"King Me!" - April 30, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Finally ashore.

I had to print two copies before I could get this one. Bravo to those who solve on a computer or tablet. Bravissimo to the phone solvers.
Jack Sullivan
DaveWa

Post by DaveWa »

I'm ashore.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I'm dead at the bar as I've already turned in the wrong answer.

My wife will take my ashes to shore now. Yes, a truly "historic monarch".
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
UTHfan

Post by UTHfan »

this is like monotonous, I see the meta forming, I just can't bend the corner. oh well, congrats all.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

UTHfan wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:13 pm this is like monotonous, I see the meta forming, I just can't bend the corner. oh well, congrats all.
you will need to "bend the corner".
bradisbrad

Post by bradisbrad »

After taking forever to actually finish the grid, the meta came pretty quick. Consider me on shore! Taking a dry week, so I'll be sipping a virgin piña colada tonight here on my stretch of beach.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Spent a long time with Isaac, fell off the boat, swallowed a lot of seawater and was pulled to the shore by a duck.
The Dudeski abides.
Gwert

Post by Gwert »

ON SHORE MAYBE, but i’m through 8 pages of posts that there may be a dispute with the final answer. I could see it going a couple different ways, unless i’m some confirmation somewhere else in the grid. Nuff said for now.
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

This newbie could use a gentle nudge so as not to abandon my favorite Sunday project! :-p
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:33 am
I can't remember which of the HP books we listened to on one particular vacation, but we started the tapes as we left Chicago, drove thru KY, TN and AL. Made our way to Disney then St. Augustine, Charleston, Asheville, and Louisville. I think we finished up the book in Lafayette, IN so we only had a few hours of driving without Harry. The gentleman who read the HP books was brilliant!
Cool! Are you sure it wasn't more than one Harry? Because I can seem to remember hearing all of Deathly Hallows on one straight drive-through from Ann Arbor MI to Nashville TN (where our oldest son lives) -- about eight hours. Though I do recall having to circle Nashville a bit, to finish the book. The reader, as I recall, is Jim Dale. No kidding, he's great. (Of course, it's possible we heard half there and half back.)
Based on the date of this vacation (2005) and publication dates, I am guessing it was Order of the Phoenix. When I looked up the length of the audiobook, it said 27 hours. That sounds like it could be right for the amount of driving that we did! The reader IS awesome. I think the audiobook description said that he did 130+ different voices for this book.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Ashore
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Well that took a lot of staring. It turns out I was staring at the right thing, but there was a figure-ground problem.
I'll have whaever everyone else on shore is having. On second thought, in honor of the Savant, make that a Lime rickey.
Jay
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

LittleGood wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:58 pm I am decidedly not on shore, but while gazing into the distance at something shiny that caught my periphery, I slipped over the railing and sank straight to the bottom. I am hoping to at least come up for air.
I walked to shore from the sea bed.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:09 pm Good Saturday morning muggles.

And if I miss someone, please let me know
Bob, you missed me at post #77.
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

Ashore!
I am a man of few...
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:09 pm Well that took a lot of staring. It turns out I was staring at the right thing, but there was a figure-ground problem.
I'll have whaever everyone else on shore is having. On second thought, in honor of the Savant, make that a Lime rickey.
I had that problem also.
Old Woman Young Woman.png
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Still on the ship with Isaac, I see several possible routes but none of them is panning out and the clock is ticking. I just noticed Isaac's mask in the header to the forum, how long has that been there? Love it!
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

I think I have one foot at least firmly on the beach, but a rip tide might could wash me back out to sea. That Mike, he's a tricky one.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Annabelle wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:07 pm I think I have one foot at least firmly on the beach, but a rip tide might could wash me back out to sea. That Mike, he's a tricky one.
"Might could" -- I accuse you of being a Southerner.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

FrankH wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:52 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:09 pm Good Saturday morning muggles.

And if I miss someone, please let me know
Bob, you missed me at post #77.
Yes I did - sorry
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director