Guide to Solving the WSJ Meta with Excel/Spreadsheets

This is a place to learn about the Muggles community and some of the terminology we use. It also contains suggested strategies for solving meta crosswords, as well as a repository of all past WSJ crossword contests and solutions.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

This Tuesday, January 25th, 8:30-9:00 PM ET / 5:30-6 PM PT there was a tutorial on using Excel as a graphical tool to fill out & highlight metas.

Excel Basics with Metas

Unfortunately, I went on for 7 minutes explaining how to create an Excel form from a template for individual puzzles, but I wasn't sharing the proper screen. Therefore, the period between the 12:00 & 19:15 marks makes little sense. I will attempt to edit that chunk out of this video. Below is a better representation of these 7 minutes:

Creating a Puzzle Form from Template
KayW

Post by KayW »

Thank you @Joe Ross for the tutorial. AND for providing all these EXCEL-lent spreadsheets each week.

I am by no means an excel whiz, but I have used the blank templates linked in post 181 of this thread to create a spreadsheet. That process looked pretty intimidating to me at first, but the instructions linked in the same post are very detailed yet clear and foolproof. At least as proved by this fool.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Thanks, Joe, for last night's tutorial and the additional 7 minutes. I was pretty lost during that time, but didn't want to interrupt. This method is brilliant and much appreciated!
Sara
katnahat

Post by katnahat »

Thanks Joe for taking the time to put this together. I learned a great deal. I use your EXCEL file every week. Sure saves paper and ink!
Kathie