"The Fourth Man" - June 28, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Emmaa wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:56 pm First time WSJCC entrant. On shore looking for the Famous American. Feel that I really need a drink first.

How can it be that I feel all alone when I have so much company?

How do I get back to where I can print out the PDF?
Welcome! Here you go...

https://blogs.wsj.com/puzzle/2019/06/27 ... t-june-28/
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

A slight nudge from a friend sent me off the ship and swimming to shore. Made it! Thanks to my nudger!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Isaac and I have been chatting since Thursday afternoon. I think he’s getting bored. I guess I’m on my 12th margarita. Why hasn’t he cut me off? Alcohol is not helping me see anything.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:46 am

All of this is in good fun and none of us get all the answers all the time.

Except for Al Sisti
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Well, that was a lot of work chasing dead ends. Finally on shore.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Well I have an answer, but I'm put off by the claims that the meta is clever and 100%. If I'm right the meta is apt (though there is one grid entry I find strange), but very simple, and the construction is unremarkable, and arguably even slightly awkward or inaccurate. I've submitted in any case.
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

We’re glad to be with so many fine people at Isaacs. Kudos to those on shore.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Meg wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:36 pm Isaac and I have been chatting since Thursday afternoon. I think he’s getting bored. I guess I’m on my 12th margarita. Why hasn’t he cut me off? Alcohol is not helping me see anything.
I’m on the barstool next to you Meg; yup just staring at the puzzle after my twelfth Chardonnay.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Tony S wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:16 am
narniabug wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:22 am Thank you for your responses. Long time NYT crossword enthusiast, finding it published in our local paper. On a good day, I can do the Thursday puzzle; I don't even try Saturday's.
Sometimes Thursday's NYT puzzle is more challenging than Saturday's. Today's offering is quite doable --- give it a try. Good luck.
Whether Thursday is harder than Saturday, it's always more interesting -- the most interesting puzzle of the week IMHO.
Jay
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Hector wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:16 pm Well I have an answer, but I'm put off by the claims that the meta is clever and 100%. If I'm right the meta is apt (though there is one grid entry I find strange), but very simple, and the construction is unremarkable, and arguably even slightly awkward or inaccurate. I've submitted in any case.
"Clever, simple, unremarkable, awkward" -- those are judgments, and maybe not all solvers would agree. As I said in my earlier comment, I too think it's slightly inaccurate. But it is 100%.
Jay
markhr

Post by markhr »

Well, I was at sea for two full days, then everything fell into place quite suddenly. Typical experience for me with a Shenk puzzle. But nice construction after all, and definitely a 100 percenter.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

FrankieHeck wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:47 am
Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:14 am Where is Al Sisti this week? Hope he is OK!
I think of him every time I go back to working on Matt's puzzle. Given last week's "add a letter" technique, I now see his name in there, and I think what a great theme that would be...hiding muggles' names in there :D
You guys are too sweet! I'm still alive... I'd like to say I've been busy with music and yardwork and trivia nights and stuff... and while it's true, that's not why you haven't heard from me. I am lost in both the WSJ and MGWCC this week... hoping for an aha breakfast before, well, more music, yardwork and trivia nights.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I have said good-bye to Isaac. I’m on the shore, but I do not have warm fuzzy feelings about this meta.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

I am still totally lost at sea.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Isaac is so busy today he is glad to have a lovely new apprentice, Mary, here to help out. Tonight long about midnight I’ll probably be hailing her for one last shot of something that sounds good at the time.
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

If this is going to break my streak of 12 (best ever for me), at least I can take solace that even Al Sisti is struggling this week.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

PeterLeea1a wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:09 am If this is going to break my streak of 12 (best ever for me), at least I can take solace that even Al Sisti is struggling this week.
Not looking good... and the last one I got wrong was the infamous PAGEANT.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:30 am
PeterLeea1a wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:09 am If this is going to break my streak of 12 (best ever for me), at least I can take solace that even Al Sisti is struggling this week.
Not looking good... and the last one I got wrong was the infamous PAGEANT.
Say it ain't so, Al.
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

This one has me hitting the fifth. Uncle!

Congrats to all of the clever comrades who cracked the code. Time for me to dawdle to the corner and don my dunce cap.

Looking forward to a fabulous week of fireworks starting tonite.
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Enjoying Isaac and the crowded bar. Have tried approaching this with fresh eyes a few times, but still not seeing anywhere to go with this one. More coffee please!!