"Fresh Start" - November 6, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

DrTom wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:25 am Fun Muggle Zoom this evening and quite informative. We learned that we have at least two National TV stars who have appeared on Game Shows. One, "Bird Lives" was a Jeopardy contestant but so far back that a big day's win was $500 (which was probably only slightly more than needed to pay the stagecoach that dropped him off) and another, "Abide", was a Who Wants to Be a Millionaire contestant along with his daughter(if you are curious it was the Thanksgiving show from 2000) and they got to play because they knew their Alien TV shows! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKPXxqN ... I&index=61

Don't miss these folks they are a lot of fun and who knows what kind of TV talent you'll see!
Great show and great family - thanks for sharing

Peter - if you had watched more James Bond movies, you would have known that M was a lepidopterist. (that was one of few that I would have known)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I completely agree with Bob. Really enjoyed watching that.
"Peter - if you had watched more James Bond movies, you would have known that M was a lepidopterist. (that was one of few that I would have known)"
I knew that one from a very old Jerry Lewis movie (Yeah, yeah, I know... all Jerry Lewis movies are old) with a young Jerry Lewis. That's the only reason that I knew that word.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Fun fact: My lepidopterist lifeline was a doctor in Pennsylvania who I had "met" through the old NYT Crosswords forum, a great group much like this one. Who says crosswords don't pay?
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow, Peter I cannot believe they asked you a question YOU could not answer but that I could have. Just shows you how stores of relatively useless knowledge gets stored over the years. So was one of the choices for the word, "someone who takes in stray panthers?"
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Abide wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:08 pm Fun fact: My lepidopterist lifeline was a doctor in Pennsylvania who I had "met" through the old NYT Crosswords forum, a great group much like this one. Who says crosswords don't pay?
Not to pry but what are your beautiful girls doing 20 years later?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Abide

Post by Abide »

They are all doing well and off the payroll. I will send you a PM.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

DrTom wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:25 am Fun Muggle Zoom this evening and quite informative. We learned that we have at least two National TV stars who have appeared on Game Shows. One, "Bird Lives" was a Jeopardy contestant but so far back that a big day's win was $500 (which was probably only slightly more than needed to pay the stagecoach that dropped him off) and another, "Abide", was a Who Wants to Be a Millionaire contestant along with his daughter(if you are curious it was the Thanksgiving show from 2000) and they got to play because they knew their Alien TV shows! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKPXxqN ... I&index=61

Don't miss these folks they are a lot of fun and who knows what kind of TV talent you'll see!
This was so cool! How exciting that I know a TV star! (OK, maybe that should be I "know" a TV "star" :)

Wish we could see Bird on Jeopardy too.
Abide

Post by Abide »

BarbaraK wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:40 pm

Wish we could see Bird on Jeopardy too.
[/quote]

Ask and ye shall receive:

https://montclairsoci.blogspot.com/2020 ... s-but.html

http://montclairsoci.blogspot.com/2020/ ... n-and.html
—Brian MacDonald
C=64

Post by C=64 »

C=64 approves!
Attachments
20200604_203605.jpg
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

C=64 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:17 pmC=64 approves!
So, I'm assuming this is you C=64 as opposed to some random Jeopardy player? Gosh but we have a lot of game show contestants in our midst. I'm inspired, I might have to take the online test just to see if I can join the club!

Congrats to all who have scaled that hill because I'd bet it is no easy task.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Hey, my winnings on Jeopardy were considerably more than $500 if you include the 20 volumes of the worst encyclopedia in the world that it took me months to unload on some unsuspecting grade school. Even so, it was a mere fraction of what Peter walked away with. But then, I didn't have the assistance of a smart, cute daughter with lots of stage presence.
Jay
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:31 am

Hey, my winnings on Jeopardy were considerably more than $500 if you include the 20 volumes of the worst encyclopedia in the world that it took me months to unload on some unsuspecting grade school. Even so, it was a mere fraction of what Peter walked away with. But then, I didn't have the assistance of a smart, cute daughter with lots of stage presence.
Oh, the $500 was an estimate of what a good day might have been back then considering what they are now. I mean the fuzzy picture we were able to see had you at the handsome sum of $40? You may not have matched Peter but your Jeopardy winnings are still many hundreds of percent greater than mine (since i have not been on that revered program).

I did have a suit like that though (and hair and a beard) once, I believe I had mine made into an area rug (the suit, not the hair or beard), or at least the lapels.