"I See Right Through You" - October 30, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Ashore!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

boharr wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:31 pm
juliet wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:27 pm I needed to step away from the WSJ Crossword Puzzle and Muggles, but thought this week might be a good time to return, however the puzzle isn't coming up on the WSJ website and Joe's Excel file downloads as read only. . . are there any tips or hints available for pulling up the puzzle (other than pdf file)?
I think you have to save Joe's file to your dive with another name before you can work on it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Or PM Joe.

I tried to attach a .puz file here but it would not allow me to.

Thank you, Bob.

I apologize for only seeing this, now.

It depends on how you have Office or Excel set up and whether you allow Excel files to open in your browser. However, saving the file to your hard or cloud drive will allow you to work on it. I recommend changing the name.

Depending on how the file is saved or opened, there may be a buttoned option to edit, which will force the file to be saved on your drive

The file that is downloaded is saved on my cloud drive. If I didn't make it read-only, then everyone's changes would be made to the file that following muggles will download. I learned this the hard way, early on.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Colin

Post by Colin »

Is this the real life?
Is this just history?
Caught in a meta, though escaped from reality.
Open your crypt,
Look out for the script - lost at sea...
I’m just a poor boy,
I need no swim to shore.
Because I’m easy come, easy go,
I can’t see
through you, so,
Take me where the ghouls go,
Nothing’s 17-across to me.....
To me.
One world. One planet. One future.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

EVJ wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:49 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:35 pm
EVJ wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:27 pm It seems the clock on xword-muggles.com
did not “fall back”.
The posts are showing the correct time for me
I’m glad it’s not a system wide thing. Must just be me. I won’t worry about it. Thx!
You might need to go to the User Control Panel, under "Board Preferences" and manually change the time. That's what I had to do.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

BrianMac wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:19 pm
EVJ wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:49 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:35 pm
The posts are showing the correct time for me
I’m glad it’s not a system wide thing. Must just be me. I won’t worry about it. Thx!
You might need to go to the User Control Panel, under "Board Preferences" and manually change the time. That's what I had to do.
Thanks! I’ll try that.
But first things first. I’m still LAS.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Ashore.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is a little early. We have 21 on the ship and 127 on the shore.

And we have our newest muggle - ddb13 who has joined the group on the ship

And making their way to the shore are

Billkatz
Richard
the Thurman8er
Grover
LittleGood
phofer
ALS
Ann
and Nlobb

Good luck to all winning the mug and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Deep in the rabbit holes but a nudge brought me to shore. No mug for me except for a nice mug of hot chocolate.
matthewmoravec

Post by matthewmoravec »

On shore, much easier than last week but still fun.
ddb13

Post by ddb13 »

Believe I may have arrived on shore; but with helpful lifelines from others. Many thanks. New at this and it takes a little adjusting to get going.
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

Finally got to the puzzle with just a couple hours to spare. Happy to report I am on shore.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

After multiple nudges, and lots of help from SIL we are finally ASHORE!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

As per usual, great puzzle but one I did not get until nudged. There was WAY too much a temptation in the GRID that I desperately tried to make fit, even though at one point I had grokked (just found out thanks to spellcheck that there are two ks in grokked!) to what the mechanism had to be but didn't apply it correctly.

So ashore but again no submission because I submitted to the nudge.

There are just days when you feel so METAless, I suppose those days should be either Tuesdays or Fridays?

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

But while on the subject of Halloween and ghosts, I used to have so much fun as a kid going trick or treating that I could not let the pandemic ruin all the kid's fun. However, the wife and I are high risk (age and hypertension) so I did not want scores of little petri dishes walking up to the door to get candy...what to do, what to do.

So, I was able to get some small muslin bags to fill with candy and I made a table and a "Candy Ghost" to deliver the goodies. I was quite proud of myself because I used stuff I had laying around and it turned out pretty good. See the attached pic:

Candy Ghost.jpg
For those who cannot see it that well, the sign reads "Kids, take only one pack of candy each...or I'll follow you home!" and the ghost's "hand" points to the candy. The kids seemed to get a kick out of it and one little Spider loudly proclaimed to his sister "Emmy, only ONE or he will follow us home!"
I think I may have the start of a tradition?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Oh, and this just cracked me up...

Peter Peter.jpg
Sara Dacus

Post by Sara Dacus »

Been staring at 17 across, 28 down, and 57 across for quite some time. Is anyone giving an 11th hour nudge? Hate it that this one is easier than last week and I am still drawing blanks. Help and thank you!
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Dr Tom,
YOU crack me up!😂
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

EVJ wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:06 pm Dr Tom,
YOU crack me up!😂
Does that get me an Idaho ho ho?

Glad you liked it I chuckled for 20 minutes and still do when I read it again.

T
TPS

Post by TPS »

I just realized something - Ron Swanson definitely would have been a fan of meta crossword puzzles. My evidence is he is frequently doing crossword puzzles in the early seasons of P&R and he loves riddles/puzzles and in solving a puzzle in S4 he uses a frequent method used in meta puzzles and comes up with it extremely quickly.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20201030 WSJCC I See Right Through You.gif
Last edited by Joe Ross on Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!