"Two's Company" - September 27, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

[quote="Bob cruise director" post_id=7121 time=1569528095 user_id=95]
This weeks contest is Two's Company by Matt Gaffney. The answer to the is week's contest is a well- known corporations

Good luck to all winning the mug
Beautiful photo, Robert. Iโ€™m stumped for the moment. So many rabbit holes, so little time๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿ˜
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Was on a bike ride so I got a late start. I slogged through the grid, but quickly solved the meta.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Well.......Marion and I are on shore again - we took a short break in the weeds last week but are now solidly in the sand!

Luck to all.....
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

On shore! This would have been a more difficult meta with a few minor changes.
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Just dog-paddled ashore. Due to an upcoming trip, Iโ€™m pressed for time, so I botched the solve a bit, but the meta came easily, which is a blessing ... ๐Ÿ˜œ.
Sean

Post by Sean »

On the beach!
Tina

Post by Tina »

On shore! On the road this weekend for a family wedding in New England. It's chilly up here, and I only brought one pair of long pants.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Jeremy Smith wrote: โ†‘Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:00 pm Was on a bike ride so I got a late start. I slogged through the grid, but quickly solved the meta.
My bike is stationary. I solved a meta on it this week!
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

The Commodore is ashore.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

On shore.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Commodore wrote: โ†‘Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:53 pm The Commodore is ashore.
But is he 64?
Inca

Post by Inca »

As soon as I saw the clues, it seemed fairly obvious what was going on. (It seems that lately that's my method with metas: either see a pathway right away or just never see it.) But in going on to the next step there seemed to be a bit of inconsistency that bothers me a bit and it bothers me even more that no one else seems to be bothered by it. That makes me feel that maybe I'm wrong. But what I found cannot be a coincidence and it would be a huge amount of work for Matt just to put it in as a red herring. So, I've decided that my answer is right. Maybe I'm just missing some step that would make it all tie up nicer....or maybe it is good as is.
Wow, I 'm really rambling and can't seem to find the words to express myself clearly. I'll just leave it as: I pretty sure I'm on shore.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

On shore, unless there's a pageant in there somewhere.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Inca wrote: โ†‘Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:07 am As soon as I saw the clues, it seemed fairly obvious what was going on. (It seems that lately that's my method with metas: either see a pathway right away or just never see it.) But in going on to the next step there seemed to be a bit of inconsistency that bothers me a bit and it bothers me even more that no one else seems to be bothered by it. That makes me feel that maybe I'm wrong. But what I found cannot be a coincidence and it would be a huge amount of work for Matt just to put it in as a red herring. So, I've decided that my answer is right. Maybe I'm just missing some step that would make it all tie up nicer....or maybe it is good as is.
Wow, I 'm really rambling and can't seem to find the words to express myself clearly. I'll just leave it as: I pretty sure I'm on shore.
I saw two kinds of inconsistencies, but since what I found would logically lead me to an unambiguous answer, I wasn't concerned by it, perhaps just that it makes this puzzle slightly less elegant.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I'm safely on shore. I'd like to say more, but will wait until Sunday night.
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

Joined the growing company on the beach. Gettin mighty crowded.
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
jakeorjacob

Post by jakeorjacob »

Ashore. Made some very silly mistakes but bleary morning eyes made the corrections.

If I'd rather email, do I send it to the Gmail listed at the end of the PDF? Do people include their full grids, or just the meta answer?

(The only reason I ask is because that PDF seems very old and has Matt Gaffney's name at the top).
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Inca wrote: โ†‘Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:07 am Wow, I 'm really rambling and can't seem to find the words to express myself clearly. I'll just leave it as: I pretty sure I'm on shore.
What would you do if meta was torn in two
More than words to show you knew
That your answer is still true

What would you say if you took those words away
You couldn't make things more so
Just by saying that you know
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

jakeorjacob wrote: โ†‘Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:27 am If I'd rather email, do I send it to the Gmail listed at the end of the PDF? Do people include their full grids, or just the meta answer?
This secret word or phrase is that weekโ€™s Contest Answer, and you can email it to us each week at crosswordcontest@wsj.com for a chance to win a WSJ โ€œCROSSWORD CHAMPIONโ€ coffee mug. Please put your answer in the subject line of your email.

https://online.wsj.com/public/resources ... tguide.pdf
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!