"Past and Present" - December 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Still with Isaac. Going to have time today to work on it.
maprasad

Post by maprasad »

Ashore, but my Mom had already guessed the answer without even looking at the grid!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:11 am
lbray53 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:35 am I just crawled up on shore but only because Dr. Tom recognized my struggles in the surf and private messaged me for the "sole porpoise" of nudging me in the right direction. I was right there early and often but failed to see . . . (I will complete this on Monday if I remember.)

I am on shore but will keep my distance from the celebratory crowd. I am just thankful that Dr. Tom prevented me from becoming a Grinch! It was getting close.

The double pun is for you Dr. Tom!
So this guy ends up in court because he had entered a zoo and genetically altered two porpoises to stop the aging process and in effect give them an infinite life span. To get out of the zoo without detection he had to cross through the King of the Jungle exhibit and brought tranquilizer darts to insure the big cats would not wake and harm him. The judge gave him a 25 year sentence and when the man asked "but Judge, what did I do that was so wrong, what are you charging me with????"

The judge answered, "Crossing sedate lions for immortal porpoises of course!"

Dang the set up some of these things need....
While Dr. Tom's punning might be contagious, it seems to have acted as a vaccine for me. I mean, much as I love puns, how could I compete with the master?

Dr. Tom - My kids and fiancée all thank you for the best present of the year!

Is it time for the "Airing of the grievances"? I want to complain about my lost ability to pun. Where's Milt Famie when you need him?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

EVJ wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:17 pm
flyingMoose wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:02 pm
SewYoung wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:21 pm

Hi LadyBird. I'm there at the bar with you, just haven't had time to post my status. I will look at it again in a little while and see if I can get off the ship.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night.
I’m there with you two. Tamales and chili for me shortly. Perhaps that will help.
Me too! I’ve been there all along as usual. Thank goodness we have the extra day. Yesterday was a whirlwind but today I can redouble my efforts. Good luck to all of us still
ASEA.
I had you in the list but jumped over you in my typing between SteveB and Bird Lives.

sorry about that. The number of ways I can screw up is endless.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Arthur Q. Welles wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:00 pm Ashore! Give me a Guinness.
Another close neighbor. Welcome to the clan. Always great to have more muggles.

I live in Littleton and we have several others in close proximity.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Ann

Post by Ann »

Ashore!
Amanda Hugginkiss

Post by Amanda Hugginkiss »

On shore with a small quibble.
Guy Wyo

Post by Guy Wyo »

In the barn. (no sea in Wyoming)
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Idaho hears you!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:57 pm
DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:11 am
lbray53 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:35 am I just crawled up on shore but only because Dr. Tom recognized my struggles in the surf and private messaged me for the "sole porpoise" of nudging me in the right direction. I was right there early and often but failed to see . . . (I will complete this on Monday if I remember.)

I am on shore but will keep my distance from the celebratory crowd. I am just thankful that Dr. Tom prevented me from becoming a Grinch! It was getting close.

The double pun is for you Dr. Tom!
So this guy ends up in court because he had entered a zoo and genetically altered two porpoises to stop the aging process and in effect give them an infinite life span. To get out of the zoo without detection he had to cross through the King of the Jungle exhibit and brought tranquilizer darts to insure the big cats would not wake and harm him. The judge gave him a 25 year sentence and when the man asked "but Judge, what did I do that was so wrong, what are you charging me with????"

The judge answered, "Crossing sedate lions for immortal porpoises of course!"

Dang the set up some of these things need....
While Dr. Tom's punning might be contagious, it seems to have acted as a vaccine for me. I mean, much as I love puns, how could I compete with the master?

Dr. Tom - My kids and fiancée all thank you for the best present of the year!

Is it time for the "Airing of the grievances"? I want to complain about my lost ability to pun. Where's Milt Famie when you need him?
That's me, Jack of all Tirades, Master of Pun....

Actually I do believe we have the cure for what ails you, the DTP Vaccine. No not the Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis one that is so well known, this is the Delirium, Tetany and Percussion one. It causes you to crazily strike a drum whose membrane is stretched way too tight. The desired result is that you eventually snare a pun, now isn't that a fine kettle of fish. Granted some people go bongo before they ever reach the desired endpoint and some scream out Tom, Tom I'm beat! Those people eventually end up in the Tympany Hall, reserved for those who have struck out. Let me know if you want the treatment and I'll put the appropriate cymbal on your chart....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Late start, but MS-tuner is frequency hopping in the correct sequence. Littoral destination triangulated.
Oooh! Don't think I've seen 13-D before or 48-A. Nice, enjoyed the spread spectrum style. Now where's that Cabernet Sauvignon?
Happy holidays to the Muggle Nation.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

On the shore. Luckily, there is a 4-pack of Guinness in my fridge, but I have to share it with my husband...
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

I’m outta here, Gavin, pour me a Wolf’s Neck.
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Only got to this today due to Christmas festivities, but I solved grid and meta after a cross-country ski along the lake. In spite of 2020 it's been a beautiful white Christmas in Central Ohio. Happy Holidays, all!
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore. Nice puzzle, Mike! Merry Christmas!
Colin

Post by Colin »

It took me this long,
And the end of Christmas songs,
To say: “Ship, so long!”

PS - couldn’t work out how to post a photo of my half-finished Grey Goose martini with olives and gherkins... get the picture?
One world. One planet. One future.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Guy Wyo wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:27 pm In the barn. (no sea in Wyoming)
Anywhere near Jackson where my cousin lives
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Holiday Greetings!
Singing carols on the shore.
Enjoying eggnog :)
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:09 pm
Guy Wyo wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:27 pm In the barn. (no sea in Wyoming)
Anywhere near Jackson where my cousin lives
mine also!
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

Finally ashore with a nudge. Happy holidays to all!