#31 - "Double Back and Start Over"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
Hector

#31 - "Double Back and Start Over"

Post by Hector »

The answer to the metapuzzle is an entry in the grid.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I have an answer, I guess, but it is well below 100% and if it's right, this would not really be an impressive construction in the pgw style, so I'm even below 50% & will return to it.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I just submitted my answer, and I can defend it. And, as with all PGW's puzzles, I learned something I didn't know. Lotsa stuff.
LesY

Post by LesY »

It felt good to get this one. Happened to see one piece of the path before I knew what to do with it.

Agree with Al - lots o’stuff. I had to google-confirm 6 entries and missed about 4 squares. The pronunciation of 38A was fun to discover though!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I seem to be with the posters so far. I have an answer, it makes pretty good sense, but it doesn’t quite feel like lock. Maybe I’m missing something. So I’ll let this one stew for a while.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I see the obvious place or maybe places to start, but no place to go next. Private hints welcome.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Well I've sent in my initial guess, which did not seem any more solid over time. We'll see!

And . . . it was incorrect.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I haven't been doing very well with PGW's puzzles lately. I'm not as completely blank as I was on the last one, but still very far from anything that looks promising.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I haven't gotten anywhere with this one.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I think I have it.
TMart

Post by TMart »

I have some ideas but nothing solid yet. I’ll keep plugging away on this though - while I’ve had a tough time overall with PGW metas, I’ve managed to string together a modest streak of 10 that I’d like to keep alive.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Glad I let it stew. With some group effort, I finally got it. I also needed to google a bit, but others may not.

Good one!
pgw

Post by pgw »

Hi folks -

I posted a hint. Maybe it will help?

https://pgwcc.net/archive/puzzle-31-hint/

pgw
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Well I thought I had an epiphany and was sure it would lead me to the answer, but it seems to have led me to...not an answer. Not giving up. It's going to be a two-puzzle weekend, and my husband left to run the Chicago marathon, so he's not here to encourage me with crazy suggestions.

Update: I changed one bit of my route and got it. Living in a cave makes some puzzles more challenging for me.
TMart

Post by TMart »

I think I got it, but I don’t really get it. I’ll let this one simmer for a while.

And......correct!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I submitted an answer that I'd been mulling over but wasn't very happy with. I was hoping to get it out of my head but now I'm embarrassed for sending in a half-baked solution, and still trying to figure out the real one!

Edit: Just read the solution, and wow. That was amazing. I was sort of on the right track, but I stopped too soon and just flailed around (typed "failed" first, which is also appropriate). Kudos and my eternal respect to PGW and to everyone who solved it.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Wow. That was super involved. I don’t feel too bad for not getting anywhere with this one.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I got thrown off when I googled "CC" and ended up with CC Hunter, an author. "Hunter" was in one of the clues, and led me to, if I remember correctly, VHAJ. Eventually I started googling all the double letters over again and ended up with HAJJ. Yay! Just need to find it in the grid....oh. Dang. By the time I was done googling JJs, I had doubled back and started over so many times that I wasn't sure JAMES was going to be the end of it. So of course I wrote all that out for PGW, lol. So my streak continues....but I have a bad feeling about this week's already!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I submitted "James," which Peter confirmed in an email... but I got it in a totally different way. When I saw the title and a more-than-normal frequency of Z's, I immediately started looking for zigzags through all the places I could fit a Z (which, to my way of thinking, was a 3 x 3 section). I got all the way to the end and saw S H E
E O N
S E X... or, in a Z pattern (double back and start over), it read "SHEO's EX." SHEO turns out to be the "supercouple nickname" (think Bennifer or TomKat) of Shailene Woodley & Theo James, and when they broke up (sniff sniff), it left Theo JAMES as an "EX."
TMart

Post by TMart »

FrankieHeck wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:39 pm ..... I wasn't sure JAMES was going to be the end of it. So of course I wrote all that out for PGW, lol.
My experience exactly. JAMES felt like half a step too far (or too short), which I also overexplained in a way-too-long response to Peter. I liked the mechanism, I just wasn't sure when to stop applying it.