"Connect Four" - December 4, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Powers2020 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:15 pm
mikeh wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:40 am Hello shore!
Question, now that I've done a few of these: I know that I email in the answer per the specs they provide. I haven't gotten an automated email back or anything. I assume that I don't hear anything unless I win, and I just trust that my submission was received?
Question for you veteran muggles out there: Is there any point in submitting the answer via the link on the puzzle page or is just sending the email with the answer in the subject line sufficient? Thanks!
I've tried it both ways over the years. Sadly there's no confirmation either way, but I can OCD check my SENT mail folder early and often to assure myself I DID submit. You'll never convince me all my emails haven't been going to some cyberspace dead-letter bin!

One advantage to sending via email, if you are a hoarder like me and never purge your sent folder, is that you can double-check your historical (or hysterical?) submissions. So I now regret my early experiments with the puzzle page submissions.

But I'd be curious to hear from those who HAVE won a mug: whether they submitted via e-mail or puzzle page?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Big tip for Isaac.
Socially distanced on shore!
Martini in hand 🍸
Grover

Post by Grover »

On shore. I think it was a bit more difficult that last week. Maybe 1.25 stars.
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Ashore - really enjoyed the construction on this. I was suspecting we would all have to pay now for the last two weeks with a hard meta workout, but Matt may be saving that one for our Christmas present!
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

KayW wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:32 pm
Powers2020 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:15 pm
mikeh wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:40 am Hello shore!
Question, now that I've done a few of these: I know that I email in the answer per the specs they provide. I haven't gotten an automated email back or anything. I assume that I don't hear anything unless I win, and I just trust that my submission was received?
Question for you veteran muggles out there: Is there any point in submitting the answer via the link on the puzzle page or is just sending the email with the answer in the subject line sufficient? Thanks!
I've tried it both ways over the years. Sadly there's no confirmation either way, but I can OCD check my SENT mail folder early and often to assure myself I DID submit. You'll never convince me all my emails haven't been going to some cyberspace dead-letter bin!

One advantage to sending via email, if you are a hoarder like me and never purge your sent folder, is that you can double-check your historical (or hysterical?) submissions. So I now regret my early experiments with the puzzle page submissions.

But I'd be curious to hear from those who HAVE won a mug: whether they submitted via e-mail or puzzle page?
I only ever sent in solutions from my own email address. Initially I just put the solution in the subject window. Occasionally I would also put it in the body of the email, especially if I had a comment I wanted to make. I know that Mike Miller reads these, because he quoted something I put in the email once! Anyway, I was lucky enough earlier this year (seems like ages ago now) to get an email from WSJ saying I had won the mug! Even if they don't hear from you right away, they are not going to give it to someone else, unless a day or two goes by without you getting in touch with them, I imagine.
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

Ashore. The easy swim to the beach continues.
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

Count me on shore.
Matt / Flamingbear
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

flamingbear wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:02 pm Count me on shore.
One bear on the shore. What kind of beer do bears drink?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are on shore - breeze blowing so no masks and toes up! She did all the rowing this week and I was the load cheering her on.

Luck to all - China time!
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:16 pm
Grizzly Beer? (SORRY!) :lol:
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

FrankH wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:49 pm
Mister Squawk wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:31 am
Math is not my strong suit, but if we assume that the typical puzzle yields 1000 correct entries, you would need to submit the correct answer about 500 times in order to have a 99% chance of winning at least once. 250 correct entries (5 years) would give you a 75% chance.

And like others, I was taken aback by the meta answer. I'm quite sure the The Wall Street Journal Guide to Business Style and Usage would frown on it, although since the text doesn't appear in the paper, it's unlikely that any editor would flag it.
Given your assumption, the chance of winning each time is .1%. You have to submit 4603 times to get a 99% chance, and 693 submissions to get 50% chance.
That is far too complicated for me to follow on a Friday night. However, it did bring to mind Mark Twain's quote about statistics, which gave me a chuckle. I figure I have a snowball's chance across the Styx every week, same as when I buy a powerball ticket when I get fuel. Capturing either would be a pleasant shock.

Now on to martinis. I see the line at the tiki bar is around the island a couple of times. I guess I'll just have to rough it and mix them myself.
Rufus T. Firefly
Hector

Post by Hector »

Rainier, as it turns out.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I’m on the shore!
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Safely ashore with a Grey Goose Martini. I think this one is more difficult than one star. 🥴
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

On the shore. Quick and painless.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Powers2020 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:42 pm
Sounds like a Dr Tom response 😄
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

On shore. Not so painful this time
KscX

Post by KscX »

Ashore. Harder than a one star for me. 2.5/5. Easier grid this week, and I actually got to dig in to a few paths before the A-HA! moment. So, back to catching up on NYT crosswords this weekend, among other things. Prosecco!
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

On shore after a nice pick-up and swim. Saw what was going on and went straight to the pieces needed to get on the sand.

Fairhope "I Drink Therefore I Amber" in hand to celebrate the beach, literally and figuratively. Enjoy!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Powers2020 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:42 pm
DrTom is jealous of your pun
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director