"The Party Starts at 10" - December 31, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Henry Paul

Post by Henry Paul »

Henry Paul wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:38 pm Still stuck at the back of the boat, railing like Lear about how sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to not have a clue on this "easy" meta...

NY's resolution -- it's ok to ask for help. If anyone wants to send a DM nudge my way, I'm accepting...
And help I received! Thank you all!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning fellow muggles

The shore is getting more crowded with 203 partying there. and we have 3 on the ship with Isaac

On the ship are
becca
SewYoung
and JRS51

New to the shore are
Dow Jones
Limerick Savant - welcome back after a while
whimsy
Zac and Aunt Norma and Lisa
collegecrossworders
yourpalsal
Tripod
and Henry Paul

Good luck to all winning the mug and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

whimsy wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:35 pm Gift my kids sent me -- as well as a word of warning ---

Capturebunny.JPG

(Anyone read his Thursday Next series -- lots of fun if you like books, and words, and noir detective fiction, and British tea cozy fiction, and alternative history, and lots of other bizarre stuff!)

On to the puzzle --
Happy New Year All!
Also a Thursday Next fan! Always love to get lost in a good book! Was lucky enough to see Fforde speak at a local bookstore some years ago. He is as funny in person as he is on the page.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Annabelle wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:48 pm
whimsy wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:35 pm Gift my kids sent me -- as well as a word of warning ---

Capturebunny.JPG

(Anyone read his Thursday Next series -- lots of fun if you like books, and words, and noir detective fiction, and British tea cozy fiction, and alternative history, and lots of other bizarre stuff!)

On to the puzzle --
Happy New Year All!
Also a Thursday Next fan! Always love to get lost in a good book! Was lucky enough to see Fforde speak at a local bookstore some years ago. He is as funny in person as he is on the page.
After reading the Thursday Next series (which I loved), I tried reading Great Expectations but couldn't get through it. Now I have a hankering to reread some Fforde and try Great Expectations again.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:18 pm For WSJ subscribers only, there's a bonus puzzle pack at https://www.wsjplus.com/offers/puzzles-winter-2020

My New Year's puzzle resolution is to broaden my horizons and do more variety puzzles, not just crosswords. This was a fun way to get started with that (so obviously not all that difficult:)
Good suggestion for the Brain Freeze bonus puzzle pack!

Or "bad suggestion" if you wanted to get anything accomplished on the Sunday afternoon before going back to work! I wast... uh... I mean... keep busy much of the day with it.

(Though I messed up one letter from puzzle #2 which made the final puzzle not work until I went back and redid it. :oops: D'oh!)
khanthedane

Post by khanthedane »

First time submission! I hope I get this right...(please let me know if I don't)

Ashore with a nice hazy IPA! Cheers =)
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore. Found the destination before I figured out the path. Happy New Year!
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

I may have reached shore; have an answer that I will submit.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

HunterX wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:12 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:18 pm For WSJ subscribers only, there's a bonus puzzle pack at https://www.wsjplus.com/offers/puzzles-winter-2020

My New Year's puzzle resolution is to broaden my horizons and do more variety puzzles, not just crosswords. This was a fun way to get started with that (so obviously not all that difficult:)

Or "bad suggestion" if you wanted to get anything accomplished on the Sunday afternoon before going back to work! I wast... uh... I mean... keep busy much of the day with it.

(Though I messed up one letter from puzzle #2 which made the final puzzle not work until I went back and redid it. :oops: D'oh!)
My husband and I did those over the long weekend. And it was his idea. Baby steps to getting him into puzzles.
FirstMax

Post by FirstMax »

I’m on shore. This felt like a quiz: do you KNOW or are you GUESSING?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final report a bit early

We have 204 on the shore with FirstMax joining the crowd and 3 on the ship
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

I am finally posting after a looooong dry spell. Ihavebeenhanging out with Isaac since the pandemic started. Finally I got it!
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

I'm trying to get ashore, but can't find the second word of the 4 word phrase...
Also, don't understand answer for 59A. Huh?
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

I decided to take one last look and it just popped out at me. Dom didn’t make it, but with travel today, he didn’t have much time for it today.

On a personal note, Dom and I are partaking in a program called Exodus 90, which, among other things, makes social media verboten. So no posting from me (and no indirect reporting on Dom) until April. See you then!

PS: www.exodus90.com if you’re interested in learning what this program is about.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

sphorning wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:14 pm I'm trying to get ashore, but can't find the second word of the 4 word phrase...
Also, don't understand answer for 59A. Huh?
Id est (Latin “that is”), most often seen abbreviated as i. e.

Nudge for answer available if wanted.
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Ashore.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

LadyBird wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:38 pm
HunterX wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:12 pm

(...)
My husband and I did those over the long weekend. And it was his idea. Baby steps to getting him into puzzles.
Baby steps can turn into leaps and bounds. Though, perhaps a warning...? I got my sister into the Friday WSJ meta-puzzle. Now she texts me all weekend for hints. She doesn't usually solve it until mid-week the following week. I haven't mentioned that there's a coveted mug at stake. Is that wrong of me? My fiancée says not to, or she'll win a mug her first time while I've submitted countless times to no avail.
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Late start but ashore - happy new year all!
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Waiting to confirm answer with puzzle drop, in 3, 2, 1....
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20201231 WSJCC The Party Starts at 10.gif
Last edited by Joe Ross on Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!