"AP Chemistry" - July 12, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
markhr

Post by markhr »

I went through the process and found the (apparently) intended answer, so I consider myself on shore. But since the final step was not quite as, well, elegant as expected, and the constructors are not familiar to me, I do wonder if there is a "pageant" afoot here. Maybe one final turn of the screw that I neglected? In baseball terms, it's like batting against a pitcher I've never seen before. I not sure what kind of stuff they bring.

Anyway, I'm 95 percent certain that I'm on the correct shore. If that's not the case, I will grouse after the deadline.
Stukmn

Post by Stukmn »

On shore, though like many others feel like I missed a step to get to the answer. Hopefully it’s not a “pageant” puzzle.
Don’t bother me until I’ve had my coffee and done the crossword.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Relying on Isaac's chemistry skills tonight.
HowardHuddleston

Post by HowardHuddleston »

Enjoying Isaac’s mixology abilities as well. Difficult grid for me, don’t like using references that much and some obtuseness there, maybe my own! Haven’t been doing Pete’s stuff so may have to change that....hoping for a miracle here (not a miracle rabbit, either!).
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

I’m ashore.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:44 pm
I know. I am trying to find that nonesoteric solution. Unfortunately since I have not seen these constructors, the approach will have to have been done by Mike or Matt
You can do this! You don’t need to know the constructors. You know enough about solving metas.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

markhr wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:01 pm I went through the process and found the (apparently) intended answer, so I consider myself on shore. But since the final step was not quite as, well, elegant as expected, and the constructors are not familiar to me, I do wonder if there is a "pageant" afoot here. Maybe one final turn of the screw that I neglected? In baseball terms, it's like batting against a pitcher I've never seen before. I not sure what kind of stuff they bring.

Anyway, I'm 95 percent certain that I'm on the correct shore. If that's not the case, I will grouse after the deadline.
I think you have the right answer.

I also think I did the same thing you did. But since I am familiar with one of the constructors (and the editor) I was pretty sure there would not be any clunky steps. So I went ahead looked at that final step again and saw the elegance.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Still hanging with Mix-master Isaac.

I have a guess, but I am sure it is incorrect.

One class requirement from the Chemistry degree, switched to Chemical Engineering and did that for years. Now retired. Still don't see it. I'll kick myself Monday, but still enjoy going through it.

Beautiful summer day, and more expected.
Rufus T. Firefly
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

It took me some time, but I made it to shore. I had the right idea, but missed something my first couple times.
darthdriessen

Post by darthdriessen »

I'm ashore. 100% for first time in about a month. Very clever.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

I am again literally at sea but figuratively on land. But since I am not familiar with the constructors, and don't know how complex they made their first puzzle here, I may well be on one of the pieces of floating ice I saw earlier today. If I am underthinking, and given the way the title is written, it may be a PAGEANT for me.
TMart

Post by TMart »

I don’t think this is a PAGEANT. After I did what I thought I had to do, I came up with what appeared to be gibberish. Then I remembered my mantra: “Always print, always highlight”. And then the answer was obvious.
Patty

Post by Patty »

After several weeks LAS followed by Monday morning, 'aahh, I could have solved that' I have my toes in the sand. What makes me uncertain that I'm correct is that I had to use google to confirm and it seems as though I am alone in that respect. So, on a shore with an answer that I like but it could be the wrong beach. Happy weekend to all!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

markhr wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:01 pm I went through the process and found the (apparently) intended answer, so I consider myself on shore. But since the final step was not quite as, well, elegant as expected, and the constructors are not familiar to me, I do wonder if there is a "pageant" afoot here. Maybe one final turn of the screw that I neglected? In baseball terms, it's like batting against a pitcher I've never seen before. I not sure what kind of stuff they bring.

And facing that pitcher, you are afraid of a little chin music
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
STL-D

Post by STL-D »

On shore! I'll echo a couple of sentiments: this is a 100%er and it is a very elegant puzzle.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

I have an answer which is defendable and logical but certainly not straightforward. So I am going to declare myself on shore.

By the way for any of you from not around the Boston area did you have to get 31D by getting the across letter. It certainly is not something you would know off the top of your head.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

31D was one of several that I got from the crosses or inferred after having most letters. For me that made the grid challenging but fun. I don’t like having to google just to do a grid, but I don’t mind new stuff I can figure out.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:04 am 31D was one of several that I got from the crosses or inferred after having most letters. For me that made the grid challenging but fun. I don’t like having to google just to do a grid, but I don’t mind new stuff I can figure out.
The term is standard for this area
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

bunella wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:59 pm Not having taken chemistry, I thought I'd be at a loss but with a little push from a solving pal I was able to get it.

Onshore and pretzels for all.
The main reason I sent in an answer is so I could get some of the pretzels that you stole (yes stole) from Isaac's bar :lol:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

TMart wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:34 am I don’t think this is a PAGEANT. After I did what I thought I had to do, I came up with what appeared to be gibberish. Then I remembered my mantra: “Always print, always highlight”. And then the answer was obvious.
I went through the gibberish phase many times before seeing the rabbit's tail and finally grabbing the elusive hare
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director