Introduce Yourself

Please come in and say hello and tell us something about yourself.
Jaclyn

Post by Jaclyn »

SewYoung wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:25 pm
Jaclyn wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:22 pm I guess I should introduce myself ... Jaclyn, currently (and for any foreseeable future) in rural Eastern Connecticut, originally from Alabama so there's still a drawl. Started doing more crosswords during quarantine, and to keep my brain from turning to mush I've been learning to do both metas and cryptics. I've been reading the boards for a while as part of that, and I finally made an account last week because my son wanted me to submit my response to the Monday puzzle. Don't know if I'll be an active poster, but I'm here!
Whereabouts in Alabama? I was born in and grew up in Birmingham, moved to Bessemer when I married and lived there until the age of 47. Moved to N.C. for three years and now live in Meridian, MS.
I was born in Montgomery, but grew up in Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee. Went back to the University of Alabama for college and then worked there for another 11 years. I've been gone for a decade now, which is really weird to think about.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Hi, I"m John from Woodinville, Wa, escapee from NJ about 12 yrs ago. I would fall into the geek category being in the cellular industry for 30+ years. Love doing puzzles of all types. Started doing the WSJ crossword puzzle about a year ago or so, and got hooked on the Metas. Stumbled across this blog and figured sounds like fun. Seems from reading some of the other intros that I should sign up for MGWCC, casue Fridays meta puzzle doesn't cause me enough pain.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

I'm Ken Mersman; a retired Chemical Engineer who now has time to solve more puzzles. Started solving as a kid when my Grandpa introduced me to the daily JUMBLE in the Houston Post. I currently live in Delaware . Looking forward to the forum.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Hi there. Alan from Colorado. Been doing MGWCC for just over 4 years now (wow), though I still usually struggle with weeks 3-5. Well, more than usually for week 5. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Hi, everyone! I signed in to the Muggles site as Cinny, but on all of the other sites I'm Cindy Heisler. I live in Minoa, NY (which is a suburb of Syracuse) with my husband Rick. We have been doing crosswords for as long as I can remember. I enjoy Rows Gardens, and other sites such as Grant Fikes, Redhead64, but spend most of my solving time doing metas. I don't always solve them without a nudge or two, but I love the challenge!! Thank you to all the constructors who help to keep this old brain going.
Cindy Heisler
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Cinny wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:07 am Hi, everyone! I signed in to the Muggles site as Cinny, but on all of the other sites I'm Cindy Heisler. I live in Minoa, NY (which is a suburb of Syracuse) with my husband Rick. We have been doing crosswords for as long as I can remember. I enjoy Rows Gardens, and other sites such as Grant Fikes, Redhead64, but spend most of my solving time doing metas. I don't always solve them without a nudge or two, but I love the challenge!! Thank you to all the constructors who help to keep this old brain going.
Hello from another Rick and Cindy!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Cinny wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:07 am Hi, everyone! I signed in to the Muggles site as Cinny, but on all of the other sites I'm Cindy Heisler. I live in Minoa, NY (which is a suburb of Syracuse) with my husband Rick. We have been doing crosswords for as long as I can remember. I enjoy Rows Gardens, and other sites such as Grant Fikes, Redhead64, but spend most of my solving time doing metas. I don't always solve them without a nudge or two, but I love the challenge!! Thank you to all the constructors who help to keep this old brain going.
Welcome and hustle over to Utica to see Al Sisti perform.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:13 pm
Welcome and hustle over to Utica to see Al Sisti perform.
Or to Coleman's in Syracuse!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Hi,
I am half of our crossword team and I go by Ali. My husband and myself complete crosswords together and we have just started taking on the Meta WSJ Crossword contests. We have had to look at the answers for many of the ones we have attempted, but we have managed to solve a couple on our own. So glad there are many old ones for us to practice on. Definitely a good way to try to look at things differently.
Happy New Year to everyone!!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

TeamDoubleTow wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:02 pm Hi,
I am half of our crossword team and I go by Ali. My husband and myself complete crosswords together and we have just started taking on the Meta WSJ Crossword contests. We have had to look at the answers for many of the ones we have attempted, but we have managed to solve a couple on our own. So glad there are many old ones for us to practice on. Definitely a good way to try to look at things differently.
Happy New Year to everyone!!
Happy New Year and welcome to the group.

Make sure you look on the puzzle part of the blog under WSJ Crossword Puzzle Contest.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:20 pm Happy New Year and welcome to the group.
Make sure you look on the puzzle part of the blog under WSJ Crossword Puzzle Contest.
Thanks Bob! Looking forward to posting that I think we are on shore for this week's puzzle.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
macman603

Post by macman603 »

I've been doing the WSJ puzzles since they started, but have had trouble figuring out the contest answer until this one. So, now I'm joining this forum to say I got ashore.
Lee (macman603)
khanthedane

Post by khanthedane »

Hi! New to the forum. I had no idea that WSJ had crossword puzzles (much less a contest!) till last week. Stoked to have discovered this forum while doing some research. Nice to meet you all!
DIS

Post by DIS »

Hi, all -
I'm Dan Seidman, and I've been lurking here for a few weeks but finally decided to register. I'm a longtime subscriber to MGWCC and PMXWords, and was happy to find more metas here (and good ones, too!). My favorite puzzle type is variety cryptics. Nice to meet everybody!
Meg

Post by Meg »

DIS wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:07 pm Hi, all -
I'm Dan Seidman, and I've been lurking here for a few weeks but finally decided to register. I'm a longtime subscriber to MGWCC and PMXWords, and was happy to find more metas here (and good ones, too!). My favorite puzzle type is variety cryptics. Nice to meet everybody!
Welcome! You have probably found the section of this forum devoted to cryptics. We are a small subset of solvers, but fearless!
-Meg
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
OffAndRunning

Post by OffAndRunning »

Hi All!
I'm Jim from Cleveland, OH. I've been working on the WSJ puzzles for a couple years now and love the weekly contest. I'm a lifelong Ohioan (Go Bucks!) and have been a part-time cruciverbalist since my dad took the time to sit with me and explain all the weird words that would pop up while we did puzzles. I've made it ashore a handful of times and loved the camaraderie in the the comments. Happy to meet you all!
Boochie

Post by Boochie »

Boochie' here. I like crossword puzzles. :)
matty_p

Post by matty_p »

Hi! I'm a lifelong crossword solver, but am just now getting into the metas. Any pointers/hints for how to solve are appreciated! I live in Seattle with my husband and our three recently-rescued kittens (names pending). :)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

matty_p wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:46 pm Hi! I'm a lifelong crossword solver, but am just now getting into the metas. Any pointers/hints for how to solve are appreciated! I live in Seattle with my husband and our three recently-rescued kittens (names pending). :)
Welcome!

FAQs - Community / Solving Resources
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

matty_p wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:46 pm Hi! I'm a lifelong crossword solver, but am just now getting into the metas. Any pointers/hints for how to solve are appreciated! I live in Seattle with my husband and our three recently-rescued kittens (names pending). :)
Hi matty_p and welcome!
My daughter moved from here in MA out to Seattle for a new job last February, about 2 weeks before everything went off the rails! (But she and her job are secure, fortunately.) I'm very much looking forward to when we can get out there to visit her and the area.....eventually! :D