"He's Good" - July 5, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

oldjudge wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:12 pm Heidi—Interesting, we are in Pasadena in the San Gabriel foothills and we literally had a wave pass by which got a few chandeliers shaking and the windows rattling but that was it. I was standing and felt nothing. The wave took a second at most to pass. Strange that you felt more in Studio City.
Earthquakes are funny depending on topography and the type of soil. We're near a river and the soil is more sandy, as opposed to rocky. If you look at seismology maps, it can travel in different ways. This one was felt all the way to Mexico. (Heidi)
Heidi
Toby

Post by Toby »

I forgot it was Thursday! Nice quick solve.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are in the sand..........last week we were still glub-glubbing in the damn boat. Sand feels good this week!

Luck to all........mug time!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Didn't get to it until a little while ago, but I made it to shore quickly! I like the ones where everything is wrapped up neatly, and this one practically has a bow :-)
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

On shore for the first time in forever. I was beginning to think I'd forgotten how to solve metas.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Wait, it’s BRIAN, our forum’s creator, who’s in Petoskey, not Matt G. Sorry, Brian. We’re on the road, I’m puzzling on the fly, and I haven’t quite figured out the response mechanism here. Anyway, I envy you your week on Walloon Lake. We’ve had a couple of brief stays at Hotel Walloon (wonderful!), but only in winter, as it costs so much this time of year. Enjoy!
SusanF

Post by SusanF »

On shore - appreciated this one as I ease back into puzzle world after long hiatus! Soft landing....
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Streroto wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:26 pm Ashore. First time poster but ceramic-holding muggle! I’ve enjoyed reading and am happy to join the crew.
Welcome to the group. Always great to have another muggle. We now have 427 in the clan
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

SusanF wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:01 am On shore - appreciated this one as I ease back into puzzle world after long hiatus! Soft landing....
Welcome back. We missed you
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

FrankieHeck wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:30 pm Almost forgot it was puzzle day! But onshore quickly.
I know, same here!! What with the change in mid-week routine, it didn't even hit me until 4:30 p.m. that it was Puzzle Day!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Stukmn

Post by Stukmn »

On shore with drink in hand after being out of the country for the last two. Tried those ones out when I got back to civilization and I would have been on the boat far away from shore!
Don’t bother me until I’ve had my coffee and done the crossword.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

On shore!
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Got it. Glad after missing last week.
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

On shore! Good one Matt!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

oldjudge wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:12 pm Heidi—Interesting, we are in Pasadena in the San Gabriel foothills and we literally had a wave pass by which got a few chandeliers shaking and the windows rattling but that was it. I was standing and felt nothing. The wave took a second at most to pass. Strange that you felt more in Studio City.
Having lived in Arcadia for a few years, I seen to remember something about the San Gabriels and surrounding gravel-rich soil that can dampen the quakes(??). Only felt two quakes out there between '01 and '09. Quite unnerving for a native New Englander! Be safe!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

On shore.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

I am abeach. (I know, "Funny, you don't look like one!")

Natural fireworks put on quite a show around here yesterday making far more noise and light than any man-made fireworks. Be safe & Enjoy the remainder of your extended weekends!!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

Made it ashore, liked this one a lot!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Great town! Took a golf trip to UP last summer, and went to Pallette’s and this place
https://images.app.goo.gl/UfJRnd7QEQwwaDbm8
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Matt Gaffney. He’s Good!