"I See Right Through You" - October 30, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I’ve arrived on the beach. This was a tricky one—it certainly didn’t play the way I originally thought it would. My other rabbit holes were similar to part of the successful mechanism. To say any more would be to risk a spoiler. All is good, though. Time for a Margarita!
LizD

Post by LizD »

hunkra wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:20 pm
whimsy wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:46 pm
SewYoung wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:07 pm
I am right there with you Liz. Just not seeing anything yet. A drink and sleep sounds like a good plan.
May I join you ladies at the bar? :P
I'm still on the ship and not seeing it either.

In celebration of Halloween, and to sum up sometimes "getting it" and sometimes not --- I offer you all ---
Chocolate!
Because sometimes you feel like a nut, and sometimes you don't.
Capturemounds.JPG
May I also join you at the bar?
Don't want to be alone on the ship and I come bearing bags of York Peppermint Patties :)
Well it's becoming a regular ladies' night out on the ship! 😁 Seems like I'll be here for while, so I'm happy to have such lovely company. I'll have a glass of Drambuie and share my Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
I don't have an inner child... I have an inner old lady. :geek:

Meta solver by night, proud independent bookstore owner by day!
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

Edit: got a couple of nudges, still working through it. Thanks!
Last edited by Franklin.Bluth on Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

ImOnToo wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:20 pm as we pored over the grid. :) )

It makes this persnickety copy editor's evening that you spotted and fixed that typo! Hardly ANYBODY gets that one right!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
TPS

Post by TPS »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:05 pm

It makes this persnickety copy editor's evening that you spotted and fixed that typo! Hardly ANYBODY gets that one right!
That is why I keep a copy of Gardner on my desk for when I actually draft briefs and motions. Thankfully, I don’t have to do that anymore! However, I am going to have to do a fair amount of regulation drafting which is its own beast.
juliet

Post by juliet »

I needed to step away from the WSJ Crossword Puzzle and Muggles, but thought this week might be a good time to return, however the puzzle isn't coming up on the WSJ website and Joe's Excel file downloads as read only. . . are there any tips or hints available for pulling up the puzzle (other than pdf file)?
boharr

Post by boharr »

juliet wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:27 pm I needed to step away from the WSJ Crossword Puzzle and Muggles, but thought this week might be a good time to return, however the puzzle isn't coming up on the WSJ website and Joe's Excel file downloads as read only. . . are there any tips or hints available for pulling up the puzzle (other than pdf file)?
I think you have to save Joe's file to your dive with another name before you can work on it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Or PM Joe.

I tried to attach a .puz file here but it would not allow me to.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

juliet wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:27 pm I needed to step away from the WSJ Crossword Puzzle and Muggles, but thought this week might be a good time to return, however the puzzle isn't coming up on the WSJ website and Joe's Excel file downloads as read only. . . are there any tips or hints available for pulling up the puzzle (other than pdf file)?
If you're having general trouble with the WSJ website, you might try clearing their cookies and cache. But they changed the puzzle page format a while back, and depending on your device/browser it may not work/work well.

You can just get a .puz from Martin's site here: http://tinyurl.com/mugglespuz

And this should get you the puzzle on the WSJ website:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/djcs-prod/publ ... index.html
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

I don’t know WHAT I was thinking! Was mortified. I KNOW better!
Konnie
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

What do you want, good grammar or good taste?

Surely you remember that :lol:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

While we’re on the subject. One of my favorite Halloween costumes.
“It’s Pat!”
Attachments
2A960C72-3230-4947-9F85-6B747F26BB1F.jpeg
Konnie
C=64

Post by C=64 »

You really honed in on that one.
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

"A lot of people say, Who's that?...... It's Pat!"
ImOnToo wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:51 pm While we’re on the subject. One of my favorite Halloween costumes.
“It’s Pat!”
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

On shore after hitting many dead ends! I didn't find this one easy, but that made it all the more satisfying.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I was HOping for a quick solve but that isn't happening. The goOD side of this is that I can join in at the chocolate bar! I'm headED over there right now with some 100 Grand Bars. Perhaps the meta will diVULge its secrets tomorrow. Or it will continue to torTURE me.
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:34 pm ... I'll miss my neighbors, again, & the usual hordes of kids. I feel bad for them.
We live in a village-like neighborhood popular with the kids and each year hand out about 1200-1500 pieces of candy (no kidding -- and some houses close by give out far more). We love it, the kids are so cute and the parents range from dignified and parental to costumed-up and hysterical.

But this year we decided to stay dark, and in any event we ended up visiting my Mom (where it's snowing in October) anyway.

So, like Joe, I feel bad for the kids. So many restrictions. Totally unfair.

Back at the puzzle, the grid is complete and I am staring at the yet-unsolved meta.

By the way, I have never heard of 33D and I have done plenty of 33D'ing in my day.
JustAQuickThought
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Have to post. It’s after 2:00 in the morning and my first grandchild is born! Everyone is fine! Halloween baby! Won’t be able to see him until we get tested. 2020 isn’t all bad!
Heidi
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Done and done. I'll celebrate with a mimosa this morning! Good luck Muggles.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

JAQT wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:13 am
By the way, I have never heard of 33D and I have done plenty of 33D'ing in my day.
I had to google it to make sure I had it right. If, however, they had clued it toward the Mexican pro wrestling tradition of lucha libre, I would've known it in a heartbeat.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

On shore at last. Kept getting distracted by something silly, then realized exactly what was needed.

Looking out at my bird feeders this morning and surprisingly didn't see any birds at all. I thought maybe one of the neighborhood cats was around. That is, until this guy swooped in.
Attachments
20201031_084835.jpg