"AP English" - January 8, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Ashore! Struggled my way through the grid, but I had fun solving the meta!
It's a coffee table book about coffee tables
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well that was refreshing! I looked at the META last night after solving the rather grueling GRID and got NADA/SQUAT/NOTHING. Then after my haircut this AM (which my wife feels is a complete waste of money) and a trip to Trader Joe's (where I can never go without coming home with at least 7 more things than were on my list) I got the puzzle and some coffee and put it on the kitchen island I was sitting at [WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU, DID YOU NEVER TAKE ENGLISH, "on the kitchen island where I was sitting"] when it hit me [YOU ARE HOPELESS! REALLY, THE COUNTER ACTUALLY HIT YOU? FOR GOD'S SAKE TOM]. From there on it was an easy stroll to the solution.

Clever and different mechanism and a confidence builder. I just downloaded Mr. Gaffney's week 2 puzzle so I'll see how I fare with that one. But as for the WSJCC - ASHORE!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

On shore. The mechanism became obvious to me rather quickly, but the solve came a day late due to what I will call here an inelegance. I don't want to say any more about it until Tuesday so as not to be spoilerish. That said, I can sympathize with how difficult it can be to construct any meta-puzzle. I once created a variety meta-puzzle with a somewhat similar inelegance, and it was left in place because I could not, despite a lot of effort, make the puzzle work any other way. Other than that one glitch, I think this is a first-class puzzle!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:08 pm
CPJohnson wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:39 pmLost At Sea.
It was so nice to meet you on the Muggle Meet-up on Tuesday!
Sorry I missed last week. MetaMom - show up again so I can meet you.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Thanks! I plan to be there again.
Cynthia
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:47 pm
Sorry I missed last week. MetaMom - show up again so I can meet you.
I plan to.
Cynthia
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

On shore, after Mega Daughter confirmed that I was on the right path. Can't say that I fully understand the process, but I'm sure the answer I've derived is correct.
Cynthia
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Just finished the grid (tough one), so count me at sea for now. I'll take a jigsaw puzzle break and then come back with fresh eyes and clear mind!
wb93

Post by wb93 »

Safely onshore. Definitely earned a nice hot toddy tonight for this one.

Found the puzzle a bit more challenging than usual.

Loved the meta. Took a bit a extra work to sort the final step. Really well constructed.

May this indeed be the start to a hAPpy new year.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

DrTom wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:09 pm Well that was refreshing! I looked at the META last night after solving the rather grueling GRID and got NADA/SQUAT/NOTHING. Then after my haircut this AM (which my wife feels is a complete waste of money) and a trip to Trader Joe's (where I can never go without coming home with at least 7 more things than were on my list) I got the puzzle and some coffee and put it on the kitchen island I was sitting at [WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU, DID YOU NEVER TAKE ENGLISH, "on the kitchen island where I was sitting"] when it hit me [YOU ARE HOPELESS! REALLY, THE COUNTER ACTUALLY HIT YOU? FOR GOD'S SAKE TOM]. From there on it was an easy stroll to the solution.

Clever and different mechanism and a confidence builder. I just downloaded Mr. Gaffney's week 2 puzzle so I'll see how I fare with that one. But as for the WSJCC - ASHORE!!!
Your wife is right as far as I can see.
Jay
ADS

Post by ADS »

I'm ashore. I think this was a fantastic puzzle, and I fully agree with the many others who have commented that it is nice to see new constructors.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:30 pm
DrTom wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:09 pm ...my haircut this AM (which my wife feels is a complete waste of money)
I'm not a tonsure that Tom doesn't have hair on the sides & back of his head.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

M and M wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:05 pm Seeing a new name made me nervous, but the puzzle proved to be clever and fun. A different mechanism than AP Chemistry from some time ago, which is probably my all-time favorite meta.

We enjoyed it, and are always thankful to solve on Thursday, rather than tearing our hair till Sunday pm
Oh yes I agree re AP Chemistry. I got the aha at 35000 feet after spending hours and hours. Will never forget it. When someone suggested this week we name our faves that was first to come to mind.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Ashore, and unlike my first two weeks when I was only really sure I was on the right beach once the answer was posted, this time I'm confident.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Late in reporting--I made it ashore yesterday afternoon. It was a DAsh to the meta answer once I finished the hard woRK of the grid. Step one quickly caught my EYe and the solution soon followED. Now I must JUmp into the car for an eNCOunter with the oral surgeon. The kids and spouses are coming in this evening for a covid-delayed Christmas, so this unexpected dental glitch is not appreciated. But my son-in-law was able to find the Yuengling Hershey that someone mentioned here a few weeks ago, so I will be having that tonight after they arrive!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

CPJohnson wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:14 pm On shore, after Mega Daughter confirmed that I was on the right path. Can't say that I fully understand the process, but I'm sure the answer I've derived is correct.
Mega Daughter had questions so I have PM'd her with information. She has not responded yet
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
NuYear68

Post by NuYear68 »

Completed my swim to shore and ready for a drink to celebrate a good start to the 2021 metas. Make mine a Manhattan.

Cheers!
Paul
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:44 pm
Bird Lives wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:30 pm
DrTom wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:09 pm ...my haircut this AM (which my wife feels is a complete waste of money)
I'm not a tonsure that Tom doesn't have hair on the sides & back of his head.
Well, I do agree that it is shear follycle, but I actually do have hair on the sides and back and if I let it grow I start to resemble a cartoon scientist! I disdain the comb-over so many of my colleagues are fond of. A part that starts in the middle of the left ear just never looked right. So I'm just goign to brush off those comments (since there is precious little else for my brush to do)
Professor.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

802puzzler wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:25 pm Just finished the grid (tough one), so count me at sea for now. I'll take a jigsaw puzzle break and then come back with fresh eyes and clear mind!
Are you available to help on my Christmas jig saw puzzle? Van Gogh's Starry Night - makes the meta look easy
Attachments
IMG_2260.jpg
IMG_2261.jpg
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

On shore!

I liked this one, a lot.

Of course, I like ALL of the ones that I GET! :lol:
Konnie