"United in Duet"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
damefox

"United in Duet"

Post by damefox »

Welcome to the first Muggle Meta Monday of 2021! The puzzle can be found on Crosshare, here: https://crosshare.org/crosswords/qujMRpvIzUcNdXpQrFcr. The meta answer is a six-letter word.

I have a feeling this one will play pretty hard. I'd say a solid week 4 on the Gaffney scale, but also I may be very bad at judging these things and it could wind up being a week 1, or just plain impossible. I'm aiming for a week 4. I'll post nudges on Wednesday and a solution on Sunday afternoon.

Happy solving, and Happy New Year!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Yikes! Pretty hard, huh? I'm saving it for tonight. With various things to attend to today, I don't want to be too distracted!
damefox

Post by damefox »

Reassuringly, one person has already solved it (I'll post a leaderboard tonight), so it's not impossible!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

damefox wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:37 am Reassuringly, one person has already solved it (I'll post a leaderboard tonight), so it's not impossible!
Oh, I'm definitely looking forward to it. Just need to get out and about right now. (Safely, to be sure. In fact, my day today includes a Covid test, for a minor periodontic procedure later in the week.)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Dechesterfielded!
TMart

Post by TMart »

Off the couch! Great meta.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Is there a pdf available so I can print it out?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

oldjudge wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:23 pm Is there a pdf available so I can print it out?
A PDF can be created/printed from the PUZ file.

20210104 MMM damefox United in Duet PDF from PUZ

๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Joe-That didn't work for me-when I tried to print the image was too small so that the clues were unreadable. Can it be made into a pdf? Thanks for the effort!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

oldjudge wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:32 pm Joe-That didn't work for me-when I tried to print the image was too small so that the clues were unreadable. Can it be made into a pdf? Thanks for the effort!
You're welcome, Jay. :)

The PDF created from the PUZ file opened from the crosshare online form (with some minimal editing) is linked above & below. Clicking on will open it in a new tab, or bring you to the file in OneDrive. In either case, download or save the file to your own drive.

20210104 MMM damefox United in Duet PDF from PUZ

damefox

Post by damefox »

Here is a link to a downloadable PDF version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_chOts ... sp=sharing.

PS - If anyone has figured out how to get the Description field from Crossword Compiler to appear on a PDF I would love to know.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Never mind-you just needed to fool with the magnification--thank you!
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Awaiting confirmation but pretty sure Iโ€™m off the couch
Great meta!

Edit: Confirmed!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

oldjudge wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:32 pm Joe-That didn't work for me-when I tried to print the image was too small so that the clues were unreadable. Can it be made into a pdf? Thanks for the effort!
In Crossshare, go to More in the upper right, then Print Puzzle. It should give you a .pdf, which you can print and save.
Jay
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I believe I may just have stumbled into the clearing! Waiting for confirmation but I think I am ready to transport.

EDIT: Confirmed - well that was fun! Probably not a week 4 if I got it that early, but not simple either. I think it really depend on how lucky one gets, the second thing I tried, with a little finagling, worked.
traqctor-beam.png
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Welcome back to MMM! Nice puzzle- quite harmonious. I think the difficulty level is just right.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
โ€”Brian MacDonald
Meg

Post by Meg »

Iโ€™m awaiting confirmation, but feel great. This was an excellent puzzle.
Confirmed. If you are composing a new pm, and you donโ€™t type in a subject, you think youโ€™re submitting when you hit the submit button, but youโ€™re not. Iโ€™ve done this too many times!
Last edited by Meg on Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Meg

Post by Meg »

oldjudge wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:23 pm Is there a pdf available so I can print it out?
Jay,
In Acrosslite, you can email the puzzle out as a pdf. I suggest emailing it to yourself.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Meg wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:37 pm Iโ€™m awaiting confirmation, but feel great. This was an excellent puzzle.
I would love to confirm your answer, but I haven't gotten it! If you're starting a new PM, make sure you hit "Add" after you type in a username.