"Two by Two" - November 27, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

I got AYE-AYE too and I still like it at least as well as SALAMANDER
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I see that Isaac is back to his regular pandemic pose. Seeing his picture at the top of the page got me thinking:

Does Ted Lange, the actor who played Isaac, know about his role here on our muggle forum?
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:45 am So no-one liked "Eye of newt"?
Oh, I batted it around on the wing, but I kept getting this pricking feeling in my thumbs so I knew it was something wicked.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

LadyBird wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:32 am I see that Isaac is back to his regular pandemic pose. Seeing his picture at the top of the page got me thinking:

Does Ted Lange, the actor who played Isaac, know about his role here on our muggle forum?
I suppose we could let him know........ but might we run the risk of owing a mint in royalties?! :D
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Rob A wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:19 am Did anyone else get Aye Aye (pronounced eye eye) for the answer? Five words in the grid had a double I, seemed like a logical solution, maybe it was just me.
I'd like to thank Rob A ----while many of us probably saw his initial post and thought novice who doesn't follow directions, I loved how wrong that proved to be! We have expanded our knowledge of zoology, had a great stream of entertaining comments (and an adorable picture!) and even a mention from Mike M. And once again it goes to show that those who "don't follow the rules" (and of course there are no rules for metas anyway! :D ) are often the way-before-their-time visionary folks!
Welcome Rob A, and I hope you'll continue to post!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Not sure where to post this, but I thought the most "bird people" would see it here.

This guy landed in a tree in my front yard just now.
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 1.36.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 1.36.21 PM.png
Red Tailed Hawk, I think? Although I didn't see his tail. I think those are common around here (SW Connecticut). I've seen them a few miles north of here where it gets more wooded and sparsely populated. But I don't think I've ever seen one in town, certainly not in my front yard. I was really hoping I would get to see him scoop up one of the chipmunks digging under my front porch, but no luck. He just hung out a couple minutes and then took off. I hope he comes back. Lot's of good food for him here!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

BrianMac wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:42 pm Not sure where to post this, but I thought the most "bird people" would see it here.

Red Tailed Hawk, I think? Although I didn't see his tail. I think those are common around here (SW Connecticut). I've seen them a few miles north of here where it gets more wooded and sparsely populated. But I don't think I've ever seen one in town, certainly not in my front yard. I was really hoping I would get to see him scoop up one of the chipmunks digging under my front porch, but no luck. He just hung out a couple minutes and then took off. I hope he comes back. Lot's of good food for him here!
I agree. We had anywhere from 2 to 8 of them around my house this summer... every day, every morning, loud and landing on fences, gates, and seemingly not afraid of us. And as quickly as they came, they were kind. I named the first two Ethan and Youngblood.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

The streaky chest doesn't look like a Red-tailed Hawk, but perhaps it is a juvenile (I'm not very good at juvenile birds). Another common neighborhood hawk (they like feeders) are Cooper's Hawks. They are smaller though--about the size of a crow.

I wish that we would get some Red-Tailed Hawks around our house to take out the squirrels who have recently taken a (destructive) interest in my suet feeder!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

BrianMac wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:42 pm Not sure where to post this, but I thought the most "bird people" would see it here.

How big is it? Like Lady Bird said, Red Tails are bigger than Coopers. Could also be a Red Shouldered Hawk.
Heidi
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:51 pm

I agree. We had anywhere from 2 to 8 of them around my house this summer... every day, every morning, loud and landing on fences, gates, and seemingly not afraid of us. And as quickly as they came, they were kind. I named the first two Ethan and Youngblood.
We usually have a mating pair patrolling our skies every year. You mentioned loud, Al. I maintain that the hawks aren't loud, but all rodents and birds are squealing, barking, and squawking to beat hell when the pair is aloft & riding the thermals. There is never a doubt when the hawks are airborne.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

My wife watched a hawk grab and fly off with a squirrel just today!! Hope it comes back for more!!!!

No video 🙁
ricky

Post by ricky »

Forgot to post "ashore" this week. I pulled up on the beach after a solid two hours of battling the meta, which was satisfying because I usually get metas within 10-30m or not at all. I had ETALIA instead of ETALII the whole time and it finally dawned on me to check how the crazy animal crossing the last letter was actually spelled, exposing my mistake.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Sigh...

No WSJCC 20201204 email.png

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Refresh
Refresh
Refresh
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:12 pm Sigh...

I was wondering who would be the first to get antsy
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:13 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:12 pm Sigh...

I was wondering who would be the first to get antsy
No, you weren't! ;-)

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Is tomorrow a holiday?
Hector

Post by Hector »

Who has the magic link?
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Check calendar - It's Thursday
Check clock - It's after 4pm ET
Check website - Still no puzzle

Lather, rinse, repeat
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

The apocalypse is nigh. Who has the Twinkies?
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer