"Connect Four" - December 4, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

I am very frustrated...especially after reading all the comments about how easy this one is! I was on a streak and am afraid it will come to an end this week if the answer doesn't pop out at me soon!
Meg

Post by Meg »

rosiegirl wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:15 pm I am very frustrated...especially after reading all the comments about how easy this one is! I was on a streak and am afraid it will come to an end this week if the answer doesn't pop out at me soon!
Rosie,
I did NOT say it was easy! I’ve been solving metas for a loooong time and I just couldn’t see what to do. Until I got a nudge. PM me if you’d like a nudge.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

rosiegirl wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:15 pm I am very frustrated...especially after reading all the comments about how easy this one is! I was on a streak and am afraid it will come to an end this week if the answer doesn't pop out at me soon!
rosie
send me (or anyone else) a private message telling me what you have done, the rabbit holes you have gone down and where your frustration is and we will see if you need a minor course correction.

And as Meg said, many of us have been doing these things for years. There is a long learning curve

And it is only Saturday
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Ann

Post by Ann »

Made it to shore!
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

On shore!!!
Eguinan

Post by Eguinan »

On the beach. Enjoyed the swim. Oyster roast and backyard showing of Trading Places tonight.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore. Quick swim, for me anyway.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

On shore. After being MIA for awhile, glad to come back with a successful swim to the beach!
Scott Lindholm

Post by Scott Lindholm »

F-I-N-A-L-L-Y on the beach after a long, long time out at sea. I was starting to lose hope over the last month or so of puzzles, and reading the solutions rarely gave me much solace that I would ever again reach dry land. But, alas, after almost giving up for yet another week, I saw it in a burst of insight. It's a Festivus miracle!
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Ashore for the first time in a long time. Had about given up on these endeavors. Makers, please.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I feel exactly the same way! As Bob (cruise director) says, the problem here is that many of us have been doing this for at least a year. I HATE it when someone says, "Oh sooooo easy" because I often don't see the easy (this time was an exception). NEVER feel bad about asking for nudges, I have given and had plenty and NEVER feel bad about either action. This is for fun because at most you can win a mug (that really has to do more with luck of the draw than skill) but at best you get to participate on what I think might be the kindest, nicest, smartest, funniest blog on the internet.

People WANT to help, they WANT you to solve, they WANT you to enjoy. If Mother Teresa had had a blog she participated in I am almost certain it would have been this one. You can ask anything, post anything (rules of decency allowing of course)), discuss anything and you'll get a measured, insightful and non-threatening response.

Easy is in the eyes of the solver, but even if you don't get it, the (cue Annie) sun will come up tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar!

I know you've been offered a nudge, but if that is not enough I'll offer the second!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Scott Lindholm wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:45 pm F-I-N-A-L-L-Y on the beach after a long, long time out at sea. I was starting to lose hope over the last month or so of puzzles, and reading the solutions rarely gave me much solace that I would ever again reach dry land. But, alas, after almost giving up for yet another week, I saw it in a burst of insight. It's a Festivus miracle!
Festivus for the rest of us! Break out the pole!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Inca

Post by Inca »

Is there anywhere that I can solve the Saturday Cryptics on my computer? I'm no expert at cryptics but enjoy doing them; I enjoy the mini aha for each clue that I solve. But, since I have no printer now, I can't even try.
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

Inca wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:14 pm Is there anywhere that I can solve the Saturday Cryptics on my computer? I'm no expert at cryptics but enjoy doing them; I enjoy the mini aha for each clue that I solve. But, since I have no printer now, I can't even try.
I haven’t found a place to solve them in an ‘app’ - but I do download the PDF and solve from there. Hope that helps. This week is a wonderful puzzle.
KscX

Post by KscX »

Eguinan wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:23 pm On the beach. Enjoyed the swim. Oyster roast and backyard showing of Trading Places tonight.
For real, Trading Places? We watched it again with our kids in the last 10 years. It really held up! A great movie.
KscX

Post by KscX »

DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:07 pm
People WANT to help, they WANT you to solve, they WANT you to enjoy. If Mother Teresa had had a blog she participated in I am almost certain it would have been this one.
This is an excellent community. Good for fellowship and puzzle-solving growth! I’ve been here seven months or so, and after weeks and weeks of nudges as needed, I’m on my longest independent solve streak. Stick with it and see where it takes you. You’ve got nothing to lose. 🙂
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

On shore with a celebratory Donut Stout by Martin City Brewing Company.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

KscX wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:59 pm
Eguinan wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:23 pm On the beach. Enjoyed the swim. Oyster roast and backyard showing of Trading Places tonight.
For real, Trading Places? We watched it again with our kids in the last 10 years. It really held up! A great movie.
Love that movie. I watch it whenever I run across it. "Looking good, Billy Ray." Feeling good, Louis!"
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:08 pm
Scott Lindholm wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:45 pm F-I-N-A-L-L-Y on the beach after a long, long time out at sea. I was starting to lose hope over the last month or so of puzzles, and reading the solutions rarely gave me much solace that I would ever again reach dry land. But, alas, after almost giving up for yet another week, I saw it in a burst of insight. It's a Festivus miracle!
Festivus for the rest of us! Break out the pole!
Is it time for "The Airing of Grievances"? That's my favorite part. (jk)

And Dr. Tom, if you're suggesting you're going to do a pole dance, that may be my first grievance. :lol:
ADS

Post by ADS »

I’m ashore. Didn’t have a chance to look at the puzzle until tonight, but once the grid was done, the meta was pretty quick. I liked this one.