"AP Chemistry" - July 12, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

On shore. Took a while to have 100% confidence, but there now.
CandyB

Post by CandyB »

Submitted an answer. Not100% confident.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:45 am I have an answer which is defendable and logical but certainly not straightforward. So I am going to declare myself on shore.

By the way for any of you from not around the Boston area did you have to get 31D by getting the across letter. It certainly is not something you would know off the top of your head.
Got it from the crosses which is OK as long as I didn't have to google. Unfortunately, couldn't do that for the entire grid, though
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning. There has been a slow but steady progression to the shore. We have 12 on the ship with Isaac and 72 on the shore.

Keeping Isaac busy since yesterday are
Natalie
Tom S
Janet
Stuart
and Howard H

Getting to shore are
Frankie
Bill
Kris
Frank
phofer
31 down
Patty
markhr
Arnold
bunella
darthdriesen
DrTom
STL-D
your humble cruise director
BrianDavidson
and Stukmn
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:32 pm
markhr wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:01 pm But since the final step was not quite as, well, elegant as expected, and the constructors are not familiar to me, I do wonder if there is a "pageant" afoot here. Maybe one final turn of the screw that I neglected?
I was pretty sure there would not be any clunky steps. So I went ahead looked at that final step again and saw the elegance.
I'll be interested to see the writeup on this one, I still feel like I'm missing something. I took another look and figured out HOW the final step is supposed to work (though sadly it's not what I did), but not WHY we should think to do it that way. I mean, it's still a great puzzle even if there isn't another level, but I'll be even more impressed if there is.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Laura M wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:45 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:32 pm
markhr wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:01 pm But since the final step was not quite as, well, elegant as expected, and the constructors are not familiar to me, I do wonder if there is a "pageant" afoot here. Maybe one final turn of the screw that I neglected?
I was pretty sure there would not be any clunky steps. So I went ahead looked at that final step again and saw the elegance.
I'll be interested to see the writeup on this one, I still feel like I'm missing something. I took another look and figured out HOW the final step is supposed to work (though sadly it's not what I did), but not WHY we should think to do it that way. I mean, it's still a great puzzle even if there isn't another level, but I'll be even more impressed if there is.
Laura
I did what I did because I could not think of anything else to do. It just took me 2 1/2 days vs the 30 minutes for the pros.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Think I got this one. Will find out 12 hours from now. My first thought was terribly unsatisfying. Glad I kept at it.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:45 am By the way for any of you from not around the Boston area did you have to get 31D by getting the across letter. It certainly is not something you would know off the top of your head.
I used to live in Boston (20 years ago) but still needed most of the letters for the penny to drop. I was delighted to see it in a crossword though!
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Laura M wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:54 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:45 am By the way for any of you from not around the Boston area did you have to get 31D by getting the across letter. It certainly is not something you would know off the top of your head.
I used to live in Boston (20 years ago) but still needed most of the letters for the penny to drop. I was delighted to see it in a crossword though!
Same with my wife. She lived in Boston a long time ago, and this terminology was unknown to her. When did it come into common parlance?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

OGuyDave wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:58 pm
Same with my wife. She lived in Boston a long time ago, and this terminology was unknown to her. When did it come into common parlance?
The abbreviation for the system goes back to the 60's and the stations have been known by 31D as long as I have been here (50 years)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
AnnP

Post by AnnP »

Count me as on the ship at this point. I have a good first step but can't make that final leap. Oh well, still fun.
I thought the grid was trickier than usual but that may be a generational thing. How many of you thought of two other Ollie's before getting the answer from cross-fill?
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Isaac and I are having a grand old time, but that hasn't helped me get to shore so far...
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

OGuyDave wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:58 pm
Born and raised in the city. (MB)T(A) Stop, "Taking the T," were both part of everyday. Rode the Red Line to grade school, Red Line/Green Line to high school.
Mark "Shawmut" L.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Inca

Post by Inca »

Ok, I just submitted a post which seems to have gotten lost in cyberspace. I'll try again and if it disappears again, I'll assume it I shouldn't post it.

I got a ...answer. I like it alot. But I did go through several steps to get it and it ended in disarray which bothers me. But I find it so fitting that I will stick with it.
Carla

Post by Carla »

So, I am with the chemists, engineer, and pharmacist on this thread. I am a biology major which required 2 years of chemistry. I did what I am pretty sure are the first and second steps. Can’t figure out where to go with what I see. Started down other rabbit holes. Nada. Don’t see the elegance some solvers mention. I am guessing at the answer. That’s what I did last week, got it wrong, looked at my notes, and saw the correct answer staring right back at me. Hope this week isn’t a repeat!

If a submit an answer, but not 100% sure, am I on the boat or dog paddling right off shore? ;)
Hector

Post by Hector »

Inca, somehow I have a hunch that we came up with the same answer.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Carla wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:05 pm So, I am with the chemists, engineer, and pharmacist on this thread. I am a biology major which required 2 years of chemistry. I did what I am pretty sure are the first and second steps. Can’t figure out where to go with what I see. Started down other rabbit holes. Nada. Don’t see the elegance some solvers mention. I am guessing at the answer. That’s what I did last week, got it wrong, looked at my notes, and saw the correct answer staring right back at me. Hope this week isn’t a repeat!

If a submit an answer, but not 100% sure, am I on the boat or dog paddling right off shore? ;)
Carla
Since this is just for fun, you are where you would like to be. In my spreadsheet, I do not differentiate between being on the right beach, wrong beach, in the mouth of Jaws or anything else.

If you submit an answer even if you are 100% sure you are wrong, I declare you on shore
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

With all of the 100% comments and emphasis on solving the last step I KNOW my answer is incorrect. I have all the parts I just cannot build the finished product. I hate it when that happens. So, I'll just get ready for the head slap at midnight.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

Anticipating very lively postmortems (oxymoron?). Scalpels please.
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

AnnP wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:32 pm Count me as on the ship at this point. I have a good first step but can't make that final leap. Oh well, still fun.
I thought the grid was trickier than usual but that may be a generational thing. How many of you thought of two other Ollie's before getting the answer from cross-fill?
I still don't know what "Ollie" they are talking about, but it filled itself in when I got the other answers. Must be getting too old, or not old enough?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!