MEOW #68: Excalibur

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Hint day?
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Nudges!

57A is the key

Be careful how you parse it
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Who let the cat out? This guy.

Thanks for the puzzle
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Sigh.. hate when the nudges are something that I already suspected but still don't know how to use :-)

(Update: I'm an idiot)
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

OK, cat’s finally out after I somehow tied myself into the bag with the cat since Wednesday. And only solved w/help from Dr. Tom. My puzzle solve order was WSJ and Matt Gaffney’s both on Friday and the MEOW on Saturday. Resting up tomorrow in hope of having the energy to get off the couch on Monday.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
rjy

Post by rjy »

Cat’s finally de-bagged, thanks to a welcome nudge by the Good Doctor. Enjoyed wrestling with this, Josh!
Ray
woozy

Post by woozy »

I needed the second nudge (which is weird because I was doing what the second nudge said just in a different way). Needed a leading question from Dr. Tom to see what to do with it.
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

The cat is in rough shape after a long struggle to escape but finally on the loose.

I needed the nudges and some additional direction. I was typing up a request for even more help when writing about what I had tried jogged my brain to try that one more thing.

Thanks for your generosity RJY!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Hate to need a more direct nudge on this, but the two posted were already in my bag o’tricks on this one. Just can’t land it. Help?

UPDATE - got the help I need, and changed tacks. Got it right away… of course of course, THAT. Tnx for nudges!!
The other Wendy. :roll:
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Finally sat down to do a week’s worth of metas and got this (with help of first nudge and a head slapping moment). Cat is roaming free. :)
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

I’m still stumped
Last edited by SJMcK on Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steven McKinney
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

SJMcK wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:14 pm I’ll still stumped
Me too
KayW

Post by KayW »

Ergcat wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:26 am
SJMcK wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:14 pm I’ll still stumped
Me too
Me three :shock: :shock: :shock:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Solution:

The key was to parse 57A as "S WORDS". The clues to the entries that started with S [should have] spelled out the answer, STRONG-HANDEDNESS
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer