MEOW #180 Beer Me DrTom and Cap'n Rick

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, well nobody else stepped up to the bar; reveal tomorrow for other than those 48 imbibers...
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Ahoy, Muggles!

The 6-letter word that will make everything right is "BREWER". Like a few of you I like a good beer now and then, and I loved the theme the moment @DrTom approached me with it. So we had 6 symmetrically-placed beer brands in the grid (1A BLUEMOON, 16A SIERRA, 22A CORONA, 51A STELLA, 61A MILLER, and 64A GUINNESS). Also present in the grid were 6 other entries with clues that could also match up with the 6 beers (1D BLANCHE, 10D RING, 24D ECLIPSE, 38A WIFE, 48A ECHO, and 52A REED). The first letters of these 6 other entries, in grid order, spelled the meta answer.

Reveal Table.jpg

Reveal Image and Guinness.jpg

A fun collab with the always clever and witty @DrTom! I hope you all enjoyed our puzzle, and I hope I get a chance to co-construct with him again soon.

Thanks for solving!
Cap'n Rick
Last edited by Cap'n Rick on Tue May 14, 2024 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Erm, BREWERY is a 7-letter word! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

benchen71 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:23 am Erm, BREWERY is a 7-letter word! :D
Whoops! Thanks, Ben. I seem to be having a bit of trouble with counting lately. :lol:
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Cap'n Rick wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:53 am
Whoops! Thanks, Ben. I seem to be having a bit of trouble with counting lately. :lol:
BREWER is a 6-letter word.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

As Joe has pointed out, BREWER (the meta answer) is a 6 letter word, it was I who started the 7 letter debacle...probably one too many of the subject matter.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

DrTom wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:06 pm
As Joe has pointed out, BREWER (the meta answer) is a 6 letter word, it was I who started the 7 letter debacle...probably one too many of the subject matter.

T
OK, so (1) yes I started the 7 letter thing (2) it was on my other puzzle. So I was wrong about being wrong about the puzzle I was wrong on. But still only 6 letters. Yeesh Tom get it right!