"AP English" - January 8, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

I woke up with an answer, so I think I am Done.
Colin

Post by Colin »

I am stunned at the warp speed that many muggles take when consuming this (and every) week’s fruits. I prefer to take time to admire the container, check the vintage, read the labels, carefully remove the cork, check for indications of mal-storage, leave to breathe for a while, carefully move the contents to a different container, inhale the unique qualities, take a small sip to see what we have, allow the flavors to flower, imagine the work that went into crafting this special product, visualize the place of origin, multiplex small sips with my dinner, put the stopper in and then repeat until finished. This can take hours or sometimes days but the feeling I get when finished is like being on some remote shore in paradise!
So far this week, however, I am still admiring the container.
One world. One planet. One future.
mbryant

Post by mbryant »

Finally got around to looking at this today. On shore
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

MikeM000 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:58 pm Definitely on shore and submitted, but I have no idea how the pieces ordered themselves into the correct answer.
Look at your grid.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore, as of yesterday. Usually I wait to do the puzzle until the print version appears on Friday. Often I check the rating on Thursday, however, and when I saw 2 1/2 stars so early I got worried. So to give myself more time I went to work immediately. This mechanism has been used before, a fact that really helped in finding the solution.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

On shore!
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

Ashore, with a hat tip to @boharr who assured me I was on the right track...sometimes we just need a little encouragement that THIS is the right rabbit trail.
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

I also think this one should be rated as fairly challenging, even if you found the answer quickly.
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

On shore, wheeee!
On Monday, I'll have a question about the path to the answer. I'm 100% sure my answer is correct but only 90% of my steps made sense in that distinctly meta-riffic way.

Happy weekend to all!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Colin wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:38 am I am stunned at the warp speed that many muggles take when consuming this (and every) week’s fruits. I prefer to take time to admire the container, check the vintage, read the labels, carefully remove the cork, check for indications of mal-storage, leave to breathe for a while, carefully move the contents to a different container, inhale the unique qualities, take a small sip to see what we have, allow the flavors to flower, imagine the work that went into crafting this special product, visualize the place of origin, multiplex small sips with my dinner, put the stopper in and then repeat until finished. This can take hours or sometimes days but the feeling I get when finished is like being on some remote shore in paradise!
Blah. Blah. Blah.

Gimme a bucket of ice & a bowl of Splenda®.

;)
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

escapeartist wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:47 am Me and Isaac still chilling at the bar as I think through this meta.

I learned some new AP Eng vocabulary in the grid, that's for sure - that was tough.

The meta appears even more difficult.
With a fresh set of eyes this morning I am now on the beach.

Funny how that works.
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I had a tough time with the grid, and now I am sure I know the answer but I'm not able to make it work exactly. I must have some mistakes in the grid :-/ Count me on the boat.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:56 am
Colin wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:38 am I am stunned at the warp speed that many muggles take when consuming this (and every) week’s fruits. I prefer to take time to admire the container, check the vintage, read the labels, carefully remove the cork, check for indications of mal-storage, leave to breathe for a while, carefully move the contents to a different container, inhale the unique qualities, take a small sip to see what we have, allow the flavors to flower, imagine the work that went into crafting this special product, visualize the place of origin, multiplex small sips with my dinner, put the stopper in and then repeat until finished. This can take hours or sometimes days but the feeling I get when finished is like being on some remote shore in paradise!
Blah. Blah. Blah.

Gimme a bucket of ice & a bowl of Splenda®.

;)
Hmmm. You have a point. Some people just don’t appreciate the reverence of well-crafted beverages...
https://youtu.be/_akYdDIqYiE
One world. One planet. One future.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Joepickett wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:42 pm
Thurman8er wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:15 pm That was easy! Ashore!

Hey, you all stay safe and stay strong, okay? The nights can be dark, but joy comes in the morning. :)
I disagree. This is not easy.
So you are saying that I may get the answer when I wake up?
Precisely! To bed last night after puzzling over meta --- the mechanism dawned on me while supine, and I suspected the answer from what I remembered (but not completely) of the grid. Sorely tempted to get up and apply it but resisted; confirmation waited until this AM. :D

So now ASHORE!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning

Our report is a little early but we have 2 on the ship with Isaac and 88 on the shore basking in the sunlight.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Ashore. This was a fun one. I’ll have a Jack, neat.
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

Safely ashore. Was mostly there last night, but needed to see one more thing to properly navigate.
JimJim

Post by JimJim »

Ashore! Fun one. Thank you guest constructors!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Lost At Sea.
Cynthia
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

CPJohnson wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:39 pmLost At Sea.
It was so nice to meet you on the Muggle Meet-up on Tuesday!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!