"The Party Starts at 10" - December 31, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

After almost 3 days of "meta blindness", I believe I have solved this "easy" puzzle. I will enjoy a Harvey Wallbanger this evening.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

LadyBird wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:07 pm I'm ashore!

I joined this merry band of muggles around EASTEr time this year and here we are at the tuRN of the year. Even when hit with a bout of the BLUEs, I enjoy printing out the meta and (usually) chasing a rabBIt ot two in search of the woRD or phrase (or is it frays).

What I enjoy the most, though, is checking in to this forum and your wit and banter and poetry and just general good-heartedness. Thank you and happy new year!
When I saw your "birdie-gram" this week, I remembered that I wanted to ask you a question about these beautiful and fascinating birds. I was going to send a PM, but thought that other bird-loving MUGgles might enjoy reading, too, so here is the story: A few weeks ago, I witnessed some interesting bird behavior that captivated me on two consecutive afternoons. There is a lovely dogwood tree outside our sunroom, the site of a robin brood last spring. (That provided much happy bird-watching, in itself! But the fledglings are long gone and the nest has mostly fallen apart.) I noticed a male robin, however, who seemed to be using the tree as a look-out post. Had there been any red berries left on the tree, I would have understood, but those had already been eaten by our bird population. Then the fun started. At least 6 of this week's birds, both male and female, were either trying to perch in the dogwood tree or hopping about on the ground below. I typed "at least" because it was difficult to tell exactly how many birds there were. The robin insisted on chasing them out of "his" tree or dive-bombing them as they tried to approach from ground-level. Had this happened in the spring, I would have chalked it up to daddy robin guarding the nest, but this almost appeared to be some sort of game. The robin was greatly outnumbered and the "others" seemed to be teaming up against him. One would fly in from one direction while the robin chased another in the opposite direction. The birds on the ground would move in from different sides when the robin was occupied in the sky. When he returned, he would dive and then hop and run under the tree to make the interlopers scatter. I'm not even sure how long this continued as a phone call interrupted my viewing. Then I witnessed the exact same behaviors the next afternoon from my laundry room window, which also looks out on the dogwood. I've searched my book on "this week's subjects" to no avail and I'm probably applying some anthropomorphism to these delightful occurrences, but would love your thoughts if you have any!

Other MUGgle birders, feel free to chime in!
Sara
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

we're just enjoying the SPARRing at the feeder Out our front Window.

the squirrels are frustrated, they keep trying to ROB food from the feeder, but aren't able to get INto it with ease (none of those seen right now)

if we play our CARDs correctly, IN due time, ALl will come clear (many of these here in the St. Louis area, not just the baseball players).
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:33 pm

I joined this merry band of muggles around EASTEr time this year and here we are at the tuRN of the year. Even when hit with a bout of the BLUEs, I enjoy printing out the meta and (usually) chasing a rabBIt ot two in search of the woRD or phrase (or is it frays).

What I enjoy the most, though, is checking in to this forum and your wit and banter and poetry and just general good-heartedness. Thank you and happy new year!
When I saw your "birdie-gram" this week, I remembered that I wanted to ask you a question about these beautiful and fascinating birds. I was going to send a PM, but thought that other bird-loving MUGgles might enjoy reading, too, so here is the story: A few weeks ago, I witnessed some interesting bird behavior that captivated me on two consecutive afternoons. There is a lovely dogwood tree outside our sunroom, the site of a robin brood last spring. (That provided much happy bird-watching, in itself! But the fledglings are long gone and the nest has mostly fallen apart.) I noticed a male robin, however, who seemed to be using the tree as a look-out post. Had there been any red berries left on the tree, I would have understood, but those had already been eaten by our bird population. Then the fun started. At least 6 of this week's birds, both male and female, were either trying to perch in the dogwood tree or hopping about on the ground below. I typed "at least" because it was difficult to tell exactly how many birds there were. The robin insisted on chasing them out of "his" tree or dive-bombing them as they tried to approach from ground-level. Had this happened in the spring, I would have chalked it up to daddy robin guarding the nest, but this almost appeared to be some sort of game. The robin was greatly outnumbered and the "others" seemed to be teaming up against him. One would fly in from one direction while the robin chased another in the opposite direction. The birds on the ground would move in from different sides when the robin was occupied in the sky. When he returned, he would dive and then hop and run under the tree to make the interlopers scatter. I'm not even sure how long this continued as a phone call interrupted my viewing. Then I witnessed the exact same behaviors the next afternoon from my laundry room window, which also looks out on the dogwood. I've searched my book on "this week's subjects" to no avail and I'm probably applying some anthropomorphism to these delightful occurrences, but would love your thoughts if you have any!

Birds are very territorial and in many cases not very nice when defending their territory. For us in the northeast, Robins will flock when they are not establishing their territory and will stay around all winter as long as they have food and water. Robins transition from primarily meat eating (worms and such) in the summer to fruit eating in the winter although they will eat seeds and suet. In the spring, they establish territories quickly and then settle down to raising families.

It seems a little early but you may have a yearling robin who is starting to claim his territory, possibly where he was born.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:32 am
Kris Zacharias wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:07 am I know what the answer is, but typed it wrong in my submission and only noticed the error as I heard the little whoosh upon sending. So I'm not on shore, but should be. Is there a blog category for this? Some sort of cruciverbalist purgatory? Oh well. Happy new year!
You are on the shore in our hearts
Thanks! A very long time ago I took a class in typing on a real typewriter, a mechanical one without letters on the keys at that! The exercises had endless repetitions of letter combinations (ar ar ar,at at at, etc.) so that letter combinations became automatic. 40 words per minute with no mistakes was the goal, if I remember correctly. With the advent of computers I have found that my fingers have their own mind. So they went to work sans input from the brain as I emailed the WSJ my answer. I can now type so much faster than 40 words per minute, but alas, with much less accuracy.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:33 pm

I'm jealous that you have all of those lovely birds to look at in your yard! I have some nice ones, but not this week's bird. Although there are some in the nearby cemetery, they don't seem to travel to my yard. Some robins who do stick around all winter have an earlier chance at grabbing their territory. I like Bob's explanation. Your robin is really jumping to the head of the line!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

I wonder how many of us are in Florida at least part of the year? Maybe a Florida meetup is actually doable. 🤔 Speaking out of supreme self interest, I am about 60 miles south of Jacksonville but will go anywhere in the state for a meet and greet with this group!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

Kris Zacharias wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:29 pm
Kris Zacharias wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:07 am I know what the answer is, but typed it wrong in my submission and only noticed the error as I heard the little whoosh upon sending. So I'm not on shore, but should be. Is there a blog category for this? Some sort of cruciverbalist purgatory? Oh well. Happy new year!
Thanks! A very long time ago I took a class in typing on a real typewriter, a mechanical one without letters on the keys at that! The exercises had endless repetitions of letter combinations (ar ar ar,at at at, etc.) so that letter combinations became automatic. 40 words per minute with no mistakes was the goal, if I remember correctly. With the advent of computers I have found that my fingers have their own mind. So they went to work sans input from the brain as I emailed the WSJ my answer. I can now type so much faster than 40 words per minute, but alas, with much less accuracy.
I have a analogous sad tale. While working on the meta, I arrived at “that” for the answer. After further thought, I said, “No, “this” is the correct answer.” Later, what did I submit? Of course, I did! :(
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I have the "Meta Blindness", too. So many thought this one was easy, but I am just not seeing it....
This week's was too easy and I got the HEX cryptic, so the weekend is not a complete bust.
Tripod

Post by Tripod »

It just popped in there. Ashore. Vodka calls...
John77

Post by John77 »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:06 pm
Nlobb wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:06 am Cheers to 2021!! Prohibition has ended in Mississippi more than 90 years after it did for the rest of the country. It is now legal to possess liquor in all counties, although you can't buy it in all counties. Residents of dry counties will have to vote for that right. Luckily our county is not dry, so here's to 2021!!!
Anyone want to take a guess as to which was the first beer to be sold when prohibition ended? Yep, Utica Club, from the West End Brewery in Utica, NY. They had the paperwork submitted and were the first brewery nationwide to get approval to sell and distribute beer... within an hour and a half of the repeal of the amendment. Now, how they happened to have beer ready to be distributed is another question...
They had Schultz and Dooley working for them, of course they were prepared!
Last edited by John77 on Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

John77 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:25 pm
Nlobb wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:06 am Cheers to 2021!! Prohibition has ended in Mississippi more than 90 years after it did for the rest of the country. It is now legal to possess liquor in all counties, although you can't buy it in all counties. Residents of dry counties will have to vote for that right. Luckily our county is not dry, so here's to 2021!!!
Anyone want to take a guess as to which was the first beer to be sold when prohibition ended? Yep, Utica Club, from the West End Brewery in Utica, NY. They had the paperwork submitted and were the first brewery nationwide to get approval to sell and distribute beer... within an hour and a half of the repeal of the amendment. Now, how they happened to have beer ready to be distributed is another question...
They had Shultz and Dooley working for them, of course they were prepared!
The best thing about Utica Club (besides the price) was the Shultz and Dooley commercials
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Henry Paul

Post by Henry Paul »

Still stuck at the back of the boat, railing like Lear about how sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to not have a clue on this "easy" meta...

NY's resolution -- it's ok to ask for help. If anyone wants to send a DM nudge my way, I'm accepting...
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Ashore. And wondering if there will be some spirited debate about this one... :D
collegecrossworders

Post by collegecrossworders »

ashore! wishing you all a happy new year!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:27 pm
John77 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:25 pm

They had Shultz and Dooley working for them, of course they were prepared!
The best thing about Utica Club (besides the price) was the Shultz and Dooley commercials
With Jonathan Winters playing both parts...
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

SewYoung wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:59 pm I have the "Meta Blindness", too. So many thought this one was easy, but I am just not seeing it....
This week's was too easy and I got the HEX cryptic, so the weekend is not a complete bust.
That would be the MGWCC that was too easy. Must remember to proof-read before clicking "Submit".
Colin

Post by Colin »

Dow Jones wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:58 pm After almost 3 days of "meta blindness", I believe I have solved this "easy" puzzle. I will enjoy a Harvey Wallbanger this evening.
Ahhh, memories! Years ago, my son and I played pool late one night against locals in a Jamaica bar. I started winning, but my Harvey Wallbanger seemed to be bottomless. The locals were very friendly and generous. Eventually, I lost my shirt... and my son’s shirt too. He still likes to remind me (and my friends) about that night.
Moral of the story: Never drink Harvey Wallbangers while playing pool in Jamaica!
One world. One planet. One future.
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Zac, Lisa and aunt Norma all safely ashore. Happy new year everyone!
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Unfortunately I’m one of the few left on ship.
Oh well, happy new year to all!!