"Past and Present" - December 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Crest

Post by Crest »

Safely ashore! People in Nashville and surrounding area who have AT&T as their server may not be able to post. Service is being restored slowly and is very intermittent.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Made it to shore on Wednesday, but think I forgot to post.
Horsesense
Location: Sometimes Michigan, Sometimes Texas, but Maine at Heart

Post by Horsesense »

Ashore. No nudge.
ADS

Post by ADS »

I’m ashore. Happy holidays everyone!
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

We used to call it "Jackson Hole."
collegecrossworders

Post by collegecrossworders »

hey everyone! we're a group of college students that tries our hand at the contest every week! we haven't had much luck recently, but we're working on this week's meta now! just wanted to introduce ourselves!

- college xworders
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

Ashore! Merry Christmas to all!
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Made it to shore! Took me a while to figure this one out (despite being a classic Mike puzzle) but I absolutely loved the meta once I had my AHA moment. Merry Christmas all!
It's a coffee table book about coffee tables
collegecrossworders

Post by collegecrossworders »

ashore!! we can feel our toes in the sand!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Jarrod wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:06 pm Ashore! Merry Christmas to all!
DELIGHTED you are here, always glad to welcome new Muggles. You'll find we are an eclectic, and perhaps even odd, conglomerate. But we have fun, help each other and do not judge. This is a good one to get practice on because it is a classic and it is not overly difficult on the scale of puzzles.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

collegecrossworders wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:16 pm ashore!! we can feel our toes in the sand!
I see you catch on quick - we will soon have you punning, describing alcohol preferences (of course in college that would be none naturally), and posting bad jokes!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

collegecrossworders wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:30 pm hey everyone! we're a group of college students that tries our hand at the contest every week! we haven't had much luck recently, but we're working on this week's meta now! just wanted to introduce ourselves!

- college xworders
We are thrilled to have all of you on the Forum! Welcome!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Land ho! I can’t believe it took me so long to find it. It’s the 12 letter word that I guessed, and I solved it in my sleep! Good old subconscious.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Important results! Recent testing shows that the snooze interval on our alarm clock is 7 MINUTES!!!

I meant to try it last week when the meta was about alarms and snoozing, but finally got around to it.

And since the last meta had me thinking about alarms, I reset my WSJ Meta Reminder for these two weeks, so I wouldn’t forget about it coming out on Wednesday. Just a tip for any other meta addicts...
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

New meta on Washington post. 5x5. Solved grid but no meta yet..
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

On shore!

First meta solved on a plane, breathing that clean 42D air.

Merry Christmas!
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

Ashore on Wednesday (definitely a first!) and enjoying a hot buttered rum.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Big Mac wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:05 am
First meta solved on a plane, breathing that clean 42D air.

Mine was "Four Corners" en route to Ft. Myers, Florida, in July 2017, solved with my brother and the poor weary traveler who had the misfortune of sitting next to us.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:39 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:57 pm
DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:11 am

So this guy ends up in court because he had entered a zoo and genetically altered two porpoises to stop the aging process and in effect give them an infinite life span. To get out of the zoo without detection he had to cross through the King of the Jungle exhibit and brought tranquilizer darts to insure the big cats would not wake and harm him. The judge gave him a 25 year sentence and when the man asked "but Judge, what did I do that was so wrong, what are you charging me with????"

The judge answered, "Crossing sedate lions for immortal porpoises of course!"

Dang the set up some of these things need....
While Dr. Tom's punning might be contagious, it seems to have acted as a vaccine for me. I mean, much as I love puns, how could I compete with the master?

Dr. Tom - My kids and fiancée all thank you for the best present of the year!

Is it time for the "Airing of the grievances"? I want to complain about my lost ability to pun. Where's Milt Famie when you need him?
That's me, Jack of all Tirades, Master of Pun....

Actually I do believe we have the cure for what ails you, the DTP Vaccine. No not the Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis one that is so well known, this is the Delirium, Tetany and Percussion one. It causes you to crazily strike a drum whose membrane is stretched way too tight. The desired result is that you eventually snare a pun, now isn't that a fine kettle of fish. Granted some people go bongo before they ever reach the desired endpoint and some scream out Tom, Tom I'm beat! Those people eventually end up in the Tympany Hall, reserved for those who have struck out. Let me know if you want the treatment and I'll put the appropriate cymbal on your chart....
That's pretty bass, as far as puns go. I'd kick the habit. (But then you'd be nun the wiser.)
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

It’s weird you think you’re getting the hang of these a little (at least a 2* rated one), and nothing. Can I poke someone with the lead I’m currently following to see if it’s the right direction. Because if I’m off on the wrong foot, I am having a hard time turning around.

Edit: got my answer, I was headed the wrong direction. Thanks.
Last edited by flamingbear on Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt / Flamingbear