"From Top to Bottom" - November 20, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Got it. Now on to mgwcc.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore. "Easy" puzzles always make me a little anxious. Today I saw 145 people on shore already and I did not have a answer. Then it appeared. Time for a walk!
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

Count me on shore, easiest yet for me. I needed that.
Matt / Flamingbear
NDStegs

Post by NDStegs »

We are on shore. Feels good to get there so quickly this week, after well, not doing so the past few weeks.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

MG-tuner on the right wavelength. Triangulated littoral destination. Deja vu!
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

On shore.

Any room left?
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

Happily on shore. Happy socially-distanced Thanksgiving, everyone.

Jg
haari

Post by haari »

now happily on shore... spent a long time yesterday constructing massive amounts of word stacks, lists, anagrams, acronyms, and/or other haphazard attempts that lead no where... couldn't even find anything resembling a rabbit hole to fall down! went out for a bit around the house this morning, then had a lovely afternoon nap... woke up and totally disregarded yesterday's efforts... suddenly solved in minutes... time to stretch out on the sand and bask.
an it harm none, do as thou wilt... :D :D :D
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

On shore!
This "easy" puzzle was a mystery to me for a long time.
The "hard" one last week took me 3 minutes to solve...
Another mystery!!
Rad26

Post by Rad26 »

On shore. Had one idea that did not work but led to the answer.

Happy Safe and Peaceful Thanksgiving all.
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

DrTom wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:28 am Well it seems that I am in extremely good company on the ship. As I have said so many times before, the ones that everyone seems to say "WOW that was easy", trap me in my cabin and make me go down with the ship. I had all these good ideas but everything yields a letter salad that I cannot toss or even dress. Lettuce just say that so far this is beeting me, maybe because Tomato much last night but oil keep trying my asalt and pepper it with attempts hoping that I don't get carroted (when God gives you letter salad make salad puns!)
Keep looking. The answer will turnip.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

WHEW (or PHEW) - I had gotten a PM offering a clarification (i.e. "you are doing all the wrong stuff" or "abandon that rabbit hole") and of course replied I'd take it. Then I went out tp pick up some wine I had been shipped (no I didn't drink it but that might have helped earlier) and go to the store. When I came back I thought "hmmm I wonder" and tried something I had not before. Originally I even complicated that until I saw the path that had been staring at me (and from all accounts the immediate world) for days. So I didn't need the help for a change, though I am always glad there are Angels around!

So I'm submitting - maybe with all the muggles getting "mugged" I'll end up on the receiving end?. Doesn't matter though, my reward is always the solve and this community. But PLEASE Matt/Mike can we have intermediate puzzles, easy ones make me NUTS.

not easy s.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

mpmanning wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:51 pm
DrTom wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:28 am Well it seems that I am in extremely good company on the ship. As I have said so many times before, the ones that everyone seems to say "WOW that was easy", trap me in my cabin and make me go down with the ship. I had all these good ideas but everything yields a letter salad that I cannot toss or even dress. Lettuce just say that so far this is beeting me, maybe because Tomato much last night but oil keep trying my asalt and pepper it with attempts hoping that I don't get carroted (when God gives you letter salad make salad puns!)
Keep looking. The answer will turnip.
It DID!! I kept rooting myself on and begging my brain to work harder, turns out its OK to be a rutabaga!

(I guess I should have known if anyone would fire a missle across my bow it would be you :D )
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Rad26 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:51 pm On shore. Had one idea that did not work but led to the answer.

Happy Safe and Peaceful Thanksgiving all.
Hmmm - I'd be curious to see if it was the idea I finally had, which did not work but led me to shore?
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Solved grid on Thursday but still wandering the decks on the meta. Will take a break and watch the Three Stooges. Maybe that will shake something loose.

Happy and safe Thanksgiving to all!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Landed!
ddb13

Post by ddb13 »

Happy to (finally) join the gang on shore. Wobbly legs from so long at sea!
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Safely and happily ashore after taking more than a few breaks to clear rhe mind! Happy Thanksgiving to all!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dplass wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:52 am
Orange you glad you have people here to talk to? I hope you can chard a course to shore.
Well it made me bananas for a while; I mean Matt was peaching but I wasn't applelyng myself apparently. Eventually I had to plum the depths of my Meta ability and poke around the puzzle for a way in. I finally sprouted wings and, while egging myself on, established my steak on the shore. But I won't be shellfish, I'll gladly share with others! (OUCH, some of these are so bad they hurt ME!)
Ann

Post by Ann »

Hooray! On shore