"Poets' Corner" - July 26, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

hcbirker wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:31 pm If it weren't for Google, we'd all have to have a set of encyclopedias! (Heidi)
Some of us still do! 1961 World Book with annuals through 1980 or so :)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Now 100% ashore. Very nice.

Going local with West Side Brewing's Schwarzbier.

WS Schwarzbier.GIF
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

On shore.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

Janet P wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:16 pm
hcbirker wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:31 pm If it weren't for Google, we'd all have to have a set of encyclopedias! (Heidi)
I (sadly) let my 1970 World Book go when I cleaned out my Dad's house a few years ago. I couldn't justify the shipping cost from Massachusetts to California. I also had about 20 yers worth of YearBooks.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

billkatz wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:45 pm
I (sadly) let my 1970 World Book go when I cleaned out my Dad's house a few years ago. I couldn't justify the shipping cost from Massachusetts to California. I also had about 20 yers worth of YearBooks.
Have a mid-Sixties set placed in the attic when children were graduated from high school, alongside the unabridged Webster's bought at a yard sale 30 years ago for $5.00.

"Dad, how do you spell..."

"Look it up in the big blue book!"
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

BTW, the adjective derived from the answer has changed its meaning in the last few decades, having become unmoored from the narrower meaning of that answer-word. (And when I say โ€œchanged its meaningโ€ what my inner prescriptivist-curmudgeon really wants to say โ€” just between you and I โ€” is that everyone is now using it incorrectly, the way they use fortuitous to mean lucky, and for the same reason โ€” it sounds so much more sophisticated than plain old fortunate.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Wow, now I know how little I know about poetry. But solved nevertheless.
I really wanted to submit in rhyme; unfortunaltely did not have the time. I've got fever & chills, so I gotta head for the hills.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:57 pm
billkatz wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:45 pm

Have a mid-Sixties set placed in the attic when children were graduated from high school, alongside the unabridged Webster's bought at a yard sale 30 years ago for $5.00.

"Dad, how do you spell..."

"Look it up in the big blue book!"
Top prize in this category will go to anyone who sold them door-to-door. Not me. We had the red-blue World Book when I was growing up. And later I won an encyclopedia set -- can't recall the name, but it was truly inferior -- and it took me a long time to find someone willing to led me unload it on them.
Jay
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Ashore. Clever once again, Mike!!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Ashore! That was lovely. And well-constructed.

I pushed myself to solve as much as I could without Google and got a nice aha finding each piece. But I did use Mr G to confirm because I only knew two of the poems. Iโ€™m glad I now know the others. 18A got to me a little.

On to Week 4!
LesY

Post by LesY »

And the stories about encyclopedias are great! In my house it was The New Book of Knowledge.

It says something that my grandparents - who did not have a lot of money - prioritized something like that as a gift.

P.S. Thank you to Wendy for filling in this week!
steveb

Post by steveb »

Done and done. Nice construction!
steveb

Post by steveb »

Bird Lives wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:01 pm BTW, the adjective derived from the answer has changed its meaning in the last few decades, having become unmoored from the narrower meaning of that answer-word. (And when I say โ€œchanged its meaningโ€ what my inner prescriptivist-curmudgeon really wants to say โ€” just between you and I โ€” is that everyone is now using it incorrectly, the way they use fortuitous to mean lucky, and for the same reason โ€” it sounds so much more sophisticated than plain old fortunate.
Ahem - since we're on the topic of correct usage, didn't you mean "just between you and me"?
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

On shore, tough grid for me & needed the Google life preserver to get to shore.
docison

Post by docison »

BrianMac wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:38 pm
docison wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:31 pmAnyone going to Boswords on Sunday?
I would like to go, but it's a 3-hour drive, and with Lollapuzzula in August, I doubt I'll make it up there. My wife has limited patience for me taking the whole day to "play crosswords." Going to play it by ear, though. Are you going?
I am, but it's only a 15 minute drive for me. I've convinced my wife that, out of all the vices a husband could have, crosswords aren't so bad! Boswords is great fun for anyone in the area. I plan on going to Lolla next month also (never been to that one).
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

On shore.
BethA

Post by BethA »

On the beach! ๐Ÿ– ๐Ÿน with Romulan ale (blue margarita) this week!

Not in my wheelhouse, so seemed scary at first, but its 12A is undeniable!
Enjoyed it!
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Done and done
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

This is getting to be one crowded beach, with 44 Muggles already enjoying the seafront amenities and absolutely no one in Isaac's bar. Glad I wasn't the only one who needed Google this week -- and I was an English major! Thursday evening report: Anita, Al, ALS, Bill Katz, Cruise Director Bob, Beth A, Barbara K, Bird Lives, Brian Davidson, Chris Kochmanski, Drabble, Docison, Dave Kennison, Darth Driessen, Doug Morack, DB Miller, Frankie, Gamera, GD Short, Hector, Heidi, Inca, Janet P, Joe Quavis, Jimmy Jam, Jacksull (with nice Lewis Carroll quote), Joe Ross, Julie O, Ky-mike, Laura M, Les Y, Meg, Mark L, M Heberling, O Guy Dave, Peter Leea1a, Scott Medvetz, Scooby, Streroto, Steve B, Toby, Tony S, Tina, and Trey & Marion.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

steveb wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:43 pm
Bird Lives wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:01 pm BTW, the adjective derived from the answer has changed its meaning in the last few decades, having become unmoored from the narrower meaning of that answer-word. (And when I say โ€œchanged its meaningโ€ what my inner prescriptivist-curmudgeon really wants to say โ€” just between you and I โ€” is that everyone is now using it incorrectly, the way they use fortuitous to mean lucky, and for the same reason โ€” it sounds so much more sophisticated than plain old fortunate.
Ahem - since we're on the topic of correct usage, didn't you mean "just between you and me"?
That was the point.
Jay