"Risky Business" - December 11, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Grover

Post by Grover »

Can't see shore from here. I feel like I am living in that horrible movie "Waterworld."
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

Haven't started yet, I lost my link that let me download .puz version of the contest puzzle. Would someone be kind enough to provide that for me again? none of my google skills are working. Please and thank you.

EDIT, thanks, I found it.
Last edited by flamingbear on Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matt / Flamingbear
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

Definitely spending a ot of time with Isaac this week.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, MGWCC was pretty simple - fun but simple - so now all hands on deck for this one. Unfortunately with my hands on the deck I am probably ripe for what will befall me! Same precarious position as when you put your nose to the grindstone (ouch!) and your ear to the ground. Maybe I'll just bury my head in the sand because there is something in the way EMUved me (ouch, that one even hurt me!).
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

CPJohnson wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:14 pm Haven't read the blog, but I am on the boat, sitting all alone in the back booth, staring at the grid.
Why don’t you pull up a stool and join the rest of us at the bar with Isaac? We may not get the meta ultimately, but you can’t beat the kibbitzing and comaraderie. Your first libation is on the house too!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:25 pm OK, MGWCC was pretty simple - fun but simple - so now all hands on deck for this one. Unfortunately with my hands on the deck I am probably ripe for what will befall me! Same precarious position as when you put your nose to the grindstone (ouch!) and your ear to the ground. Maybe I'll just bury my head in the sand because there is something in the way EMUved me (ouch, that one even hurt me!).
All hands on deck? I can deal with that.

May I just say, I love a bad pun as much as the next guy...

...but only when I'm the one making them. "EMUved" on the other hand... You'll 'roo the day you used that Australian animal in a pun.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

HunterX wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:44 pm
DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:25 pm OK, MGWCC was pretty simple - fun but simple - so now all hands on deck for this one. Unfortunately with my hands on the deck I am probably ripe for what will befall me! Same precarious position as when you put your nose to the grindstone (ouch!) and your ear to the ground. Maybe I'll just bury my head in the sand because there is something in the way EMUved me (ouch, that one even hurt me!).

...but only when I'm the one making them. "EMUved" on the other hand... You'll 'roo the day you used that Australian animal in a pun.
Oh Lordy! Now there's two of them...
stmv

Post by stmv »

I am finally on shore. I spent way too long staring at this and getting nowhere, and then thinking that there was something to try but somehow never really trying it, then I tried it and it magically worked. I should trust my instincts better....
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Kiwi keep these puns to a minimum please???
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Nice and easy on a drizzly Saturday. Ashore!
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Lots of rabbit holes but finally on shore. Make it a Manhattan with Maker’s Mark.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

SewYoung wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:55 pm

Oh Lordy! Now there's two of them...
Okay, okay. As the new guy in town, I cede the realm of puns to Dr. Tom.
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

Still on the ship. May go to the Lido deck later where there's a double feature - Clueless and Castaway.
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

Ashore. Glad to be on a 19A of four weeks; it had been a bumblin' stumblin' kind of summer and early fall. I have a funny rabbit hole to share at the appropriate time.

Take care - good health and happy solving,
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

Still nothing here. I would be grateful for a nudge if anyone is willing to help <3
KscX

Post by KscX »

Boat. Boat boat boat. When you have a streak, then are clueless, it just makes you feel entitled to solve!!! I’m keeping on....
Hector

Post by Hector »

I'm an ex-muggle, because I can't even with the WSJ.
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

Ashore. Had a hard time with the grid but the first thing I tried for the meta worked!
Sara Dacus

Post by Sara Dacus »

I believe I have figured out step one but am unsure if I am working with everything I need and am not sure what to do next. I would love to tell someone what I am doing to make sure I am on the right path. Thank you in advance!
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

I am on shore thanks to some friendly nudgers :) thanks, pals