"He's Good" - July 5, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Nice to have a non-stumper that still draws on nollige. Meta fresh air.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

On shore.
It was nice of Matt Gaffney to give us such an easy one this week for the holiday weekend. I probably haven't solved a Friday puzzle grid this quickly before.
I don't know if I've seen this one before like some others have mentioned, but it's similar enough to others I've done that the solution was the first thing to come to mind.
Sean

Post by Sean »

On the beach!
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

On shore and wishing all of you a safe, relaxing and meaningful Fourth ... wherever you are, whomever you're with and whatever's in your glass!
docison

Post by docison »

On shore. Think it may be a while since I've posted - the change in website has me a bit flummoxed - but I'm on shore now, as I have been for the last several weeks. Happy 4th to all.
Tina

Post by Tina »

On shore. Nice to have my puzzle groove back after last weekend's double doozy.
Anita

Post by Anita »

On shore! Got this one almost instantly.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

That was fun! We had a rocking 4th this morning with a 6.4 earthquake. It was far enough away from us that the earth just kept rolling under our feet. I was afraid that would mean I would be on the ship with Isaac this weekend, but luckily not! Joyful 4th to everyone, and keep your fingers crossed we don't get another one closer! (Heidi)
Heidi
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved; sometimes you just see it.
Cynthia
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Onshore in under ten minutes - a nice feeling after last week's debacle!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

On shore. The grid was really easy, similar to a Monday puzzle. I thought the meta was neat—nice job Matt. Happy 4th to you all. BTW, we also felt the earthquake this morning, a few chandeliers swayed and the windows rattled. No damage though, thank goodness.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

hcbirker wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:38 pm That was fun! We had a rocking 4th this morning with a 6.4 earthquake. It was far enough away from us that the earth just kept rolling under our feet. I was afraid that would mean I would be on the ship with Isaac this weekend, but luckily not! Joyful 4th to everyone, and keep your fingers crossed we don't get another one closer! (Heidi)
Where are you? I thought the earthquake was centered at Ridgecrest
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Almost forgot it was puzzle day! But onshore quickly.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Took me a little longer than it seems to have taken most, but I am safely on shore. Nice win after a double-miss last week between WSJ and MGWCC.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Hardly got started and I was finished.
Jay
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Nice to get on shore quickly after struggling so much recently.

Matt, as lifelong Michiganders, Lynne and I get to Petoskey frequently. We’ll be staying a couple of nights at the Terrace Inn in about 10 days. The Perry Hotel is our usual stay up there. Truly beautiful. Can’t exactly tell where you are from your photo. Walloon Lake, perhaps?
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:20 pm
hcbirker wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:38 pm That was fun! We had a rocking 4th this morning with a 6.4 earthquake. It was far enough away from us that the earth just kept rolling under our feet. I was afraid that would mean I would be on the ship with Isaac this weekend, but luckily not! Joyful 4th to everyone, and keep your fingers crossed we don't get another one closer! (Heidi)
Where are you? I thought the earthquake was centered at Ridgecrest
I'm in Studio City near Hollywood. It rolled for at least 20 seconds. Hanging fans were swaying. My son in Long Beach felt it too. 6.4 can be felt a long way! We went through the Northridge quake in 1994. Bounced in my bed like a trampoline. Filled a trash can with with broken glass. (Heidi)
Heidi
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:52 pmMatt, as lifelong Michiganders, Lynne and I get to Petoskey frequently. We’ll be staying a couple of nights at the Terrace Inn in about 10 days. The Perry Hotel is our usual stay up there. Truly beautiful. Can’t exactly tell where you are from your photo. Walloon Lake, perhaps?
Yes, Walloon Lake! Wow, that is very impressive! My folks "discovered" Waloon in 93, bought in 94 and we haven't missed a 4th here since. My mom is still here every May to October, but unfortunately, I only make it back once a year, twice if I'm lucky.

Have a great trip!!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Heidi—Interesting, we are in Pasadena in the San Gabriel foothills and we literally had a wave pass by which got a few chandeliers shaking and the windows rattling but that was it. I was standing and felt nothing. The wave took a second at most to pass. Strange that you felt more in Studio City.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Solved and relaxing on a long weekend... classic gaffney...enjoyed it....

In Petoskey just last week,,enjoyed it and the UP, First time to pictured rocks!