by Bill_Swerski_13 »

Flying to Hawaii in 4 days for the first time, but I'm on a different beach today! fun solve.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Ashore with a few hours to spare, once I finally got a breather this evening from travel and other weekend busyness that let me look over the grid more thoroughly.

After stepping into a few rabbit holes that didn't go very deep (fortunately), I spotted some "coincidences" that suggested a mechanism, which in turn yielded an appropriate answer. Then again, most "coincidences" in meta puzzles turn out to not be coincidences once they start repeating themselves.
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

Ashore. US 5-0 over Panama. Nice.
Heyitshayjay

Post by Heyitshayjay »

ashore... after being dragged kicking and screaming through the surf by a few helpful Muggles as the sun was setting

Moral of the story - sometimes it just takes a village
Tripod

Post by Tripod »

Ashore. Feels good to be back after a long, long hiatus.