"Poets' Corner" - July 26, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
TMart

Post by TMart »

On shore, a little late to the party. Hope there's some Guinness left.

Nice construction on this one - that particular method is one of my usual rabbit holes that never seems to pan out.
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

Speaking metaphysically, this was a quickie.
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
Bill Harts

Post by Bill Harts »

On shore.

Grid was tough but meta came instantly.
Abide

Post by Abide »

I thought this one was quite brilliant. Several step process for me. (There seems to be an alternate, albeit incorrect, answer.)
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Made it to shore, but needed to set it aside for a while to cogitate on it before finding the (correct) final step.

Marie Kelly does seem to be taking it easy on us lately.
Rufus T. Firefly
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Happily on shore. Thank you Mike for a fun time.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I may be late to the party, but the night is still young! Clever construction on this one. With no one on the ship, Isaac may have to come ashore to help at the crowded tiki bar.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Google was kind enough to row me to shore - the whole trip took a mercifully short 14 minutes, with gentle waves and a light breeze.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore. Poem is not my cup of tea, so I needed Mr G's help after completing the grid.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Happily on shore. Poetry is not my forte. I was a math major and the only poem I remember involves a man from Nantucket. Thank goodness for Mr G.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved. Could not do it last night after a full 97 degree day and evening in Prague. Prague/Phoenix. They both start with P and have dry heat. I just didn’t plan to vacation in Phoenix in July. Now for the inkubator.

Lolla in August for me as well.
Last edited by Cindy on Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
HowardHuddleston

Post by HowardHuddleston »

On the beach at 0240. Cindy is on here too, hope she gets it!! Myself? Woke up & couldn't go back to sleep!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I have solved. And now I have solved inkubator also! It’s 9:54 am in Prague.
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

Let us go then. You and I... To the shore. Great construction. And why do people get upset when a word they didn't know appears in a puzzle? Isn't that a part of the pleasure we get. I know it is for me. On the shore then off to Niagara Falls with our grandson... I know, I know : slowly I turned...
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Hey Wendy! I’m here at a table at the back of the barroom. Isaac’s bar is set too high for this short person. Fueling up with a few mimosas before heading back to the stern for a day in the garden.
Grid done. Meta undone. Will tackle that later sitting by a lamp under a palm back there.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

On shore! Saw two possible answers but determined which had to be the correct one...
KayW

Post by KayW »

On shore!

Fun and fast solve, tho I definitely needed to fire up the search engines to get there. Hope there's room on the beach!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

On shore. Nice one.
Diana

Post by Diana »

I made it on land. Come and see my little hut built upon the sand.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I no longer fear thee ancient puzzler...well not this week at least. About a 40% Googlefest but I'll take it. I also have to say there were two possible words and part of me desperately wanted to submit the second just because. But that word would have fit better several weeks ago; I'm still getting over my chemical burn.

Thanks Isaac, I'll make my own Negroni today...pass the Bombay.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!