"Poets' Corner" - July 26, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:05 am Happily on shore. Poetry is not my forte. I was a math major and the only poem I remember involves a man from Nantucket. Thank goodness for Mr G.
Oh, I know the rest..."who did complex equations in buckets, he said in a daze while working with Bayes, if my shirt tail comes out I'll just tuck it.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

On shore! Thanks Wendy for filling in!
docison wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:51 pm
BrianMac wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:38 pm
docison wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:31 pmAnyone going to Boswords on Sunday?
I would like to go, but it's a 3-hour drive, and with Lollapuzzula in August, I doubt I'll make it up there. My wife has limited patience for me taking the whole day to "play crosswords." Going to play it by ear, though. Are you going?
I am, but it's only a 15 minute drive for me. I've convinced my wife that, out of all the vices a husband could have, crosswords aren't so bad! Boswords is great fun for anyone in the area. I plan on going to Lolla next month also (never been to that one).
My wife is actually pretty good about it as well, especially seeing that I go to 4 tournaments a year (maybe 5 now that I know about Boswords!) and one of them (ACPT) is an all-weekend event. Unfortunately, I just found out I can't make it to either Lollapuzzoola or Boswrds this year. :x :x :x Bad planning on my end. You will have a great time at Lollapuzzoola. I'm bummed to be missing that one. Lots of friendly people. That has actually been my experience at every crossword tournament I've gone to. I am not anywhere near being competitive at these things, but it's always fun to meet and solve with a room full of very smart and nice people.
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

Solved - the last step eluded me for a few minutes there but then I got it, nice one!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

We were a Funk & Wagnalls house. Please no limericks about that! Although HS was heavy on English, in-class recitations (and Latin), my college didn't even have an English department! So, the poetry knowledge was limited, at best. Thanks, again, Mr G.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Approaching shore but the final step towards the sand is eluding me. Like others, i want it to be the obvious choice, but the letters are just off. Will continue wading among the sand crabs until i see the right corner.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

I join the legions on shore and like many, I needed Mr. G. and am very impressed with the construction of the puzzle.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Count me on shore. I saw nothing last night but found a path this morning. Not crazy about the word I came up with so will think about it some more before submitting, but pretty sure I'm right.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

SewYoung wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:57 am Count me on shore. I saw nothing last night but found a path this morning. Not crazy about the word I came up with so will think about it some more before submitting, but pretty sure I'm right.
Post enlightenment... Just came up with the better word. Glad I hesitated.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

On shore ... after a stop-over for some "hair of the doggerel that bit me" with Isaac. Have a great weekend, all.
Noneedforaname

Post by Noneedforaname »

Ashore! Right up this English Lit major’s alley😃
juliet

Post by juliet »

Happily ashore!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Noneedforaname wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:21 am Ashore! Right up this English Lit major’s alley😃
With half of my ancestors coming from the Northern England and the others from near Vilnius Lithuania, I thought I was English Lit! Alas, I opted out of OCS so never made Major. Still, this must be why I like poetry?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
jakeorjacob

Post by jakeorjacob »

Ashore, I do believe! Had a tough time with the fill, but the meta fell into place without too much trouble.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

On shore! I think this is now 4 in a row, after being unable to figure out the first two or three I tried. I think I might be getting the hang of this.

Nice one.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved, after a little studying. The method and answer did not jump out at me immediately.
Cynthia
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

Tough grid for me. Got lucky and found the answer. Very nice construction! On shore!
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

On shore after an enjoyable swim. Thanks Mike!
Darryl H.

Post by Darryl H. »

ashore! Needed some Mr. G help to see who wrote what... then it was done and dusted. I imagine that there are a fair number of muggles ashore for a week 4, no?
Cbakerriver

Post by Cbakerriver »

Solved!
Janet

Post by Janet »

Joining the solver's corner on the beach.