"From Top to Bottom" - November 20, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

DrTom wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:19 pm Oh LORD, one of those "easy" ones, I'm doomed!!!!

Question: Al solved in 8 minutes, making him one of the fastest cats I know....does that mean he's a cheetah? (sorry Cruise Director, your Avatar made me make that pun!)
DrTom,
You crack me up!
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Abide wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:55 pm Didn't start until noon today and nothing has "jumped out". I was alone in the bar with HeadinHome and it looks like she just walked out. I got this place to myself?!
You are not alone. I’m always at that little table in the back corner. It’s a little dark back here but more comfortable than a stool. And Isaac’s a dear but I’m trying to figure out a meta here!
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Ashore after a few tough weeks..
Abide

Post by Abide »

A feather nudge did the trick. I was overthinking this more than a little.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Ashore! Ashore! Ashore! After four long weeks at sea: Ashore! It is a nice cruise ship, yes, and the company is good, but four weeks is a long time to be domiciled there. Ashore! Just in time for California state-wide curfews and holiday quarantines. But still: Ashore!
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Done and done. Not often do I have the grid and meta solved on Friday. Feels good! Good luck Muggles.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Abide wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:55 pm Didn't start until noon today and nothing has "jumped out". I was alone in the bar with HeadinHome and it looks like she just walked out. I got this place to myself?!
There was a meta with a similar mechanism a while ago. Many solved it in short order. I barely got in under the wire on Sunday.
Jay
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore. Took me so long to see it; went down lots of rabbit holes.
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Fresh eyes did the trick -- made it to shore!
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Safely on shore. Grid was a little demanding for some reason and then needed a reset and fresh look for the meta. Nice puzzle. DH
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

On shore. Cute one!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Way, way, way overcomplicated this. But, safely on shore now.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Still 15A* and 39A from all who have solved so quickly. I just don't see it.

One rabbit hole did notice something that I'll share after the reveal, perhaps it's a spoiler and I don't get it, but still silly.

*love the shout out from Gaffney
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

No Peter; you are not alone. I am there with you. Something looked really promising but I haven't been able to make it work. Will look at it again in the morning.
Amy

Post by Amy »

Ashore!
Wow, I’d forget what it’s like.

❤️🥂 Cheers to a Happy Thanksgiving 🍻❤️
Olof

Post by Olof »

On shore. Only my second time to get the contest answer, and first time to post here!
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Ashore! Woke up early this morning getting ready to drive south from Traverse City. Is it sad that the first thing I reached for on the nightstand was the puzzle?
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Olof wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:41 am On shore. Only my second time to get the contest answer, and first time to post here!
Welcome, Olof!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well it seems that I am in extremely good company on the ship. As I have said so many times before, the ones that everyone seems to say "WOW that was easy", trap me in my cabin and make me go down with the ship. I had all these good ideas but everything yields a letter salad that I cannot toss or even dress. Lettuce just say that so far this is beeting me, maybe because Tomato much last night but oil keep trying my asalt and pepper it with attempts hoping that I don't get carroted (when God gives you letter salad make salad puns!)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

In the spirit of thanksgiving, I am thankful to not be spending another weekend on the ship! I was beginning to think that the part of my brain that solved metas had decayed. Perhaps a small part remains.

I finished the grid quickly on Thursday, didn’t see the meta and put it away. The mechanism hit me as I was falling asleep last night. It’s always nice to have something to get you out of bed in the morning.

Good luck everyone!