"AP Chemistry" - July 12, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved. Thanks, Pete and Milo.
Cynthia
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are definitely on shore........almost made a short stop but kept digging - few rabbit holes, but finally found the one with the real bunny.......voila. Count us in the sand!!
dmorack

Post by dmorack »

On shore. Add this one to my top 10. Extremely well constructed and I enjoyed completing the meta. I'm hoping for more puzzles from Pete and Milo for the WSJCC to give Matt and Mike a break once in a while. They deserve it.
-Doug Morack
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I'm on shore finally.
I ended up backsolving from a guess. I realized that I missed something in step 1.
If I'd done step 1 correctly I would have solved the contest part in 5-10 minutes instead of 2+ hours. :( I'm mad at myself for this one.

There are a huge number of rabbit holes that I went down. I'll say more when the contest is over.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, I guess I am making htis too hard as usual. I got the "A" part quickly, it's the "HA" part that I cannot find. It looks like I should know it, but I cannot make that final step that would say "Final Answer". If I phumfle this up I am going ot be soooo mad.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I'm pretty sure I'm on the right shore, bedraggled and sunburned, but I think that there must be a more direct route than the one I took!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Got a late start on this one. I got the grid pretty quickly, but my swim to shore felt like it took forever. Now that I am there I’d like to congratulate Pete and Milo on a great puzzle. Please come back soon, that was a lot of fun.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Okay. I’ve gone over the grid from stem to stern, and have decided to let you STEM majors have a field day with this meta while I go back to my field of flowers. I’ll be doubly grateful there are no rabbits in the gardens today. My favorite time of the year, when the delphiniums come into bloom amidst the peonies. A mimosa to go, Isaac!
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:02 am
Jim and Anita wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:48 am Our son Bill and his family came to help us celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary today and last night Bill and Jim showed that two heads are better than one in solving this meta. Kudos to the constructors for giving their brains quite the workout. We are delighted to toast you on the beach.
Happy Anniversary!!
Thank you BarbaraK. :)
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:46 am
Jim and Anita wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:48 am Our son Bill and his family came to help us celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary today and last night Bill and Jim showed that two heads are better than one in solving this meta. Kudos to the constructors for giving their brains quite the workout. We are delighted to toast you on the beach.
Jim and Anita
congratulations on your 50th anniversary. My wife and I will be celebration ours in another few weeks.
Thank you Bob cruise director. And congratulations to you and your wife. That was the summer that Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon--amazing how a half century can fly by. We wish you a wonderful celebration.:)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Finally caught up with the other pulls on my time and had a chance to get back to this...and there it was. I literally had it on Thursday and didn't realize it. Excellent puzzle; hope to see more from this pair.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Well, I have submitted and am "almost" confident enough to say I have made it to shore. It was a tough grid!

Could someone recount the saga/legend of "PAGEANT?" I see it referenced and suspect it refers to a meta that had an unexpected answer.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Dennis wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:32 am Well, I have submitted and am "almost" confident enough to say I have made it to shore. It was a tough grid!

Could someone recount the saga/legend of "PAGEANT?" I see it referenced and suspect it refers to a meta that had an unexpected answer.
Dennis, look at:
Board Index
Come Aboard
FAQs Community

It was a difficult time for many of us. Now we live in fear.......
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Adrift for the time being
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Rats!
I don’t know what you call my current status.
I thought I was on shore. But, a giant wave came and wooshed me back out to sea.
I woke up this morning and realized that I’ve submitted the wrong solution. 🤷‍♀️
Ah, well - Here’s to next week! 😄
Konnie
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Aha moment at 35,000 feet. Safely ashore. Will enjoy reading about it on Monday. Very clever on so many levels.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Still haven't gotten this one. I have all the ingredients, but the reaction isn't happening!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Jim and Anita wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:29 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:46 am
Jim and Anita
congratulations on your 50th anniversary. My wife and I will be celebration ours in another few weeks.
Thank you Bob cruise director. And congratulations to you and your wife. That was the summer that Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon--amazing how a half century can fly by. We wish you a wonderful celebration.:)
I am trying to remember if Armstrong set foot on the moon Sunday night (July 20) or early Monday morning (July 21) here on the east coast. I remember they landed and then we all waited and waited and waited for them to get out.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Dennis wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:32 am Well, I have submitted and am "almost" confident enough to say I have made it to shore. It was a tough grid!

Dennis - If you look on this blog under Come Aboard/ FAQ- Community, there is a writeup on the background of being Pageanted. (a little to long to repost here). Also some of the backstories on where this ship/shore stuff came from .

Best to read with a cool drink in your hand.

Enjoy
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

ImOnToo wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:58 am Rats!
I don’t know what you call my current status.
I thought I was on shore. But, a giant wave came and wooshed me back out to sea.
I woke up this morning and realized that I’ve submitted the wrong solution. 🤷‍♀️
Ah, well - Here’s to next week! 😄
We have all been there and realize that we are on the back of a whale.

But for our counting, you are on the shore.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director