"The Fourth Man" - June 28, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Very well done really Mike.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I just got it. I had the right idea but was making it way too complicated.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Well really, Mike, this is too much for me to fathom. Isaac must have followed our posts last week, since I see he now is offering gin pie. I’m having another big piece and settling in for the long haul.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Still telling my life story to Isaac for now, but planning to revisit the WSJCC in the time Isaac needs to serve the others still here at the bar.

Plus we have a Week 4 MGWCC, right? This may be a long weekend!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved. Don’t overthink it.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MaineMarge wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:19 am Well really, Mike, this is too much for me to fathom. Isaac must have followed our posts last week, since I see he now is offering gin pie. I’m having another big piece and settling in for the long haul.
Hopefully with a vase of peonies in front of you
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

From the title and instructions I just got a very strong hunch as to what the answer must be, but so far, I haven't been able to backsolve it.
Jay
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

As I had hoped, a good night’s sleep on the ship and a fresh look at the meta in the morning did the trick. I don’t know how I missed it yesterday! Keep going muggles—the shore is closer than you think!
Guy

Post by Guy »

grid done, set'em up Isaac and let me tell you of the thrills and woes of rabbit hunting...
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

Made it shore, thought I was going to be spending a second consecutive week with Isaac. Explored many rabbit holes before finding the right one. Agree it's 100% & don't overthink it.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Maybe it's a mirage? Going to sit on a bar stool w' Isaac and ponder if this is the answer. At the bar for now, but checking the tide tables for a good time to swim ashore!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

I'm busy overthinking it with Isaac...
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

Can't get this meta at all, but hoping it will come to me soon. Sounds like it's maybe not as hard as it seems based on what others are saying.
burak

Post by burak »

Every three months or so there's a meta puzzle that people say is easy-ish, I can't see it or only see it halfway, and when I read the solution I go "OMFG how did I miss it?"

The previous one was the POST-IT puzzle. It's been three months since then. Oh well.
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Trying not to overthink... but still not getting it.
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

'Deer with no eyes'...still at sea
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning. For the 12 who are on the shore congratulations. For the 15 who are with Isaac, you have a lot of company

Two other things regarding the grid

If you are looking for a great vacation 12D is a great place. We went there in March a couple of years ago for less than going to Florida for the same time. Weather was perfect

And for those of us over 60, 39D brought back nightmares of flannel soaked in the stuff and put on our chest by our grandmother to solve everything that ailed us.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:07 pm If you are looking for a great vacation 12D is a great place. We went there in March a couple of years ago for less than going to Florida for the same time. Weather was perfect
12D? Salon creations?
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Hangin' with Isaac. The next rabbit I see better not be an alcohol-inspired hallucination - I don't want to be here that long!
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I think Bob cruise director means 17A instead of 12D.

I'm on shore, but with far more difficulty than the last few weeks. I chased a few rabbit holes because I hadn't understood the title.
Thanks for everyone saying not to overthink it. I realized what the title meant, then saw something which made me think "at least I have a guess." A few minutes later I confirmed it.