"I See Right Through You" - October 30, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:34 pm
SewYoung wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:51 pm
CPJohnson wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:58 am

Us, too. We plan to turn off all the lights and hibernate in the bedroom at the back of the house. UPS delivery might cause us to reveal we're home, though.
We have lived in this house for 10 years and despite there being several children in the neighborhood, we have never had any trick-or-treaters. I always buy one bag of candy, just in case. I get something that we like, but put it out of sight (and hopefully out of mind) so we don't eat it before Halloween night.
Normally get around 300 kids every year, but only know a handful of neighbor twerps or their visiting grandchildren. The remaining are shipped in from outside of the neighborhood, which is fine. They are great kids, fun, and appreciative.

Usually I sit with neighbors in a line at end of our cul-de-sac, allowing socialization & saving trick-or-treaters time. Due to recent surge, I am not handing out candy, this year, with the exception of delivering 2 full-sized candy bars to each neighbor twerp & grand-twerp that I do know.

Last year we had a heavy downpour all night, so we handed out at the door for the first time in 20 years. I'll miss my neighbors, again, & the usual hordes of kids. I feel bad for them.
We usually get about 200 kids, all from the neighborhood as far as I can tell. The numbers may be going down as kids age out. I'm on a corner. I missed last year since I was riding a camel in the Sahara desert.
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

Still new at metas and could use a nudge, thx

Thanks for the nudge! Got it!
Last edited by JaneGummy on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
beccacollins

Post by beccacollins »

If any of you masterful solvers don't mind... I have a question about the track I'm on. Please DM me.
NuYear68

Post by NuYear68 »

Back ashore after a couple of weeks lost at sea. I guess we should be drinking Zombies or Bloody Marys this weekend?

Happy Halloween!
Paul
Kas

Post by Kas »

Grid done, Meta hasn't popped out at me yet--hoping to end my streak of dumb...but then, I'm starting to rack of frequent flyer points at Isaac's, so either way...
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Janet wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:51 pm
SewYoung wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:51 pm
We have lived in this house for 10 years and despite there being several children in the neighborhood, we have never had any trick-or-treaters. I always buy one bag of candy, just in case. I get something that we like, but put it out of sight (and hopefully out of mind) so we don't eat it before Halloween night.
Normally get around 300 kids every year, but only know a handful of neighbor twerps or their visiting grandchildren. The remaining are shipped in from outside of the neighborhood, which is fine. They are great kids, fun, and appreciative.

Usually I sit with neighbors in a line at end of our cul-de-sac, allowing socialization & saving trick-or-treaters time. Due to recent surge, I am not handing out candy, this year, with the exception of delivering 2 full-sized candy bars to each neighbor twerp & grand-twerp that I do know.

Last year we had a heavy downpour all night, so we handed out at the door for the first time in 20 years. I'll miss my neighbors, again, & the usual hordes of kids. I feel bad for them.
We usually get about 200 kids, all from the neighborhood as far as I can tell. The numbers may be going down as kids age out. I'm on a corner. I missed last year since I was riding a camel in the Sahara desert.
Janet
Where did you go? We were considering Morocco and they had a camel ride which I thought was a bit touristy so we went with Florence, Elba, Corsica and Nice however that was supposed to be in April and that did not happen.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

On shore! Took a lot longer than it should have.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

whimsy wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:46 pm
SewYoung wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:07 pm
LizD wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:37 pm Well, this is embarrassing. I seem to be the only one so far who is willing to admit that I am not seeing the solution! Maybe my confidence is shot after last week. Hoping a drink and a sleep will bring ideas... :?
I am right there with you Liz. Just not seeing anything yet. A drink and sleep sounds like a good plan.
May I join you ladies at the bar? :P
I'm still on the ship and not seeing it either.

In celebration of Halloween, and to sum up sometimes "getting it" and sometimes not --- I offer you all ---
Chocolate!
Because sometimes you feel like a nut, and sometimes you don't.
Capturemounds.JPG
May I also join you at the bar?
Don't want to be alone on the ship and I come bearing bags of York Peppermint Patties :)
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
David R

Post by David R »

That meta was pretty terrifying but I made it through.
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

On shore after a longer than usual grid and meta. I'm definitely labeling this above a 2 - it's a solid 3 in my book. Didn't have a grid answer(s) correct to start (though would argue it could rationally be correct) so that put me on a little detour. A cold Alaskan White Ale is waiting.
Tom Mueller

Post by Tom Mueller »

On the beach!
Crusagrama

Post by Crusagrama »

On shore! Have all but one grid cell, luckily I didn't need it.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

I am currently LAS. We are visiting grandkids in Tennessee but driving home tomorrow to deal with the mess left by hurricane Zeta. A hole in the roof, the chimney blown down, and no power! It will be a weird, scary Halloween for sure. Maybe there will be time to work on the meta in between cleaning up debris and throwing out spoiled food???
Janet

Post by Janet »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:44 pm
Janet wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:51 pm

Janet
Where did you go? We were considering Morocco and they had a camel ride which I thought was a bit touristy so we went with Florence, Elba, Corsica and Nice however that was supposed to be in April and that did not happen.
Bob,
I spent 2 weeks in Morocco with Road Scholar. Went all over the country. The camel ride and tent camping in the Sahara was touristy, but fun! That was just one day. This spring I was going to go to Canada for a week, but the pandemic put a stop to that.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Nlobb wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:24 pm I am currently LAS. We are visiting grandkids in Tennessee but driving home tomorrow to deal with the mess left by hurricane Zeta. A hole in the roof, the chimney blown down, and no power! It will be a weird, scary Halloween for sure. Maybe there will be time to work on the meta in between cleaning up debris and throwing out spoiled food???
So sorry to hear about all the destruction! I would think that would take priority, but you'll need to have some diversion from all of that. Stay safe!
Heidi
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

On shore!

Wouldn't call this a gimme...at least for me. But, my weekend is saved and I'm freed up for college football!

Side note: my husband tried his darndest to help me get last weeks meta. (Lots of silence around our house as we pored over the grid. :) )
And, he was solving this week's meta right along with me.

I'm going to make a muggle out of him yet!
Last edited by ImOnToo on Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konnie
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Ashore yesterday, but never posted.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Ashore!

Thought I was going to strike out for another week but furiously dog-paddled to the beach after that “aha” moment.
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

JaneGummy wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:53 pm Still new at metas and could use a nudge, thx
PM one of us with what you have done and we will give a course correction
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

On shore! Was lucky this week to see it immediately.