Introduce Yourself

Please come in and say hello and tell us something about yourself.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

LizD wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:47 pm It's me, LizD! :D

Many moons ago I was a weekly muggle contributor. Then I bought a used bookstore and all my time and energy for crosswords went poof.

Today, I found myself jonesing for a meta crossword, and that's all it took. I'm back among my friends on muggle island. Have missed this crowd. Looking forward to reconnecting!
Where do you get your used books? and do you sell them on line. I get most of my books used and on line through amazon. How do you stay in business selling books for under $10?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
LizD

Post by LizD »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:24 am

Many moons ago I was a weekly muggle contributor. Then I bought a used bookstore and all my time and energy for crosswords went poof.

Today, I found myself jonesing for a meta crossword, and that's all it took. I'm back among my friends on muggle island. Have missed this crowd. Looking forward to reconnecting!
Where do you get your used books? and do you sell them on line. I get most of my books used and on line through amazon. How do you stay in business selling books for under $10?
Hi Bob! Thanks for asking!
I get most of my books from my trade-in program; Pre-covid I would go to book sales and yard sales to bulk up my inventory. But I honestly don't have any shortage of books just from my customers doing trade-in (I have about 40,000 books right now).

I do sell online on a site that is specifically for independent used bookstores. You can find my inventory at https://www.biblio.com/bookstore/a-nov ... e-franklin, and there are lots of used booksellers on this site. I recommend using it instead of Amazon, because Amazon is the "big bad" for booksellers. They are putting us out of business left and right, and Jeff Bezos doesn't need any more money. :P

Because I deal in used books, my profit margin is a bit higher than for a store that only sells new books. Their profit margin is VERY small. My observation is that it is easier out there for used booksellers than new booksellers. I often order new books for my customers and make very little profit on it. I do it mainly as a service so that folks will stay away from the big A. ;)

I am happy to talk books and bookselling any time! I love it!
I don't have an inner child... I have an inner old lady. :geek:

Meta solver by night, proud independent bookstore owner by day!
jcbweaver

Post by jcbweaver »

Hello everyone - John Weaver here - I'm 60 yrs. old, and live with my wife in Quarryville, PA, where I have been practicing as a horse vet for 30 yrs. - I have been solving puzzles since about the age of 10, when I used to do the NY Times Sunday puzzle with my grandfather every week - I mostly do the Times puzzle every day, cryptics from the Times, WSJ, and Games mag. (I love Bob Stigger's puzzles, and miss the forum he used to be a part of) - I started doing the WSJ and Gaffney contest puzzles recently - I love them, though I'm a little surprised I stuck with them considering my high rate of failure for the first month or so - I still want to do a victory dance every time I solve one - I am so grateful for the amazing work constructors do - puzzles are a huge joy in my life!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

LizD wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:49 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:24 am

Hi Bob! Thanks for asking!
I get most of my books from my trade-in program; Pre-covid I would go to book sales and yard sales to bulk up my inventory. But I honestly don't have any shortage of books just from my customers doing trade-in (I have about 40,000 books right now).

I do sell online on a site that is specifically for independent used bookstores. You can find my inventory at https://www.biblio.com/bookstore/a-nov ... e-franklin, and there are lots of used booksellers on this site. I recommend using it instead of Amazon, because Amazon is the "big bad" for booksellers. They are putting us out of business left and right, and Jeff Bezos doesn't need any more money. :P

Because I deal in used books, my profit margin is a bit higher than for a store that only sells new books. Their profit margin is VERY small. My observation is that it is easier out there for used booksellers than new booksellers. I often order new books for my customers and make very little profit on it. I do it mainly as a service so that folks will stay away from the big A. ;)

I am happy to talk books and bookselling any time! I love it!
Liz
Thanks. I am almost totally into nonfiction of one form or another. I am currently reading The Invention of Clouds by Richard Hamblyn. Behind that I have The Prefect Weapon by David E Sanger which is about cyberterrorism. I am taking a course at the University of Mass at Lowell through a group called Learning In Retirement Association. We used to meet in person but now are fully on line with Zoom. And because I get the WSJ in paper, I get an ebook a month through Glose. I can select one of four books and this month's selection is The Book of Eels by Patrik Svensson.

I have bookmarked your site page so I can refer to it as I work my way through the pile I have going.

Thanks and welcome back to the group.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
mikeh

Post by mikeh »

Hi everyone. My name's Mike. I love the WSJ variety puzzles (they keep me much more engaged than standard crosswords these days), and I found out about this contest a few weeks ago. This week I finally came ashore (?), so I figure I'm in deep now and I should join the community!
Olof

Post by Olof »

I'm Olof. Started doing the WSJ puzzle in July. Found this forum two weeks ago when stumped on "just a step more". I do the puzzles using the Black Ink app.
morningjoe

Post by morningjoe »

I'm John. Just start doing crosswords last week, never been part of a forum, but followed links to here.
Squirrely718

Post by Squirrely718 »

Hi everyone, I'm Sophia. I'm a college freshman who's started doing crosswords to keep sane in the era of Zoom classes. Not sure if it's working.
Last edited by Squirrely718 on Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Squirrely718 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:40 pm Hi everyone, I'm Sophia. I'm a college freshman who's started doing crosswords to keep me sane in the era of Zoom classes. Not sure if it's working.
If it doesn't work, you should fit right in with the rest of us. Welcome to the group. If you are not completely "Zoomed Out" you can meet some of us "face to face" on Tuesday evening at 7:30 eastern time. Link found under Come Aboard heading above as YourPalSal's Muggle Meetup - Zoom Tuesday Evenings
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

morningjoe wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:55 am I'm John. Just start doing crosswords last week, never been part of a forum, but followed links to here.
Hi John. Welcome to the group. See reply to Sophia.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

morningjoe wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:55 am I'm John. Just start doing crosswords last week, never been part of a forum, but followed links to here.
Welcome to the group. If there are any questions, please feel free to ask. Great to have more interest in these.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Squirrely718 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:40 pm Hi everyone, I'm Sophia. I'm a college freshman who's started doing crosswords to keep me sane in the era of Zoom classes. Not sure if it's working.
Sophia
welcome to the group. What school are you attending? We are always thrilled to have new muggles, especially younger ones. Feel free to ask any questions either in a private message or on line.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

By the way, I don't officially declare you as a muggle until you claim to be on the ship or shore the first time. You have to go to the page of this week's contest or I won't find you.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Also I don't declare you an official muggle until you announce that you are either on the ship or shore the first time in one of the contests.

Good luck
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Squirrely718

Post by Squirrely718 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:51 pm
Sophia
welcome to the group. What school are you attending? We are always thrilled to have new muggles, especially younger ones. Feel free to ask any questions either in a private message or on line.
Hi, Bob- thanks for the welcome. I attend the same uni. that Mike Shenk of WSJ did (9 letters) :)
Glad to be here!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Squirrely718 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:45 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:51 pm
Sophia
Hi, Bob- thanks for the welcome. I attend the same uni. that Mike Shenk of WSJ did (9 letters) :)
Glad to be here!
I have many friends who went to Penn State also
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Hector

Post by Hector »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:20 pm I have many friends who went to Penn State also
One of my three favorite nieces is currently there.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Hi all - - Chris here, hailing from Media, PA (well, lived a number of places, but ended up here 24 years ago). Joined this forum in April of this year, having completed the WSJ daily puzzle for years, but for some strange reason never attempted to solve the meta's, as I was totally unfamiliar with them. Fortunately, in April, I gave it a go (I don't think I solved one for the first month), and now I'm hooked. Got lots of encouragement from fellow muggles along the way who said to stick with it, and in fact my solve rate has increased each month since the beginning - - experience does in fact help it turns out! Signed on to the MGWCC a few months back, and now just discovered MMM (duh). Better than the AHA moments from solving the puzzles is the camaraderie and witty back and forth of this group. Always looked forward to Fridays when working, now it's Thursdays! Best to all.
Jaclyn

Post by Jaclyn »

I guess I should introduce myself ... Jaclyn, currently (and for any foreseeable future) in rural Eastern Connecticut, originally from Alabama so there's still a drawl. Started doing more crosswords during quarantine, and to keep my brain from turning to mush I've been learning to do both metas and cryptics. I've been reading the boards for a while as part of that, and I finally made an account last week because my son wanted me to submit my response to the Monday puzzle. Don't know if I'll be an active poster, but I'm here!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Jaclyn wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:22 pm I guess I should introduce myself ... Jaclyn, currently (and for any foreseeable future) in rural Eastern Connecticut, originally from Alabama so there's still a drawl. Started doing more crosswords during quarantine, and to keep my brain from turning to mush I've been learning to do both metas and cryptics. I've been reading the boards for a while as part of that, and I finally made an account last week because my son wanted me to submit my response to the Monday puzzle. Don't know if I'll be an active poster, but I'm here!
Whereabouts in Alabama? I was born in and grew up in Birmingham, moved to Bessemer when I married and lived there until the age of 47. Moved to N.C. for three years and now live in Meridian, MS.