#35 - "A Split of Authority"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
BrianMac
Site Admin

#35 - "A Split of Authority"

Post by BrianMac »

Sorry non-sports fans (of which I am one), the answer to the metapuzzle is a retired Major League Baseball player.

Good luck!
Tina

Post by Tina »

Striking out.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I’m with Tina!
Toby

Post by Toby »

I hope this isn't another PGW "Guess what I Am Thinking" puzzle. I admire how original some of his meta paths have been, but often the first step is hidden too well.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I haven't really had much of a look at this, because I'm still working on the MMMM. But it's been a while since I've had weekend puzzles, so I'm kind of happy to have a stumper or two. Just wish I hadn't checked out three books from the Andy Carpenter series at the same time. I'm finding it really difficult to give my attention to one thing right now.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I haven't really had much of a look at this, because I'm still working on the MMMM. But it's been a while since I've had weekend puzzles, so I'm kind of happy to have a stumper or two. Just wish I hadn't checked out three books from the Andy Carpenter series at the same time. I'm finding it really difficult to give my attention to one thing right now.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Nothing yet. I'll have time to think harder on this tonight.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Looked over this again this afternoon and no ideas. Yet.
ChrisKochmanski

OK, I noticed something, it led somewhere, and I submitted my answer. Can't say I feel 100% about it, but I can justify it. We'll see!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Good to know there’s something to notice. I’ll keep looking......
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Peter was nice enough to confirm, very quickly, that my answer is correct. Though be warned: My path to it was apparently not quite straight and true -- not exactly as Peter intended. In fact, I may still be missing something ... but I guess I saw enough to get to the solution.

I'm sorry if this post isn't very helpful to you. Keep looking!
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Finally saw a couple of promising leads that haven’t lead to anything promising.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Got it. Staring at it and waiting for a miracle worked!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Oh I got it.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Congrats, you whizzes! I have two pieces of . . . something, it seems. I'll return to it when time permits. Tough one!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I only see one thing, and I suspect that it isn't really a thing...
damefox

Post by damefox »

PS - unrelated to the meta, but for those of you unfamiliar with 27A, I highly recommend looking it up. It's fabulously hilarious. Or maybe hilariously fabulous. Or both. Look it up.
pgw

Post by pgw »

damefox wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:30 am PS - unrelated to the meta, but for those of you unfamiliar with 27A, I highly recommend looking it up. It's fabulously hilarious. Or maybe hilariously fabulous. Or both. Look it up.
Indeed, those unfamiliar with 27a might learn something about it, upon looking it up, that could help them get a start on solving the meta. (Don't worry - this is not a research project! The thing I'm talking about is very superficial and relates not at all to the subject matter of 27a - it's pure wordplay, but something you could easily be mistaken about if you've never seen 27a in print outside a crossword grid.)

A number of solutions came in yesterday but it's clear that I seriously misjudged this puzzle's difficulty and apparent elegance. I'll say more about this when I post the solution next week.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Well given the above comment, I might have the answer now, but I rushed it and I think I missed something. So I'll double-check after the MGWCC. It does look like I'll get this one before the MMMM now.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I have the answer, but there's an oddly missing piece. A friend "won" a 27A, of which he's absurdly proud, yet I'd forgotten the crucial fact.