"From Top to Bottom" - November 20, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

DrTom wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:18 pm
Dplass wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:52 am
DrTom wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:28 am Well it seems that I am in extremely good company on the ship. As I have said so many times before, the ones that everyone seems to say "WOW that was easy", trap me in my cabin and make me go down with the ship. I had all these good ideas but everything yields a letter salad that I cannot toss or even dress. Lettuce just say that so far this is beeting me, maybe because Tomato much last night but oil keep trying my asalt and pepper it with attempts hoping that I don't get carroted (when God gives you letter salad make salad puns!)
Orange you glad you have people here to talk to? I hope you can chard a course to shore.
Well it made me bananas for a while; I mean Matt was peaching but I wasn't applelyng myself apparently. Eventually I had to plum the depths of my Meta ability and poke around the puzzle for a way in. I finally sprouted wings and, while egging myself on, established my steak on the shore. But I won't be shellfish, I'll gladly share with others! (OUCH, some of these are so bad they hurt ME!)
Lettuce celebrate. You beet Matt this week.
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Solving this meta has me thinking of Gandalf trying to open the gates of Moria in The Lord of the Rings!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

After needlessly chasing wabbits, Finally had my DOH! (not really aha) moment. Can't believe I spent so much time in over-complicating this one.

On a positive note...

My months long negative streak if finally over.

And I'll whinge about the Natick at square 53. Never would have got that with google.
Rufus T. Firefly
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Finally on shore. I actually had the right answer a long time ago but I had accidentally written the wrong letter in one spot and that had me looking for something more. Glad to join the shore party for the first time in a long time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

SewYoung wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:58 am Finally on shore. I actually had the right answer a long time ago but I had accidentally written the wrong letter in one spot and that had me looking for something more. Glad to join the shore party for the first time in a long time.
Did you bring the mimosas when you joined the crowd?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

On shore! Thank you, Matt, for taking pity on me and my poor addled brain. I knew I was not going to have much meta-solving time this weekend because of board member responsibilities. I serve on an education foundation that supports our county's public school system. I oversee one of our most important programs, which provides grants to deserving teachers to fund innovative learning opportunities for their students. This year we have focused on urgent needs, which are many due to COVID-19. As part of the application process, we have instituted 15-minute Zoom interviews with the teachers who apply so that they have the opportunity to more fully explain their grant requests. Over the last three days, my fellow committee members and I have spent countless hours with these educators (virtually, of course). It has been both exhausting and inspiring. I now understand what Zoom fatigue is, and I have developed an even greater respect for these devoted, creative educators who want only the best for their students. We are thrilled to be able to grant almost $20,000 to this worthy cause!

Anyway, I had enough energy to complete the grid late last night. This morning, halfway through my second cup of coffee, I was overjoyed to have the meta-mechanism smack me in the face. Maybe I'll get some of the laundry done after all! Happy Thanksgiving, MUGgles!
Sara
Colin

Post by Colin »

At sea, but not lost,
Other priorities first,
Late Sunday or bust!
One world. One planet. One future.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our Sunday report is a bit early as we have a very crowded beach this week. We have 167 on the beach and 5 on the ship

Getting elite service on the ship since yesterday are JeanneC and Colin

Joining the very large shore are
tim1217
PJM
Fkelly
Orsys
JennyByrd
Flamingbear
NDStegs
Annabelle
Mister Squawk
kristen123
Nlobb
Haari
Rad26
Tom S
Peter L
ddb13
Diane
802puzzler
Ann
Debbie
SewYoung
and Hidden in 3D

Good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Finally on the beach! It’s a good morning for a mimosa!
Happy Safe Thanksgiving everyone!
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

Ashore! Grid yesterday and (Hopefully) answer today. BTW, the Sunday Washington Post Evan Birnholz is exquisite.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I’m embarrassed to say I’m still not there. Using the trick of posting in the hope of enlightenment. So sad about my recent slump.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Jarrod wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:45 pm Ashore! Grid yesterday and (Hopefully) answer today. BTW, the Sunday Washington Post Evan Birnholz is exquisite.
I agree! Big Brother recommended it and I Just finished it -- lots of fun!
Eguinan

Post by Eguinan »

Busy weekend but swam quickly to shore this morning.
ALS

Post by ALS »

Ashore. Didn't see it at first. But set it aside for a while and then looked again and had an epiphany about what to do.

ALS
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:38 pm On shore! Such fun, and great clue-ing (6D, 69A in particular).
Happy Thanksgiving to all Muggles near and far!
Nudge, please? Just started doing the puzzles and am getting frustrated. Always complete the puzzle quickly, but have only figured out the answer once!
ReB

Post by ReB »

On shore - I finally got to seriously look at the meta a short time ago and rather quickly swam to the beach. I guess I did have better luck this week.

I found that an often mentioned solving approach that I've ignored in the past proved invaluable this week, as I doubt I would have solved the meta otherwise. More later
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

Sorry for the late post, but Dom and I are on shore (he beat me). The disappearing grid thing still irks me, as does the WSJ support people asking for personal info before addressing it. I did supply all that was asked for, but mentioned that if they simply read the comments on their puzzles, they would see that it’s not a “me” problem, so personal info doesn’t much matter; it’s a “you” problem, so please fix it. i was more polite than that, but I have yet to receive a response.
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

This North Carolina Tarheel is on shore!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Susan Goldberg wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:02 pm I’m embarrassed to say I’m still not there. Using the trick of posting in the hope of enlightenment. So sad about my recent slump.
And the post broke the logjam! There it was! I am on shore just in the nick of time!
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Made it to shore, with relative moments to spare!

And speaking of relatives ... here's wishing all of you a blessed, safe and satisfying Thanksgiving with family and friends, whether around the table or across the country. Better days ahead! But in the meantime, please know how grateful I am for this forum and the clever souls who inhabit it.