"Make the Connection" - May 20, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

I got this, but not before spending a lot of time trying to use the 1st two and last two letters of each long themer, like some of you. The 3 worked ok, but all I could come up with for NOED was “I noed that wasn’t the right metanism”.
And if you ask a gardener “So, what’s up?”
You’ll get this for an answer
910DF7CB-662B-4362-8240-2AA0F71A34A3.jpeg
Epimedium and brilliant blue Roy Davidson pulmonaria, now.
Mother Nature is catching things up to schedule after a cold dry start to the growing season.
Last edited by MaineMarge on Mon May 23, 2022 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barney

Post by Barney »

I saw the 2+2 fairly quickly (thanks, 75 across) but found the match-ups much trickier, eg, soup/OGPU.

41A desperately made me want the answer to be Alamo, and I tried to, but couldn’t, backsolve to that.

I got set right by my distant solving partner and therefore did not submit the indisputable perfection of Joint.

I will be surprised if there aren’t submissions of Alamo. “Do you remember me” screams for it.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

minimuggle wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:27 am I got the mechanism pretty quickly but I made a stupid mistake of connecting the CAMPBELL clue with soup which gave me NNOIT to work with. Finally I realized that the soft food clue was the appropriate clue and J (ello) saved the day. Live and learn. Metas are almost always consistent. Very enjoyable puzzle.
Good thing I didn't see that!
Especially when just now I went back to check on which clue that referred to and came across 39A Savoring sounds - MMMS.
Gman

Post by Gman »

pjc wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:51 am
Mister Squawk wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:17 am

With those, it seemed obvious that JOINT was the meta answer and I had to look and re-look at the other two long answers and work backwards from the other two grid answers whose initial letters contributed to JOINT before it jumped out at me that we were dealing with the two letter words within the long answers.
I too backsolved into JOINT, and per 75A only in hindsight did I pick up on the 2 letter words in the theme entries. Hidden in plain sight, again!
Gman

Post by Gman »

Gman wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:17 pm
pjc wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:51 am
With those, it seemed obvious that JOINT was the meta answer and I had to look and re-look at the other two long answers and work backwards from the other two grid answers whose initial letters contributed to JOINT before it jumped out at me that we were dealing with the two letter words within the long answers.
I too backsolved into JOINT, and per 75A only in hindsight did I pick up on the 2 letter words in the theme entries. Hidden in plain sight, again!
https://images.app.goo.gl/YRFtKcc44VpWjPwg7
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I also got caught up in the using TEEPEE for DOME. Which then gives you JOT IN. Not really happy with that, so then I saw JOIN and was convinced that the answer should be JOINS. Could not find an S word that would fit the bill, but I finally noticed TRUSS and got to JOINT.
pjc

Post by pjc »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:21 am @pjc, I need an introduction to that sweet beagle in your avatar! What a cutie!
Oh, thanks so much @Hidden in 3D :D

That would be Dexter - the beagle/dachshund mix who has been with us since 2019!
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

The contest answer is JOINT. As suggested by 75-Across, join the two two-letter words in the theme answers to create four-letter words that satisfy other clues: GOOF = “Jokester” (IMP), NOON = “Common lunch hour” (ONE), DOME = “Architectural feature” (TRUSS), WEAN = “Do a mother cat’s job” (NURSE), SOUP = “Option for those not eating solid food” (JELL-O). In grid order, the first letters of those five answers spell the contest answer.

We thought this was a really tough one! But a flood of solvers disagreed: We had 1,470 entries and a way-above-average 91% were correct.

Incorrect answers included POINT (14, seems like these entries cracked the code but missed one word), CLICK (3), LINKS (2), TRUSS (2), and many other odds and ends.

Congrats to this week's winners: Michael and Laura Driussi of Albany, Calif.!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:47 pm We thought this was a really tough one!
Now there's some consolation fellow muggles!

And, Thursday is only 3 days away...... :)
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Janet

Post by Janet »

I made partial connections! I could not get noon to match with one. Oh well. I can hope for next Thursday.
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

Love that the winners were a team. I dream of the day we win a mug and my son can take it to his college dorm room.
Barney

Post by Barney »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:47 pm The contest answer is JOINT. As suggested by 75-Across, join the two two-letter words in the theme answers to create four-letter words that satisfy other clues: GOOF = “Jokester” (IMP), NOON = “Common lunch hour” (ONE), DOME = “Architectural feature” (TRUSS), WEAN = “Do a mother cat’s job” (NURSE), SOUP = “Option for those not eating solid food” (JELL-O). In grid order, the first letters of those five answers spell the contest answer.

We thought this was a really tough one! But a flood of solvers disagreed: We had 1,470 entries and a way-above-average 91% were correct.

Incorrect answers included POINT (14, seems like these entries cracked the code but missed one word), CLICK (3), LINKS (2), TRUSS (2), and many other odds and ends.

Congrats to this week's winners: Michael and Laura Driussi of Albany, Calif.!
Boy did I ever lose my bet that some people would submit Alamo.

Maybe no one remembers it anymore.
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

Wow I am just completely thrilled and amazed and astonished to report that my husband and I are the mug winners this week! It's my birthday, too! Incredible! Thanks Ben B for the below!
Ben B wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:57 pm Love that the winners were a team. I dream of the day we win a mug and my son can take it to his college dorm room.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Collegetowngirl wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:57 pm Wow I am just completely thrilled and amazed and astonished to report that my husband and I are the mug winners this week! It's my birthday, too! Incredible! Thanks Ben B for the below!
Ben B wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:57 pm Love that the winners were a team. I dream of the day we win a mug and my son can take it to his college dorm room.
Congrats and happy birthday!
Heidi
yodarkrutch

Post by yodarkrutch »

Soup to Paella to Peas.
Goof to Imp
Dome to Movable shelter to Teepee
Noon to One
Wean to Nurse.

Answer: Piton

I have to maintain my reputation as a bottom-feeder after all, but it's hard hauling this dome around.
femullen

Post by femullen »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:47 pm
We thought this was a really tough one!
Won't get an argument from me. Took me forever to finally get what 75A was saying. Even then it wasn't from careful analysis but rather from a random thought bubble. I got GOOF, DOME, and SOUP quickly, but was utterly baffled by how to apply the pattern to 24 and 53A. Stared and stared and quit and quit repeatedly until late Sunday afternoon when--Duh!--finally put Two and Two together.

Part of what makes meta puzzles addictive is that I always feel like I'm just barely hanging on: no matter how many I solve--and I'm still batting way below .500--the next puzzle is just as hard. It's almost as if I'm a perpetual noob. It may be frustrating 60% of the time, but it's never old hat.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
P1h3r1e3d13

Post by P1h3r1e3d13 »

Huh! I got DOME -> Portable shelter -> TEPEE, but that doesn't change the result.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

I never beg, plead, entreat, or grovel to win a mug on the current Contest board. So now, a new approach. I'll do it in the previous week's postings, maybe that won't be as overtly needed but give me the needed luck --

Oh, please, please, please! I've never won anything in my life! Please let me win the coveted mug. I have to win my first one before my sister-in-law wins her second.