"In Bed By 9" - December 18, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well here's something interesting. If one looks up "Fibre of the gomuti palm" for the FUN puzzle at the top of the page (and why wouldn't you) from the web you get Answer: DOH!
Well that changes EVERYTHING!
Gomuti.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

blackravenflower wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:55 pm I'm a new puzzler. No idea how to approach these. Would appreciate any help.
The hints listing helps a lot. But I’m also reminded of the joke about how to get to Carnegie Hall. Practice.

When I started I had no idea how to approach these. Then I went back a few months and tried to solve old puzzles. The answers are readily available if you get stuck so you can see the meta mechanism.

After a few practice puzzles you’ll start to catch on. And as time goes on you’ll get better and better. So don’t be discouraged. Almost everyone gets stumped at some point.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

DARN, I got confused on the days and last night at about 8:20 I hit my forehead, said "FIBRE OF THE GOMUTI PALM" and realized I had missed the Muggle Zoom. I am so disappointed because I wanted to wish all of you a Merry Christmas and thank you all for helping me make it through this TERRIBLE year. Without the distraction of METAs and the support, humor and wit of my fellow Muggles I might have struggled through but it would have been with considerably less aplomb.

You have given me encouragement, laughed at my jokes/verses/limericks, groaned at my puns and made fun of me (Oh, and sent me Bourbon!)- there is literally nothing more that a group of friends can do for a person and considering that our relationship is one that is entirely virtual it is even that more remarkable.

So, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Fruitful Kwanzaa, and (since we won't talk until at least the 29th) Happy Boxing Day additionally, for any I may have missed, Happy Holidays! My hope is that 2020 ends with a whimper and 2021 storms back with some vestige of the world we once knew, though a brighter and kinder version would be even better!

Truly from my heart - I love you guys!

DrTom
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

A belated post on this topic:
I had mentioned that I once knew a word that referred to modern tech retaining features of forerunner tech, even though such features were not necessary for functionality (in this case, maintaining a 9-minute snooze interval on a digital alarm clock). I came across the word in reading an article on jalopnik.com so now I remember! It’s skeuomorphism.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeuomorph