"Past and Present" - December 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
M and M

Post by M and M »

Charming and fun. On shore and hoping everyone else is safe, happy, and ready to celebrate.
M and M

Post by M and M »

Safely on shore and ready to celebrate. Wishing all of you lots of happiness and metas we can solve.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I have made it successfully to shore - a challenge for me being away from my printer...
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I understand there is a modicum of interest in what has befallen me since receiving my first dose of Covid-19 vaccine. Well...

No adverse effects except a sore arm the following day. No allergic reactions, no sudden death, no immediate onset of Covid-19, no morphing into a vampire/werewolf/zombie and surprisingly no interference with any of my electrical devices from the tracking and mind control chip they injected along with the vaccine! I asked if the chip could be programmed to make me more deductive at METAs but was told the chip was having a hard enough time finding any receptive brain cells to attach to. Apparently I am able to block off the old chip....forgive me father for I have punned!

I get my second dose the 8th and, opinion has it that if I were to have any reaction it might be to the second dose since I will already have some antibodies and they are injecting something that, to my immune system, looks like a Covid-19 viron. If it affects my brain then I am entered In Viron Mental Services...again big Ψ!

Happy/Merry/Joyous/Blessed and "Its a Festivus Miracle"
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Grover

Post by Grover »

Joined the huge crowd on shore. Merry Christmas and eggnog for all.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Janet wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:45 pm
Scraps wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:31 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:26 am

It appears that the Dr Tom puns are as contagious as the virus
And there is no vaccine in the pipeline.
I missed the puns! Have you seen the weather forecast? "Rain, dear."
Ah, I love the family gathered around the Festivus pole punning away.

Actually, this subject came up while my wife and I were visiting Moscow. We were to tour the surrounding area the following day but Rudy our guide said that we should change our plans because, in his words, "Tomorrow RAIN"! My wife had her weather app out and contradicted him since the forecast said overcast but no precipitation. We had quite the discussion but eventually I won the argument when I brought up the most salient point:

Rudolph the Red knows rain dear!

Did I have you all sitting on the edge of your sleet? Feel free to Hail my abuse of the language and here's hoping I haven't frosted anyone. I have to get these out because I only do them certain holidays. For instance I do them neither on July Fourth Nor Easter. OK, that's it I'm headed for Tastee-Freeze for a Blizzard of course.

Oh, and you are incorrect, there is something in the pipeline, it's called the Flaw Vaccine.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Okay, I'm ashore! Happy to share a toast with other muggles ashore or afloat! Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

LadyBird wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:38 pm I'm obviously making this harder than it is.

Isaac sends holiday greetings to all the Muggles. I'm the only one here at the bar, nursing a drink and a meta. Since it's just me, I encouraged him to head home and celebrate with his family. I sent him off with a large tip (on Bob's tab, of course). He was nice enough to leave the bar open--even the top shelf stuff!

Maybe I'll find the answer in my stocking!
Hi LadyBird. I'm there at the bar with you, just haven't had time to post my status. I will look at it again in a little while and see if I can get off the ship.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Just logged in and see that there are nine pages of comments....and most are announcements of being safe on shore! I better get busy.

Merry Christmas, to everyone!
Bob Kerfuffle

Post by Bob Kerfuffle »

I have made it to shore, but I am plumb exhausted from the swim! And water temperature had nothing to do with it.

I'm certain the poster of comment #138 knows exactly what I am talking about, but I can't say more until Monday. Meanwhile, I take my margarita without salt only because the doctor says so.
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Grid tougher than the meta for me this week. Ashore.
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

SewYoung wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:21 pm
LadyBird wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:38 pm I'm obviously making this harder than it is.

Isaac sends holiday greetings to all the Muggles. I'm the only one here at the bar, nursing a drink and a meta. Since it's just me, I encouraged him to head home and celebrate with his family. I sent him off with a large tip (on Bob's tab, of course). He was nice enough to leave the bar open--even the top shelf stuff!

Hi LadyBird. I'm there at the bar with you, just haven't had time to post my status. I will look at it again in a little while and see if I can get off the ship.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night.
I’m there with you two. Tamales and chili for me shortly. Perhaps that will help.
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

On shore - nice to have an easy one for the holiday weekend.
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Ashore after one itty bitty rabbit hole! A small Four Roses on a rock please!
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Made it to the beach.

Happy holidays to all.
Jack Sullivan
John77

Post by John77 »

I'm on my second drink on the boat since flying through the grid, with only a faint idea that I know where to start with the meta. At least we get an extra day to figure this out.

Sláinte!
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Merry Christmas Muggles. Ashore.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Visiting family and no working printer here so thank goodness this one wasn’t too hard. Have a wonderful holiday everyone.
LizD

Post by LizD »

EmilyW wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:57 pm On shore and celebrating with a coconut imperial stout called Short Skirt Long Jacket from my local brewery Limitless. Glad to be back on the beach after staying on the boat last weekend.
That is a fantastic name for a beer! Raise your hand if you get the reference and we'll all know what generation you hail from. 🤣
I don't have an inner child... I have an inner old lady. :geek:

Meta solver by night, proud independent bookstore owner by day!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Gift from husband. Also the “Drunk Crosswords book
Gift from husband. Also the “Drunk Crosswords book
Gift from my husband.
Heidi