"Simon Says" - August 9, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

31 Down wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:34 pm Brilliant! If possible, perhaps a rating (1-10?) for grid and meta difficulties as well. And the number of celebratory libations?
I can't add a 1-10 rating, but I have added a 1-5 star rating. It does half-stars too, so that basically gives a 1-10 scale. This appears at the top of the thread. It seems to be a rather temperamental feature, however. It worked well from my desktop, but on the phone, it's very sensitive and easy to accidentally give a rating. There does not seem to be a way to correct it if you accidentally give a rating you did not intend to. Anyway, I've added this feature to all the meta-puzzle threads. Let's play around with it this week and decide if it's worth keeping.
juliet wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:12 pm It was exciting to watch the forum to see if we'd have a new record. I love reading Bob's clever updates but am wondering if maybe there is a way to add a button or toggle feature to our posts or profiles for self-reporting our location (ship vs. shore), with the total numbers automatically tallied, and maybe a counter for each puzzle that shows the current standings.
I don't think there is a way to indicate this in your profile, but there is a "create a poll" option that could be used at the beginning of the thread. [Edit: hmm, I see now it adds it to every page of the thread.] This would allow you to indicate whether you are on the ship or made it to the beach. You can change your answer if you subsequently make it to the beach. I will temporarily add it to this thread as an example so everyone can see what it looks like, but it's up to Bob as to whether it's something he wants to incorporate.
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

BrianMac wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:16 pm
I can't add a 1-10 rating, but I have added a 1-5 star rating. It does half-stars too, so that basically gives a 1-10 scale. This appears at the top of the thread. It seems to be a rather temperamental feature, however. It worked well from my desktop, but on the phone, it's very sensitive and easy to accidentally give a rating. There does not seem to be a way to correct it if you accidentally give a rating you did not intend to. Anyway, I've added this feature to all the meta-puzzle threads. Let's play around with it this week and decide if it's worth keeping.
It would be nice if there are separate ratings for grid and for meta difficulties.

Once again, thanks for everything you've done, Brian. Not only have you rescued a wonderful forum, but you've made it more better!!!
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

31 Down wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:41 pm It would be nice if there are separate ratings for grid and for meta difficulties.
I agree, but unfortunately, the software does not allow for that.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

31 Down wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:41 pm
BrianMac wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:16 pm
It would be nice if there are separate ratings for grid and for meta difficulties.

Once again, thanks for everything you've done, Brian. Not only have you rescued a wonderful forum, but you've made it more better!!!
Yes!! It just keeps getting betterer and betterer!!
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

BrianMac wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:44 pm
31 Down wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:41 pm It would be nice if there are separate ratings for grid and for meta difficulties.
Perhaps it would be useful then to specify rating criteria. Seems that most Muggles discuss the meta difficulty.
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:43 pm We have worked hard to keep this blog a politic free zone.
I didn't realize that work had gone into this result (naive me). I just thought that everyone reading the forum could see that this was the norm and then decided to behave sensibly.
Jay
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:35 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:43 pm We have worked hard to keep this blog a politic free zone.
I didn't realize that work had gone into this result (naive me). I just thought that everyone reading the forum could see that this was the norm and then decided to behave sensibly.
I thought so, too. It never occured to me to introduce politics into our conversations.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Did Mike post results and the winner, and I missed it? Thanks Brian for being so helpful!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

You are 99% true. Most of us are focused on outwitting Matt, Mike (Marie) and their guests
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Meg wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:34 am Did Mike post results and the winner, and I missed it? Thanks Brian for being so helpful!
I have not seen one but (gasp), he might have taken a long weekend off.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Inca

Post by Inca »

SewYoung wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:40 pm
I thought so, too. It never occured to me to introduce politics into our conversations.
Isn't it nice to know that there is still a whole bunch of people who can all get along...and have a good time....without politicizing anything?
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

31 Down wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:26 pm
BrianMac wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:44 pm
Perhaps it would be useful then to specify rating criteria. Seems that most Muggles discuss the meta difficulty.
Yes...please tell us if we are rating the difficulty of the grid, the difficulty of the meta, the fun-ness of solving the meta, the likeability of the whole puzzle....or what?
Cynthia
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

And here are the results: An unusually popular puzzle with a great showing of correct answers: 1991 answers, 96% correct. Simon was also represented among the incorrect answers, including "You Can Call Me Al" (10) and "I Am a Rock" (1). Plus a smattering of other guesses, such as "Build Me Up Buttercup," "Big Rock Candy Mountain" (what's with the rocks?) and "Bad Day."

Congrats to this week's winner: David Jeand'Heur of Mt. Sinai, NY!
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:07 pm And here are the results: An unusually popular puzzle with a great showing of correct answers: 1991 answers, 96% correct. Simon was also represented among the incorrect answers, including "You Can Call Me Al" (10) and "I Am a Rock" (1). Plus a smattering of other guesses, such as "Build Me Up Buttercup," "Big Rock Candy Mountain" (what's with the rocks?) and "Bad Day."

Congrats to this week's winner: David Jeand'Heur of Mt. Sinai, NY!
This must be in new records territory!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:07 pm <snip> "Big Rock Candy Mountain" (what's with the rocks?). . ."
It is rock music.
Jay
BethA

Post by BethA »

I thought many of the regular songwriters would pick up on the same idea. Crossword Fiend took it and ran with it. I just wanted to throw mine out there —

50 Ways to Solve a Meta

The problem is all inside your head the constructor said to me
The answer is easy if you take it logically
I'd like to help you, MUGgle to succeed
There must be fifty ways to solve a meta

They said it's really not my habit to intrude
Furthermore, I hope my meaning won't be lost or misconstrued
But I'll repeat myself at the risk of being crude
There must be fifty ways to solve a meta
Fifty ways to solve a meta

Print a new grid, Syd.
Search on the web, Deb.
Don’t just take a guess, Les.

That’s as far as I got, but it was fun...
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Just pencil it in, Lynn. (because my middle name is Lynn)
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Parse every clue, Stu. (Nothing rhymes with Cynthia)
Cynthia
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Ask Mr. G, Dee
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

mheberlingx100 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:06 pm Ask Mr. G, Dee
...and get yourself free.