"Leading Men" - October 4, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

[quote=Saxerbrau post_id=7578 time=1570204302 user_id=460]
Statistics for the last 200 Puzzles!

As a celebration for the 200th Contest Crossword (started tracking online for the puzzle: "You Better Shop Around" on 12/11/15 by Matt Gaffney), I thought I would share some interesting statistics regarding winners, states, and more! If you would like more information about any of the stats below, let me know in a reply.

By the way, I am on shore this week, and looking forward to another 200 contests.

Top 5 states for Winners
  • California – 22
    Massachusetts – 19
    New York – 17
    Ohio – 12
    Texas – 12
Top 5 Cities for Winners
  • Portland, Oregon – 3
    Colorado Springs, Colorado – 3
    Berkeley, California – 3
    Cotuit, Massachusetts – 3
    Palo Alto, California – 2
Winners with more than one win
  • Laurie Dings, Cotuit, MA – 3 Mugs Won
    Kurt Huddleston, Lisle, IL – 2 Mugs Won
    Melanie Frost, Colorado Springs, CO – 2 Mugs Won
    Yossi Fendel, Berkeley, CA – 2 Mugs Won
States that have yet to win a contest crossword
Alaska, Arkansas, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming.

Duplicate titles
  • City Folk – 2 Times it has been used
    Secret Ingredients - 2 Times it has been used
    Marking Time - 2 Times it has been used
Number of Titles by Author
  • Gaffney, Matt 100
    Kelly, Marie 63
    Shenk, Mike 16
    Berry, Patrick 13
    Gordon, Peter 6
    Muller, Pete 1
    McClary, Todd 1
    Grand Total 200
Thank you for the analysis. Seems I should be moving up in the mug stats, being in the SE which has been woefully neglected! This represents hope for many, I think--however, it's said--Lies, damn lies, and statistics! And do be careful, you could be in line as the assistant cruise director!!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Saxerbrau wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:51 am Statistics for the last 200 Puzzles!

As a celebration for the 200th Contest Crossword (started tracking online for the puzzle: "You Better Shop Around" on 12/11/15 by Matt Gaffney), I thought I would share some interesting statistics regarding winners, states, and more! If you would like more information about any of the stats below, let me know in a reply.

By the way, I am on shore this week, and looking forward to another 200 contests.

Top 5 states for Winners
  • California – 22
    Massachusetts – 19
    New York – 17
    Ohio – 12
    Texas – 12
This is great! As a fellow nerd, I love the reminder that I've found my tribe:)

I'm surprised that California has more winners than New York. I'd have guessed that the highest density of WSJ subscribers is in New York, then the northeast, then the rest of the country.
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

Didn't break a sweat on this one. Oh, the next time I play Scrabble, Saxerbrau can keep score!
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Saxerbrau wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:51 am States that have yet to win a contest crossword
Alaska, Arkansas, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming.
I'm kind of surprised there's been a West Virginia winner. I was hoping that when I win, I'd be the first. :D
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

On shore quickly!
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

pddigi wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:03 am I beat Dom to shore - that might be the first time in over a month. 100%er! He says he is still working on it, so I will have to update with my son's status later. Have a good weekend all!
Dom has made it to shore. He needed to Google to confirm some of his guesses; he's a tad young for some of the references (but I shall say no more, lest I let an unintended spoiler slip).
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Isaac, old boy, you've done it again. Splendid pick-me up.
Presently, I am strolling on a sunstruck beach, and what's this?
Tiki torches? A tavern on the sand?
What ho! Such luck!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

An explanation for having the three time winner from Cotuit,MA which is not a town in MA

For those who don't understand Massachusetts, we have strange naming for villages within towns. Cotuit is a village of about 3500 residents within the town of Barnstable on Cape Cod. Villages in general have no legal standing and may or may not have their own post office. Some towns have no villages and some towns have seven or eight villages. There are historic reasons for this - usually going back a few hundred years. The villages were separated but since then the population has grown so these villages merge and soon or later get incorporated into bigger towns or cities.

However natives refer to their addresses by these villages which in many cases do not appear on a map. Newer GPS's may or may not recognize the village names.

Boston is like that with 22 neighborhoods/villages in the city https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighborhoods_in_Boston. When Boston incorporated these neighborhoods, no one thought to change the road names so you have things like having four Washington Streets in the city of Boston (and you would have to get a true native to tell you where they are). It drives GPS's nuts and it requires the city to send out multiple ambulances when someone calls 911 and says that they are at XXX Washington Street and can not tell which which neighborhood they are in.

I have only been here 50 years and I still don't know the locations of the seven villages in the next town over.

All of this is to totally confuse invaders from the other 48 states. Mainers are not invaders as they were once part of Massachusetts.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Back from a three week hiatus while touring South Africa. Unforgettable trip - I can't rave enough about the sights, the friendly people, the amazing food and wine, and the incredible safaris near Kruger.

So now that I've (mostly) recovered from the 36 hour return trip, I'm happy to be ashore. Any Chenin Blanc or Pinotage at the tiki bar?
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Deb F wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:01 am When you open the thread on Friday morning and it's already to page 5, you know you should get it! This was one I actually got before finishing it--that is so rare for me that I may have an early Bloody Mary!! On the beach, happily.
Deb
After I open topic I print out the contest and update my excel spreadsheet for the week. By the time I had done that this week there were already several answers so I knew the shore was going to be crowded
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Devilbunny wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:45 pm Fairly straightforward, though there was one brief sleeping policeman (I’d call it a speed bump, but the forum seems only to have a choice for British English when signing up, so...).

Long-time lurker, first-time poster, happy to be ashore. I’ve had a decent run lately, so I am sure that failure looms large in the near future. Oh well; I shall take my good fortune where I find it.
Welcome to the party. We are always glad to have more muggles. I am sure you have seen the links to the background and to the suggestions for solving these.

And we have a problem - now we have two bunnies (Devilbunny and Bunny/bunella) and we all know that you don't have two bunnies for long. :lol:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

A quick update given that the contest has been out almost 24 hours. We have 89 muggles already on the shore so we could break the all time record of 132. The full listing will come out tomorrow at noon as usual.

If you have not seen Saxerbrau's data for the last 200 weeks, read it. Very interesting.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:00 pm

Top 5 states for Winners
  • California – 22
    Massachusetts – 19
    New York – 17
    Ohio – 12
    Texas – 12
This is great! As a fellow nerd, I love the reminder that I've found my tribe:)

I'm surprised that California has more winners than New York. I'd have guessed that the highest density of WSJ subscribers is in New York, then the northeast, then the rest of the country.
Time for Pennsylvania to represent!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:14 pm An explanation for having the three time winner from Cotuit,MA which is not a town in MA
Bob, this is fascinating.

Much less confusing, but we have a minor version of this in my neighborhood of Chicago. Many older buildings look like they have two addresses, because in 1909 the city changed its street numbering system.

https://forgottenchicago.com/articles/old-addresses/
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Taking advantage of the Save Draft feature as I read through posts the past 24 hours, since most of my comments demand to be spoiler-ish. The post mortems should be fun, this week.

"Find me somebunny to love... Find me..."

Welcome to all new & old muggles!

Heading to watch the BEARCATS take on UCF, tonight. Tailgate? Why, thank you! I believe that I will!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Horsesense
Location: Sometimes Michigan, Sometimes Texas, but Maine at Heart

Post by Horsesense »

Top 5 states for Winners
  • California – 22
    Massachusetts – 19
    New York – 17
    Ohio – 12
    Texas – 12
Top 5 Cities for Winners
  • Portland, Oregon – 3
    Colorado Springs, Colorado – 3
    Berkeley, California – 3
    Cotuit, Massachusetts – 3
    Palo Alto, California – 2
Winners with more than one win
  • Laurie Dings, Cotuit, MA – 3 Mugs Won
    Kurt Huddleston, Lisle, IL – 2 Mugs Won
    Melanie Frost, Colorado Springs, CO – 2 Mugs Won
    Yossi Fendel, Berkeley, CA – 2 Mugs Won
States that have yet to win a contest crossword

Duplicate titles
  • City Folk – 2 Times it has been used
    Secret Ingredients - 2 Times it has been used
    Marking Time - 2 Times it has been used
Number of Titles by Author
  • Gaffney, Matt 100
    Kelly, Marie 63
    Shenk, Mike 16
    Berry, Patrick 13
    Gordon, Peter 6
    Muller, Pete 1
    McClary, Todd 1
    Grand Total 200

CORRECTION TO YOUR STATS:
Tim Maness, Mt. Pleasant, MI - 2 Mugs Won
:)
Horsesense
Location: Sometimes Michigan, Sometimes Texas, but Maine at Heart

Post by Horsesense »

Ashore, Fun puzzle this week.
Guy

Post by Guy »

chilling with Isaac, taking a break tonight to enjoy Abbey Road @ 50 with the local symphony, perhaps the meta will "come together" for me (groan, meta apologies...)
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

On shore ... some shore! LOL May my meta be the right meta. Works really well, but then so have a lot of my wrong answers. To Guy at #118 ... here comes the sun. : ) ) ) Monkey 47-and-tonic, with an orange slice, please. YUM.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Looked at it a few times over the past few hours, in total puzzlement, not even a glimmer of 6A in the distance.

And then: Aha!

Safely on shore.