"Crosswords Rock!" - April 12, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MaryCC

Post by MaryCC »

Happy to find the new beach! Robert, this is Mary Calhoun, here as MaryCC. Not my usual beach libation but fun puzzle!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Hi all- just introduced myself at the front door. Glad to see other gardeners here.
I came ashore last night. I was nearly ready to ask if I could call a friend (Isaac) to help me out when I saw what to do. Fun! Another meta method to add to my relative newbie tool kit. You old timers must have a heavy box to sort through.
We should all put an extra tip in Isaac’s jar for this one.
Mike Heberling

Post by Mike Heberling »

On shore.
Bill Twardy

Post by Bill Twardy »

Made it to shore last night and just registered on this site this morning.

I'm Bill2RD on the MGWCC site.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Sorry Isaac, time to go.

On shore, drinking unsweetened iced tea...
Rufus T. Firefly
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

MarkL wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:49 am FWIW, I was able to post a comment on the WSJ site even though I am not a paid subscriber. Will check later to see if it still appears on the list. Also, on shore with the appropriate beverage in a to-go cup!
When I tried to post a new message (in the box at the top), I was told it would be moderated and it hasn't shown a day later. Replying to an existing post worked, at least the one time.
Rufus T. Firefly
bunella

Post by bunella »

Onshore. Not one for cocktails but got this one.

Hi Robert!
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

On shore. Did crossword yesterday and popped out when I looked at it today.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I've made it to shore - It took some looking, but came fairly quickly. Now I sit waiting for my MGWCC email. Six people on the board, and my puzzle hasn't made it here yet.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

bunella wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:06 pm Onshore. Not one for cocktails but got this one.

Hi Robert!
Good afternoon. Are you on my WSJ list or new?

Bob
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Ashore! A big thanks to the person / people who took the time to set this up.

-Matt
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Afternoon. It has been an adventure between correlating the blog names here and the WSJ postings, I think we have 49 on the shore and 1 on the ship with Isaac. However I will have to go back and make sure that I did not miss something.

And just to make my life more fun, this week I found out that Excel has a limit of number of columns that you can sort on. I use 5 columns each week (probably overkill but I did not realize that there was a limit) so when I sort on the column that has ship and shore it gets everyone together. This week I was on column SK and I found that the drop down box stopped at something earlier.

I think that we are back to normals and should have our detailed report out tomorrow at noon.

I will post this also on the WSJ page and hopefully get time to work on the meta.

Bob Stevens
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I was pretty sure I had the right answer, but then last night I was sitting at the bar, and the guy next to me ordered an Ice Capades.
“What’s that?” I asked.
‘You know,” he said, “It’s a pageant. On ice.”
Jay
Don S.

Post by Don S. »

On shore. (D.S. on the WSJ forum.) This was a cocktail I recognized...
CandyB

Post by CandyB »

Ashore!
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Having a hard time this week so far. Still with Isaac...
Anita

Post by Anita »

I'm certainly not finding this as easy as some have said. Stuck in the usual brain-rut. Guess I'll be hanging out with Isaac.
bunella

Post by bunella »

Trying to figure out how to reply to a certain post and I can't so

this is for Bob Cruise Director - it's me Bunny Zukowski with the pretzels.........how quickly they forget.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Tom Shea wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:40 am
MarkL wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:49 am FWIW, I was able to post a comment on the WSJ site even though I am not a paid subscriber. Will check later to see if it still appears on the list. Also, on shore with the appropriate beverage in a to-go cup!
When I tried to post a new message (in the box at the top), I was told it would be moderated and it hasn't shown a day later. Replying to an existing post worked, at least the one time.
I just posted a comment disguised as a reply over at WSJ. It worked.
Jay
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

bunella wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:30 pm Trying to figure out how to reply to a certain post and I can't so
The easiest way is probably to press the quotation mark button on the post of the person you want to reply to. This quotes their post into your reply and you can type your message below it (as is hopefully happening here). The person you are quoting will get a notification, but only if they have their settings set for that (you can customize your own settings in the "User Control Panel" from the menu under your name on the upper right).

You can also send them a PM (personal message) if you want to communicate directly and privately. This is under the little "Contact ..." button under their name. There are two icons, one for email and one for PM.

Hope this helps!