"Risky Business" - December 11, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

HunterX wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:58 am
MMac wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:42 pm Ashore. Even more impressed than usual by the construction. This is hard enough to solve but to retrace the steps Mike Shenk must have gone through to create it - keeping within all the norms of symmetry, balance, reasonable cluing, moderate difficulty, avoiding the obscure - I just don't see how they do it. Hats off.

Further, it's funny how a puzzle seems easy when one of your first rabbits is the right one. The right path always seems obvious in hindsight, but when you're lost it just looks impossible. I'd like to see a graph of how the rated difficulty climbs from Thursday to Sunday!
I'd be interested in that graph too. I keep a (Warning: Geek Alert - Continue reading at your own risk) spreadsheet of all the weekly meta puzzles I've done with various stats and calculations, one of which is the Muggle difficulty rating. Clearly those who solve quickly (I'm looking at you Al Sisti) log on to indicate they are done and rate the meta, which, obviously they found easy. So it usually starts at 1. When I first looked Friday evening, it was 1.5. This morning it was 2. Now it's 2.5. (And I revise the spreadsheet yet again.) I wonder if those who don't solve it don't rate it, thus resulting in a bias towards a lower rating.

Okay, I need to stop drinking coffee and go for a walk or something.
Welcome to the muggle nerd club. Entry is a spreadsheet of something related to either your performance or the group performance. Membership is growing - and we have a lot of closet members.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Bob, look for me on a bar stool. Not a clue yet.

Looks like it would have been risky business to go for a walk in the field that day. Hope it’s not a spoiler.
F211CC9B-F37D-4D3E-9687-7DA097222115.jpeg
August 2010 photo
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:25 am
HunterX wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:58 am
MMac wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:42 pm ...

...I'd like to see a graph of how the rated difficulty climbs from Thursday to Sunday!
I'd be interested in that graph too. I keep a (Warning: Geek Alert - Continue reading at your own risk) spreadsheet of all the weekly meta puzzles I've done with various stats and calculations, one of which is the Muggle difficulty rating. ...
Welcome to the muggle nerd club. Entry is a spreadsheet of something related to either your performance or the group performance. Membership is growing - and we have a lot of closet members.
Is there an online guide outlining the club's rules and practices? I need to know how many decimal places to use in the pivot table that calculates my success rate percentage for each puzzle creator by construction mechanism category.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I'm still way out to sea. No sign of land.
KayW

Post by KayW »

escapeartist wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:39 am I initially had a quick solve to the Meta that was messy and inelegant but is totally related to this lovely year we call 2020, and by the rules this wrong solution is a very precarious thing to do.

Because it was messy, it clearly was not the right path.

Wondering if this answer makes it into the submissions?
I hope you'll elaborate on Monday!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

MaineMarge wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:31 am Bob, look for me on a bar stool. Not a clue yet.

Looks like it would have been risky business to go for a walk in the field that day. Hope it’s not a spoiler.
F211CC9B-F37D-4D3E-9687-7DA097222115.jpeg
August 2010 photo
Marge, your garden photos are always so amazing! Thank you for sharing!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Ashore! I love the elegance and wit in this construction.
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Thought grid was tough. Not seeing meta yet. I’m learning some new mixology tricks from Isaac for the holidays.
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Done with the grid - tougher than usual. Now on to the meta. Lots of staring going on currently but a few ideas starting to emerge.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Saturday morning muggles

First welcome to Bob Kerfuffle as our newest muggle

an interesting puzzle from Mike. Some are finding the grid easy and some are finding it very hard. Some are finding the meta easy and some are finding it very hard. And it is some of both the rookies and veterans in each group. The result is that we have 16 on the ship and 89 on the shore.

And we had some late entries so the total is now 19 on the ship and 90 on the shore

On the ship are
JRS51
JoePickett
SewYoung
Heidi - and her sick dog
Tom Wi
Mike H
flyingMoose
Flananigans
AnswerPFinder
EVJ
Commodore
Moi
Tom S
ImOnToo
JeanneC
MaineMarge - and is that the flyingMoose in your backyard?
Mwickham
copperriver
and RDaleHall

On the shore are
Al - in close to record time
Wendy
kay
Beth A
Beth T
Beth C
Les
Dannyvee
Jace54
joequavis
Abide
MikeM000
joe
Scott M
Rpardoe
Bob Kerfuffle
hector
amanda Hugginkiss
Laura
Eric P
Homer
tim1217
Andrew B
anita
spotter
meg
Cindy
ladybird
streroto
FKelly
Barbara K
scraps
sharkicicles
Josh
ky-mike
C=64
oldjudge
Tmart
boharr
sanmilton
Omnibus
Tina
damefox
Peter L
Cosmo
hunkra
dudeski
kdubs
Joe R
LittleGood
Toby
Dow Jones
Frank
escapeartist
edot
LizD
MajordomoTom
Rita and George
John B
MatthewB
Glyn
eagle1279
gman
DBMiller
paige11
Softie
dplass
Blair
susieG
dk letter
mattythewsjpuzzler
Mary F
JAQT
cbarbee002
madhatter5
wb93
Jaclyn
CallMeShane
Mmac
arlecchino
Orsys
eric h
fstadler
Ed S
HunterX
Cindy N
Olof
ErikThor
Janet P
and Debbie

A couple have asked if I have been posting the link to here on the WSJ comments page. The same message gets sent in first thing every week. Sometimes it gets posted. Sometimes it gets posted along the way and shows up as the #1 post. Sometimes it does not get posted at all. It has been posited that the problem is that it has a link to another web site but who knows?

And if you missed it before, the contest will happen both the week of Christmas and the week of New Years since both are on Fridays. It will come out on line at the "regular" time on Thursday. I don't know if it will show up in the Saturday print edition or not.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:24 pm Thank goodness I saw this one quickly!
BTW, on our Tuesday call I mentioned what a fun time Mark and I had doing a Zoom scavenger hunt and suggested that others might want to try this with their families. Here are the details (on my blog):
https://unionvilleinthenews.blogspot.co ... -zoom.html
Wendy, This is so great! I am going to use this for an office holiday party on Monday. Thank you!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Haven't read the blog, but I am on the boat, sitting all alone in the back booth, staring at the grid.
Cynthia
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I am most decidedly on the ship.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Ashore. I see I just missed Bob's report...
I have to get back to frying latkes - happy Chanuka all!
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

After a few successful weeks, I'm sitting on a barstool eating peanuts and knocking back mai tais. Is anyone willing to give me a nudge if I promise not to submit?
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

I finished the grid but no luck on the meta yet. Hopefully my aha moment will come soon!
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

I had to wait for the actual paper since my online solving kept disappearing.
ASHORE!
burak

Post by burak »

I'm at the worst place possible when solving a meta: I have an idea that partially works. Do I keep trying to fit that glove, or do I just give up? On the other hand, even if I consciously give up I won't be able to rest easy. Hopefully the answer will come to me before it's too late!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

On shore with some pain and suffering
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:23 am
Janet P wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:13 am Made it to the shore
In time for Bob's noon report!
Back to my laundry...
Just for clarification (and my ego), is my report more or less important than your laundry?
My laundry can wait
'Til after I see my name
On Bob's noon report!