"Closing Credits" - November 13, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

On the beach after a friend told me I was swimming towards the wrong shore. A head slapper. How did I not notice that.

Some cool rabbit holes. I can hardly wait until Monday.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Lost at sea. I don't believe that is a spoiler.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Cindy wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:10 pm And our crew completed Puzzle Boat 7! 146 puzzles, nine solvers, five weeks! It was hard but lots of fun.

Thank you Al, Damefox, Oldjudge, Abide, Docison, LesY, Billkatz, Will.
Wow - congrats! I can’t even imagine.
ALECgator13

Post by ALECgator13 »

Wow I feel like I have a great start on this one, but can’t seem to figure out a couple of things...then what the next steps might be...hmm
Inca

Post by Inca »

I finally got it. And, as any of you who know me already know, I am not a fan of this at all. I had a feeling I would have to go there and I resisted but gave in at the end. I am surprised because I thought this was more of an MG mechanism than one Mike uses.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I have safely made it to shore!
burak

Post by burak »

Just finished the grid and completely lost at sea. I have a strong suspicion that this will turn out to be an underwhelming mechanism that may involve the grid very minimally, but I hope to be proven wrong in the next 24 hours, preferably via a nice aha moment.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Ashore. I forgot to post in the haze of Puzzle-Boating. Highly recommend it! And thank you to KitchenDiva for being our Captain!
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Trying to solve the meta and it occurred to me I remember "Apartment Zero"...it was a lower-budget British movie from about 30 years ago that was highly regarded among filmsters at the time that was something suspenseful involving roommates. I forget, exactly. :)

Anyway, the one piece that has stuck with me through the years is one of them is a film nerd and plays a game a la 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon, but you name 3 actors and the other person(s) have to name the movie they were all in. The key is to not do obvious (Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci, Robert Deniro) but to mix in people in different stages of their career and in varying level of import to the film itself. I think about this all the time when I watch a movie.

Like... Seth Rogen, Drew Barrymore, Katharine Ross.
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

Clever and fun.
And Ashore
mheverson

Post by mheverson »

Would love a tiny nudge. Been down way too many rabbit holes and can't find my way back to a simple entry point any more :)
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

MikeM000 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:35 am Trying to solve the meta and it occurred to me I remember "Apartment Zero"...it was a lower-budget British movie from about 30 years ago that was highly regarded among filmsters at the time that was something suspenseful involving roommates. I forget, exactly. :)

Anyway, the one piece that has stuck with me through the years is one of them is a film nerd and plays a game a la 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon, but you name 3 actors and the other person(s) have to name the movie they were all in. The key is to not do obvious (Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci, Robert Deniro) but to mix in people in different stages of their career and in varying level of import to the film itself. I think about this all the time when I watch a movie.

"He's Just Not That Into the Knocked-up Graduate"
Jay
ADS

Post by ADS »

Ashore. Didn’t like this one very much. But I’ll take the win, and on to next week.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles

I am watching the masters while putting up the status so if there are mistakes it is because I can not multitask. And Tiger made us all feel good by putting up a 10 on the par 3 12th hole.

A warm welcome to our newest muggle mheverson. Welcome to the clan

We have 27 on the ship and 98 on the shore

Enjoying the ship since yesterday are streroto
SewYoung
Colin
ALS
copperriver
FrankH
Burak
ALECgator13
MikeM000
and mheverson

Making their way to shore are

Beth C
joe
Crest
ky-mike
whimsy
Trey and Marion (well Marion dragging her boat anchor)
phofer
Orsys
Prozach
KscX
JennyByrd
Billkatz
LesY
Inca
labray53
and jimbo1

Good luck to all winning the mug and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Bird Lives wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:00 pm

"He's Just Not That Into the Knocked-up Graduate"
[/quote]

You and I are of the same vintage: I immediately thought of "The Graduate" when I saw Ms. Ross's name, too!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

On shore. I chose to ignore Mike Shenk's hints and made this harder than it turned out to be.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Dow Jones wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:42 pm On shore. I chose to ignore Mike Shenk's hints and made this harder than it turned out to be.
Yes, that is exactly the nudge that I am giving this week!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
KFB

Post by KFB »

Dig new hole > returning to old hole expecting to find something. Mental landscape turning into wack-a-mole board. Would give closing credits to anyone who could help with a nudge.
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

LesY wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:40 am Ashore. I forgot to post in the haze of Puzzle-Boating. Highly recommend it! And thank you to KitchenDiva for being our Captain!
Now I'm confused! After reading the post on Puzzle Boat 7, curiosity set in and Google and Twitter took me to a list of recent solvers. I see KitchenDiva, but thought for sure you would be The Droid Pirate Rarebits! I guess I'm going to abandon Dead Reckoning and switch to GPS.

Congrats to all solvers.
yungchap

Post by yungchap »

on shore this week! really enjoyed this one, only because there were many possible paths and it was a delight to discover the correct one.