"AP English" - January 8, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

I haven't been around much lately, so it's nice to come back and immediately land on the seashore. Happy new year to all!
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:17 pm
802puzzler wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:25 pm Just finished the grid (tough one), so count me at sea for now. I'll take a jigsaw puzzle break and then come back with fresh eyes and clear mind!
Are you available to help on my Christmas jig saw puzzle? Van Gogh's Starry Night - makes the meta look easy
Man, I'd love to be doing that! Unfortunately, I can't locate the top of my dining room table.
Resized_20201230_120813.jpeg
Miki

Post by Miki »

Got the grid, got the puzzle, but not getting the hidden bird references...
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Miki wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:52 pm Got the grid, got the puzzle, but not getting the hidden bird references...
No references in the grid or the meta. Just LadyBird and myself having fun with her weekly post where the capital letters each week spell out a bird's name
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

I may have only gotten a 3 on my AP English exam (not good enough for college credit, boooo) but I got the meta!
Jackie88

Post by Jackie88 »

On shore! Really enjoyed this one!
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

On shore!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:42 pm
Colin wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:15 am
Joe Ross wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:56 am

Blah. Blah. Blah.

Gimme a bucket of ice & a bowl of Splenda®.

;)
Hmmm. You have a point. Some people just don’t appreciate the reverence of well-crafted beverages...
https://youtu.be/_akYdDIqYiE
Well bless my soul, as someone who appreciates the reverence of a well-crafted beverage, the kind in which you might make an in-vestment, and certainly would want to drink at the advent of a communion with family and friends, I wouldn't altar your description of the act of indulgence one bit. But I must say, 2020, and the 2020 OT we are in now, has circumcised the Acts of wine drinking to 1) Pop cork, 2) Slosh into nearest glass, 3) Down, 4) Repeat.

(Take it away, Dr. Tom!)

BTW: Haven't started the puzzle yet. Still in port, waiting on the gangplank for my kids to tell me when they have time to zoom. (How long does Counter-Strike take?)
Well I like wine foreplay as much as anyone (kind of why, even though I know they are a superior closure I don't like the Stelvin because they are just grab and screw off) but I am always in a hurry to solve the META. I think part of that is because it usually comes quickly or it does not come at all and then I have to ask for help. So, if I jump on it early I can start getting to the AHA and perhaps even have the rest of the week-end to try another.

Still, as shown in the clip, and emphasized by Hunter, it can be a religious experience that you can get alb tied up with. I confess that there are times I will attempt a Hail Mary and our further paths at the same time, particularly if I have a lot going on and cannot consecrate. I liked this week, but I also like those puzzles that have intersecting lines and the letters at the stations of the cross. The whole META puzzle undertaking was a baptism by fire but I have confirmed my love of the process, and besides if I were to stop admit it, you'd missal me. I hope my positive experience continues because they have to be funeral quit.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

KayW wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:59 pm
And the next challenge? A mystery bag jigsaw puzzle I found in my closet. No box, NO PICTURE WHATSOVER :smiling_imp:
Oooh that would be fun! Maybe we should start a puzzle swap where we just send the pieces, but not the box!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Uggh. Unlike many, I actually got the grid fairly quickly (I always knew watching cooking show competitions would pay off some day), but am hopelessly at sea on the meta. I see various things that must mean something, but I just can't seem to put anything logical together. Hoping inspiration will strike at some point.
Matthew
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

MatthewL wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:51 pm Uggh. Unlike many, I actually got the grid fairly quickly (I always knew watching cooking show competitions would pay off some day), but am hopelessly at sea on the meta. I see various things that must mean something, but I just can't seem to put anything logical together. Hoping inspiration will strike at some point.
This is one of those that will be a major “aha!” moment, but it took me a bit. You’ll get it!
MMac

Post by MMac »

Ashore and relieved. Solid puzzle. Well done, guys.
Devilbunny

Post by Devilbunny »

Ashore. Didn't even attempt over the holidays, but was having a pretty bad streak before then and constantly thinking "yeah, wouldn't have gotten that" on Monday.

This fell in my wheelhouse. I spotted the basic mechanism while doing the grid and had the answer within a minute or two of finishing it. I did it online rather than on paper (as is my wont) this time, and I spent most of that time finding the starred clues in the list.
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

Ashore. What's for dinner?
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Safely ashore this week. Found the grid more difficult than usual, and the meta was challenging as well. I'll celebrate tonight with a pour of Col. Taylor small batch bourbon!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Ashore! Liked this one a lot. Finally starting to get used to the constructors' various mechanisms.
Last edited by Cap'n Rick on Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Tom Mueller

Post by Tom Mueller »

On the beach. Tough grid for me, but the meta made it well worth the effort!
Billy M

Post by Billy M »

On shore thanks to a kind nudge from a helpful muggle. Seeing as it's January, it looks like I'll be having a Michelob Ultra 🙁
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are definitely ashore - she did all the rowing and I rowed........oops "rode".

Nice to be 1/1 in 2021 - looking for a mug this year.
Grover

Post by Grover »

Ashore. 63Ded a 45A and rode to shore in style.