"The Fourth Man" - June 28, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:16 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:07 pm If you are looking for a great vacation 12D is a great place. We went there in March a couple of years ago for less than going to Florida for the same time. Weather was perfect
12D? Salon creations?
22D
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Woot! On the shore for sure. Saw a rabbit and then verified the rabbit was real. Time to hit the beach for the weekend - sadly, only metaphorically.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

PeterLeea1a wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:24 am Trying not to overthink... but still not getting it.
I think I must be overthinking what "trying not to overthink" means. This reminds me of sitting in a yoga class and worrying that I was not relaxed enough.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Slid safely into home yesterday, but not without some difficulty rounding the bases.
The final outcome was not in doubt though, definitely a 100%-er. An innovative approach by Mike this time, incorporating a little bit of deception, confusion and diffusion. All the ingredients for great encryption method.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Now I'm safely ashore.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Leslie wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:15 pm I came up with an answer pretty quickly but despite my best efforts I couldn’t find a clear path to get there. I think I need to come back to this tomorrow with fresh eyes instead of trying to backsolve the answer I want it to be.
Leslie you took the words right out of my mouth! I have a hunch about the answer but nothing seems to be leading to it. And I am trying very hard to not think about that particular pink elephant as I search for the meta solution.

So I'm at the same bar stool I've been at for far too much of this year - grid completed but nothing on the meta. Yet.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved, earlier than usual for me.
Cynthia
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

I now have what 'I think' is the obvious answer (but we all know what that usually means). It's definitely more difficult trying to work it backwards to get 100% confirmation. Especially if you are wrong in your answer assumption and you can't get it out of your head! But I just don't see any obvious first step...unless it's so simple, there's only 1 step??? That just doesn't seem likely.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Just swam ashore to join the beach party!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Eric Porter wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:53 pm I think Bob cruise director means 17A instead of 12D.

I'm on shore, but with far more difficulty than the last few weeks. I chased a few rabbit holes because I hadn't understood the title.
Thanks for everyone saying not to overthink it. I realized what the title meant, then saw something which made me think "at least I have a guess." A few minutes later I confirmed it.
Eric
I meant 22D
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

So, a priest, a rabbi and The Commodore came in to Isaac's bar....
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

"a little bit of deception, confusion and diffusion" sounds like some overthinking is required after all.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Hanging with Isaac. Maybe the martini will help. Or I'll need to come back tomorrow.

In honor of my team (the Yankees. I don't really own them, but do wish I were rich enough to.) playing Cruise Director Bob's Carmine hose in an international cricket match, I'll pretend to talk with a British accent.

Hope those Yanks have a bowler or two who can hit the wicket and also have a batsman or two that can stay at bat for scores of runs.

Thank god it's limited overs in merry old England.

Now on to that most British of cocktails. I'll have mine "Churchill" style. Stare at a picture of the inventor of vermouth for 30 seconds and that should be enough.
Rufus T. Firefly
Richard

Post by Richard »

It is waste of time to tell me not to overthink the meta.
I always overthink the meta.

Lost at sea right now.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Tom Shea wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:28 pm Hanging with Isaac. Maybe the martini will help. Or I'll need to come back tomorrow.

In honor of my team (the Yankees. I don't really own them, but do wish I were rich enough to.) playing Cruise Director Bob's Carmine hose in an international cricket match, I'll pretend to talk with a British accent.

Hope those Yanks have a bowler or two who can hit the wicket and also have a batsman or two that can stay at bat for scores of runs.

Thank god it's limited overs in merry old England.

Now on to that most British of cocktails. I'll have mine "Churchill" style. Stare at a picture of the inventor of vermouth for 30 seconds and that should be enough.
Bully, Bully!!!
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

I’m with Isaac. Overthink, underthink? I’ll just drink.
Jack Sullivan
LesY

Post by LesY »

Aha! And ashore.

Was coming at this one from almost the right angle in two ways before I figured out what was going on. And an early instinct, ignored for too long, was also important.

Now back to Matt’s challenging Week 4.
burak

Post by burak »

Well, ignore my last comment. I'm ashore. This one is indeed gettable, but there are so many potential rabbit holes that it is easy to get lost. I'd recommend not obsessing over it and having a fresh perspective every day. (I guess this is valid for all metas but yeah, more so for this one.)
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I'm safely on shore. As others have said it's a 100-percenter when you find it. I wish I could also say I was on the MGWCC board, but no luck on the challenging week 4 yet.
KayW

Post by KayW »

On shore! And yes it's 100%, as always an amazingly clever meta but very gettable.

That wascally wabbit finally popped into view when I picked up the puzzle this morning. Hiding in plain sight.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.