17. Undercurrent Events

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

So, I never got in a test-solve post, but gee, I wanna be part of the fun.
I don't have a schtick yet for these puzzles.... aside from perhaps Ginger Cat and coffee?
But... but...but... do you think there are enough cat memes to cover this as well as MEOW? :lol:

Unlike DrTom, I did not have enough of the themers on my first pass, but once I'd rounded up the proper ones and put them to good use,
this is how I felt --
Captureyesginger_LI.jpg
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

whimsy wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:19 pm So, I never got in a test-solve post, but gee, I wanna be part of the fun.
I don't have a schtick yet for these puzzles.... aside from perhaps Ginger Cat and coffee?
But... but...but... do you think there are enough cat memes to cover this as well as MEOW? :lol:

Unlike DrTom, I did not have enough of the themers on my first pass, but once I'd rounded up the proper ones and put them to good use,
this is how I felt --
Captureyesginger_LI.jpg
We can only hope, and if not, well we all know what that would be (thankfully it has already been covered!)

I think there will certainly be cartoons and memes an gifs galore to cover any multitude of cats, let's face it Facebook alone is enough for at least 20 cat themed sections. :)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

If we haven't seen her yet, I'd be surprised (and she turns 3 this month!):

IT'S GINGER CAT!

(I get asked a lot, "Why is she not actually a ginger cat?" This was her name at the shelter, and we decided just to keep it. The name is perfect since, like the seasoning called ginger, Ginger Cat is sweet...but she's got some spice.)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 93. Person of Letters
Darth

Post by Darth »

Confirmed my reservation on the "Destiny" board. Thanks for the funtabulous puzzle, @MikeyG!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MikeyG wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:38 pm If we haven't seen her yet, I'd be surprised (and she turns 3 this month!):

IT'S GINGER CAT!

(I get asked a lot, "Why is she not actually a ginger cat?" This was her name at the shelter, and we decided just to keep it. The name is perfect since, like the seasoning called ginger, Ginger Cat is sweet...but she's got some spice.)
Well she's adorable, but yes, I expected an orange cat with stripes. I had a ginger cat and he was the pet love of my life. This was "Punky" and the caption on this is undoubtedly "WHAT!"
Punky310003.JPG
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I've made that face before, @DrTom. May you always cherish that pet love of your life in your heart.

MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

March solution: MAKES WAVES

Correct answers: 31 - record!!

The two theme entries actually had meta responsibilities this time!

The first one, FIRST AND LAST, clued you into the fact that those letters would be important (and - along with the aside and the title of the meta - looking below those letters was also probably relevant!). The second one, TIDES OF MARCH (I'll give MIkey's puzzles a whirl...pool), signaled that tides were going to be important!

Five tides were embedded in other words in the grids, highlighted above (I debated on ROLL but wasn't sure if that would alienate some of you - I root for Ball State, what can I possibly say?). The first and last letters below these entries spell, respectively, MAKES WAVES, what a good meta does!

Thank you so much for solving, and I wish you a month of happy puzzling! Mini-meta coming in about a week or so!

Mikey G

woozy

Post by woozy »

I gotta say I really loved this one.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Now, I'm really impressed with this meta. I thought that the harvested letters needed to be anagrammed. Upon further review, I noticed that the group of 1st letters are in grid order as are the group of 2nd letters. Great job, Mikey !
Abide

Post by Abide »

Bonus points for not including ROLL!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Congrats to @lbray53 for winning the drawing!

lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Thanks Mikey! What a nice surprise!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!